What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
A while back there was talk on here about how the seeds stick together in the M&S seedy crackers. I may have the answer!
I found a recipe I’d cut out of the paper a year or two back and tried it at the weekend it’s really good. I’ll put it in my CMT in a bit but basically, soaking the linseeds causes their seed husk to absorb the water and form a gelatinous coat. This gloopy matrix will encompass any other seeds you mix in and as it dries and cooks in the oven they all just stick together.
The soy sauce in this recipe gives a lovely savoury taste but I think I’d sub sesame seeds for some of the sunflower and pumpkin seeds next time just to lower the carbs a bit - it would be so easy to eat it all. View attachment 55745
I note that Olina's Bakehouse uses Psyllium Husk in their crackers and flatbreads. Perhaps that is the glue that holds theirs together?

• Useful
Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I note that Olina's Bakehouse uses Psyllium Husk in their crackers and flatbreads. Perhaps that is the glue that holds theirs together?
Although, having said that, I also note that the 'Ancient Grains' version of the flatbreads contain 'Thickener (Hydroxyl Propyl Distarch Phosphate). Ugh!!

• Agree
Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The visit was a success and I only had a tiny bit of the frangipane tart to check that it was edible. Lots left over, of course, swo I'll get Alistair to take that all away when he comes for Em this afternoon. I had 1 piece of cheese and one piece of a very ripe melon that Neil had bought in the supermarket yesterday. Don't think I will need anything else today.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Decaf tea. Black coffee with cream
2 Eggs, Bacon, sausage, Mushroom and tomato
Lamb and cucumber and green pepper

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t think there’s psyllium just in the M&S crackers. It’s not in the ingredients anyway. I’ve found that just soaking the linseeds for a few hours provides a gloopy mass which envelopes and sticks together the other added seeds. No need for any other glue.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The visit was a success and I only had a tiny bit of the frangipane tart to check that it was edible. Lots left over, of course, swo I'll get Alistair to take that all away when he comes for Em this afternoon. I had 1 piece of cheese and one piece of a very ripe melon that Neil had bought in the supermarket yesterday. Don't think I will need anything else today.

Well done on your restraint with the frangipane, I don’t think I’d have had so much self control. I’m really impressed with you making it for your guests.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and filly

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I must have been dreaming about cricket as I woke up craving an egg and tomato sandwich. My dad always referred to the MCC tie as the Egg and Tomato ( it’s yellow and red). Breakfast therefor was egg and tomato in a SLC roll!
L- h/mackerel pare with 4 M&S seedy crackers. Still hungry so 2 h/b eggs to follow.
D- DD tuna casserole with broccoli and a glass of dry white wine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: chicken supreme with brussels and carrots followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

14F18918-B003-4F93-A891-6DF3D7165D32.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11:00 a "nine" seed bar (found once in Morrisons, very low carb and ok), large handful nuts
1:00 pm half an avocado and a bit of blue cheese. 1 choc avocado Ice cream
18:00 buffalo cauliflower cooked in air fryer. Lots of recipes on line . Was OK but not as nice as the photos. 1 glass white wine with a lot of soda

Frustrating and busy day, and a couple more ahead yet. Dread to think what' the stress is doing to my bg, and I'd told myself I was going to put a libre on Tomorrow ready for a holiday we are supposed to be having. Both the libre and the holiday may have to be delayed. Grrr!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and a two egg and cheese omelette, slice of fried bread, two slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Homemade cottage pie, mashed jap pumpkin on my portion, mixed veggies, splash of gravy for lunch.
Cold tinned corned meat and salad sandwiches for supper at six.

Couple of crispbread with blue cheese watching Prime video.

Glass of single malt before I went to bed.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Today's the day to experiment with those pork and cheese sausages but that won't be just yet. Today is also my cleaner lady day so it's a matter of clearing the decks so that she can get a clear run at the floors while I stay out of the way. So, once that is done, I'll have some more bacon and egg for my breakfast.

So far only one cup of tea at 3.45 am but fell asleep straight away sitting in the big chair, just a few minutes into "Animal Cops" (must have been about 4.15) and only woke at 6.30. One more cup of tea and I'll make a start.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Americano with cream
Ham, Tomatoes.
Smoked salmon.
Cheese Tomatoes

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't do any experimenting with sausages today. By the time my cleaner left, it was time for not far off time for Em to come from school. So had some of the beef stew from last week. Same at breakfast time - dozed off at the wrong time and then it was possibly time for cleaner to arrive (she didn't until much later) so no breakfast after all. So tired today. Can't do anything but sit and doze.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same at breakfast time - dozed off at the wrong time and then it was possibly time for cleaner to arrive (she didn't until much later) so no breakfast after all.
Next time, just have your breakfast if you don't know exactly at what time the cleaner will come.
Nothing bad will happen if you're having breakfast when she arrives, just offer her a cup of coffee and do the cleaning afterwards.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today was eggs, avocado and chilli sauerkraut.

Lunch - a plateful of bits and pieces from the fridge, cold meats, olives, small tomato, cheese. H/m yoghurt to follow.

Afternoon snack while out walking - a few blackberries. Dennis ate the low ones, I ate the high ones.

Dinner- DD casserole thing with mince and cabbage and tex Mex spices. Glass of red.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a food dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Phd bar.
Dinner: crispy cheese omelette filled with mushrooms, a couple of baby tomatoes and mozzarella followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

3E2B7CA2-7D70-44BF-A528-8019D6A82257.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Breakfast" was eaten mid morning and was a happy mix of leftovers: pork stuffed cabbage roll from 2 days ago, and a sort of bread made from the leftovers of last nights coated cauliflower, ie ground almonds, parmesan, spices mixed with egg and microwaved

Mid afternoon, a few homegrown grapes, sweetest ever , but trying to give away most.

D: invented and un-named, a mix of bacon and cabbage, runner beans, courgette and peppers with cream cheese, cheddar, cream and a splash of water , served over cauliflower
(In other words emptying out the fridge) was really tasty
2 glasses white wine and soda
2 squares 90% chocolate, which was a shock as I've been on 70% lately.

Weekend break is on after all. Libre on but not yet initiated

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon snack while out walking - a few blackberries. Dennis ate the low ones, I ate the high ones.
Sounds like the perfect walk!
Say hello to Dennis from me. :)
D: invented and un-named, a mix of bacon and cabbage, runner beans, courgette and peppers with cream cheese, cheddar, cream and a splash of water , served over cauliflower
(In other words emptying out the fridge) was really tasty
Sounds like my cooking style! :hungry:

Yesterday and today was a very tasty soup for dinner.
No idea what was in it exactly, the base was a remarkably tasty vegetarian pasta sauce from my freezer. I obtained the sauce some two weeks ago after sailing with guests. It was leftover and they couldn't really take I back to Germany so I took it home and parked it in the freezer.

After thawing I added water, half a stock cube, some red curry paste (also leftover from the same guests), the last bit of a chorizo sausage, sliced and fried (also from the group), splash of cream and grated cheese.
Dogs loved it as much as I did, cats were too late.

Must have been very low in carbs too, needed only very little insulin for it. :)

Attachments

• 306998658_10226116217086272_1605225838967737491_n.jpg
    306998658_10226116217086272_1605225838967737491_n.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 307308455_10226116217686287_4463683284048084253_n.jpg
    307308455_10226116217686287_4463683284048084253_n.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 67

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Food today, hmm way too many biscuits, probably not enough fluids and a reasonable dinner. Chicken casserole marengo style. With cauliflower rice.

It would be so much easier if MrSlim didn't have to have carbs all the time.

Last edited: