What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Streaky bacon, and a large tomato microwaved and covered in the remaining cheese sauce from the cauli cheese I made a day or so ago.

2nd meal will be lamb tagine.

Today is a baking day - Em's 11th birthday is on Monday and her mum doesn't have time to bake a cake for her, so I have one planned. She likes lemon drizzle best, so it will be that but with a fondant icing covering and floral decorations. I see it as an elegant cake since she is getting so sophisticated these days but with 2 candles making the 11, more like Roman Candle fireworks - just for fun. Need to get it done before she comes in from school.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Near as dammit OMAD today. We had to go to Plymouth this morning so just black coffee, then treated ourselves to lunch at Nando’s while we were there. Butterfly chicken breast, rainbow slaw, broccoli and a side of Halloumi to share.
Home by early aft and had a DGF cake with a cup of tea.
Been out this evening watching a local sea shanty group, it was really good fun but I stuck to Diet Coke although I’d have loved a pint of cider. View attachment 62821
I’ve never been in a Nados but that looks good enough to make me want to give them a go!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter and avocado slices seasoned with black pepper, plus a wedge of Gorwydd Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablets
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover Ceviche.
Lettuce, Romano peppers, celery sticks and cherry toms with a dollop of homemade mayonnaise for dipping.
Almonds and hazelnuts.
Water to drink.
Wild blackberries to round off lunch.

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad made with sweet cicely, vine tomatoes, lemon verbena, Kalamata olives and mustard cress, dressed with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice, topped with toasted pine nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: avocado with prawns, mayo and coleslaw.
2023-08-25 18.46.31.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy birthday to Em @Annb . She'll be delighted with her cake. Friday 25 August - bed 5.4 FBG 6.7.

Foot/leg is still improving. I've done the bulk of my shopping online for tomorrow, but there were still odds and sods I wanted today. Made a trip to Tesco after I dropped the boys home. Leg still not 100% but better than it was earlier this week.

B. Just water again until later.

LC granola with 3 sliced strawberries today, sugar-free coconut milk and Benecol dairy free. Of course, TAG.

L. After the Tesco visit, cheese and ham toastie made with SRSLY bread.

D. Back to my crispy sea bass. I had lettuce, tomato, and veg salad with it today (mainly because hubby wanted my mac and cheese made from scratch, which took time). CC little chocolate pot.
20230825_183349.jpg

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of lovely menu ideas, thank you :hungry:

Had forgotten about a couple packets of chipolatas hiding at the back of the fridge, the 'best by date' expired yesterday, so I quickly popped them all in the oven. I had intended to cook them up all at once, storing them in fridge for the odd snack - better late than never.

Breakfast; 6 or 7 chipolatas.

Rewarded myself with a G&T after a couple of hours painting our garden fence... this is the first day of painting and I can see it's going to take quite a few days/weeks. Intend to do a couple of hours a day, it'll be a good achievement when I finish.

Dinner; cold roast chicken breast, tomatoes and cucumber (out of the garden), chopped stick of celery, good tablespoon of Lidl's creamy coleslaw,

Double cream with a spoonful of cocoa.

Today's carbs come in just under 12g.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grace04 I love Nando’s we used to live quite near one but we live in Cornwall now and there isn’t a branch in the whole county. It’s a very good restaurant for us low carbers!
Em’s birthday cake sounds wonderful @Annb I’m sure she’ll love it.
Looks like super crispy skin on your sea bass again @maglil55 - time I had another go.
Todays food
B- feta and spinach omelette with chilli sauerkraut.
L- packet of Cheesies and some Montezuma’s absolute black chocolate.
D- mixed grill: air fried pork chop ( rind cut off at the end and given an extra zap in the hot airfryer, thanks for the tip @AndBreathe )and chipolatas, Fried hogget liver and onions. Wilted spinach. 2 glasses red. More 100% choc with clotted cream.
I bought 1/2 a hogget from this organic Welsh hill farm: https://www.dolwenlambandbeef.co.uk this week and was happy to see they’d given me the organ meat too. I don’t fancy the heart much though so it’s been chopped up for dog treats - they love it.
IMG_3252.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: cold chicken wings and tea.

2nd meal: there's lots of the tagine left but there's also white fish from the supermarket that won't last so I'll have to use that - goujons, I think and fried with a ground nut crust (pecan, not groundnut). That with some broccoli florets and I'll see if that's any better than cauliflower.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Behind again …Thursday was Fish Finger Firsday chunky cod with tenderstem broccoli.
Friday usual brekkie of slice LC toast and copious tea.
Lunch was a small wedge of farmhouse cheese (Durris) and handful of h/g cherry toms.
Supper was baked chicken and cauli cheese.
Today same brekkie.
Lunch will be salad and cheese (have a haul from a visit to the farm shop during the week)
Supper is going to be Indian t/a so Tandoori King Prawns and cauli bhajee for me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grace04 I love Nando’s we used to live quite near one but we live in Cornwall now and there isn’t a branch in the whole county. It’s a very good restaurant for us low carbers!
Em’s birthday cake sounds wonderful @Annb I’m sure she’ll love it.
Looks like super crispy skin on your sea bass again @maglil55 - time I had another go.
Todays food
B- feta and spinach omelette with chilli sauerkraut.
L- packet of Cheesies and some Montezuma’s absolute black chocolate.
D- mixed grill: air fried pork chop ( rind cut off at the end and given an extra zap in the hot airfryer, thanks for the tip @AndBreathe )and chipolatas, Fried hogget liver and onions. Wilted spinach. 2 glasses red. More 100% choc with clotted cream.
I bought 1/2 a hogget from this organic Welsh hill farm: https://www.dolwenlambandbeef.co.uk this week and was happy to see they’d given me the organ meat too. I don’t fancy the heart much though so it’s been chopped up for dog treats - they love it. View attachment 62830
MrB slashes the rind when he takes it off. It helps it fluff even more and makes it easier to cut into bite sized pieces. :) Less chance of lacerations wrangling mega chunks.

Airfried pork chops with crackling are a masterstroke.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops topped with chopped, flat-leaf parsley, asparagus spears with a generous knob of butter, all seasoned with black pepper.
Espresso.

L: Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and sage, baked with red peppers and aubergines, moistened with cream and topped with grated Cheddar cheese.
Steamed runner beans with a knob of butter.
Salad using lettuce, Romano peppers, vine tomatoes, Welsh onions, mint and Kalamata olives, dressed with an olive oil, garlic and balsamic vinaigrette and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Two squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with tiger prawns and mussels, rocket, avocado, cucumber, salad burnet, cherry tomatoes, salad onions and Halkidiki olives with homemade aioli for dipping and topped with toasted pistachios.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a food dr bar.
Dinner: avocado with prawns, mayo, leafy salad and two baby tomatoes.

IMG_9399.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 26 August - bed 5.7 FBG 6.4. I'm wondering if these latest pills the Doc gave me interact with something else to lower BGs? I've been around 4.6 during the day today, but they're staying very stable.

B. TAG and LC granola with sugar-free coconut milk and 3 sliced strawberries.

L. A cheese triangle.

D. Cooked a chicken with a little stuffing I mixed with pork, onion, chopped sage. Chicken breast with lettuce, tomato, little avocado, mayo, and vegetable salad. CC Little chocolate pot with 3 blackberries.

That sea bass was super crispy @DJC3. Works ever time that method. @Annb, how did Em react to her birthday cake?
20230826_184730.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MrB slashes the rind when he takes it off. It helps it fluff even more and makes it easier to cut into bite sized pieces. :) Less chance of lacerations wrangling mega chunks.

Airfried pork chops with crackling are a masterstroke.

Ooh yes I can imagine. Next time….

Reactions: AndBreathe

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- a bit of cheddar and 4 Brazil nuts
L- M&S Honduras prawns and 1/2 avocado. Montezuma’s Absolute black chocolate.
D- chicken breast coated in egg/almond flour/egg/ pork panko then airfried. It was super crispy and delicious. Served with steamed broccoli and sautéed veg ( red pepper, mushrooms and chard) 2 glasses red.
IMG_3259.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb, how did Em react to her birthday cake?
She hasn't seen it yet. She'll see it on Monday afternoon when she comes in from school. In the end I chickened out with the Roman Candle effect and bought 2 number candles for the cake but made a chunk of brownie in a metal container to put the 2 roman candles in. Her dad will light them in a safe place for her.