What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: home made pork sausage. It was a bit dry (should have put even more fat into the mix) so I added a small amount of ketchup (Heinz, but it was only a small amount).

Not even going to try for a 3rd meal today - I just don't have enough time in the day to eat and digest 3 meals.

Second meal will be another tub of chicken chasseur - forgot to put it in the freezer, so I'll need to use it.

I'd made chocolate brownies for my visitor so joined her in having one - I'd cut them into pretty small squares and limited myself to the one, although they were really good. The rest have already been packed into a box for Alistair to pick up when he comes with the mail. They have to be taken out of the house, or I might be tempted.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- scrambled eggs with spinach and a bit of cheese stirred through.

L - out at a lovely country pub we used to go to over 40 years ago before we were married. It’s just as good now! I had slow roast belly pork which was the most tender melting pork ever. I asked for other veg instead of mash and got a huge plateful of mashed swede, red cabbage, roast carrots and buttery green cabbage. Possibly too many veg carbs but I ate it and it didn’t do BG any harm thankfully.

D- charcuterie, olives and a glass of 2 of champagne.
Cracking day!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF ginger cookie
Dinner: meatballs in tomato and chilli sauce with cauliflower and broccoli followed by SF blackcurrent jelly and cream.

13918ACA-4737-47C5-98EB-22B19790C904.jpeg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three hard boiled eggs, two slices toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Grilled reef fish fillets, mixed salad, couple of bits of fruit witha small sevre of mango sorbet for lunch.
A bit of cold fish for supper at six as was not feeling very hungry.

Small glass of single malt before bedtime.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 scrambled eggs
Went to visit a friend, who forgot about my way of eating and prepared a lunch of ham, cheese and salad ciabatta rolls
By the time we ate it was after 2 and I was very hungry. I tried taking the top off my roll but the mayo meant everything stuck and what was left was very small, so I ended up eating it all, and a good few too many tortilla chips as well. Did manage to evade the bakewell tart offered for pudding.
It's definitely harder to change or refuse food made for you by friend than asking for or swapping a restaurant dish.
D: cabbage carbonara made with yesterday's gammon. Tasty.
22:00 back after an evening meeting, hungry and cold, so ate cheese and ice cream!
Not a good day food wise

RosemaryJackson

Hi all. Didn't post this morning because I had no idea what I was having and forgot to get anything out of the freezer. So went shopping, ate out and went completely off the wagon. I know my levels will be high so it's mea culpe again. I'll try harder tomorrow. Promise. I hate being diabetic!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: the last of my home made sausage - cold and with a small amount of ketchup on it again for moistness.

Later I will have the piece of steak that Neil got for me on Monday when he did some shopping. Some fried onions will go nicely with it - no mushrooms left. Should have put them on today's list but I forgot.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 and @RosemaryJackson hugs to you both, we’ve all been in those situations. But tomorrow is another day. You can’t change today but don’t let it influence tomorrow.
My food today-
B/Brunch - bacon, eggs, spinach and tomatoes
Lots of black coffee throughout the day
D- cold stuff as our hoped for meal out at a pub didn’t happen. (No taxis ) sliced beef, local artisan cheese, cherry toms, olives and pecans. Wine.
IMG_1412.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg and roasted veggies (who needs a carby sauce when you can have a runny egg!) followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

CD1890FE-76D2-472D-B0B6-90ECE9953F30.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lost alerts to this thread during my family weekend and fiddling with the forum on my phone so have been MIA.
Haven't eaten many interesting things in between either. Sunday and monday was what I was sure was a tomato soup from the freezer but turned out to be leek soup with lots of tasty little meatballs. :) Tuesday was burger with fried onions on a spinach salad.
Yesterday was low carb bread, slice with liverwurst and mustard and a slice with a very quick pickled egg mayo thing (pickled egg, mayo, salt, pepper, lots of unhappy chives I forgot to water). Forgot to cook as too busy with my Sinterklaassurprise.

I took two thick pork belly strips from the freezer on monday, thinking to use them on tuesday with a nice veggies and peanut sauce dish but life got in the way. Only yesterday I found out I left them on top of the fridge instead of inside.
Sometimes you get lucky: it hasn't been over 7 degrees in my kitchen so it didn't make a difference, and the cat must be stupid! :happy:

Finally back to some real cooking today, spicy mixed veggies (onion, bell pepper, Chinese cabbage and spinach, with some black beans in chilli oil and hot sauce) with an oniony peanut sauce and marinated pork belly pieces. Very easy and effective marinade too, just rubbed them in black bean and garlic sauce.

Two pork belly strips is enough for 4 days, so I froze half again after marinating.

1669324021085.png

Also had 5 of these, because diabetes suddenly decided it wanted less insulin for no good reason.
I finally finished my last bag of very old hypo treats (with some help from nephews and nieces last weekend) so I was very happy to start the bag of exciting foreign sweets I bought in England almost two months ago.
Turned out they weren't joking, and I'm definitely not up to the chew challenge!

Pretty sure those sweets are still stuck to my teeth in a week, no matter how much I brush! :hilarious:
A shame really, they taste amazing.
The only other thing I've ever eaten which was as sticky as this are Chokotoffs, unbelievable!

1669324125787.png

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No menu today as I went way off ona detour off the food tracks.

I did have a couple of lowish carb pepper crackers with blue cheese on though.

Usual single malt glass of goodnes before I went to bed.
Sometimes you get lucky: it hasn't been over 7 degrees in my kitchen so it didn't make a difference, and the cat must be stupid! :happy:
I bet he / she has it stashed awy for the next time it see's you put something on the fridge top. :)

Edit: spell chechers are not wortha shirt.

Last edited:

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost alerts to this thread during my family weekend and fiddling with the forum on my phone so have been MIA.
Haven't eaten many interesting things in between either. Sunday and monday was what I was sure was a tomato soup from the freezer but turned out to be leek soup with lots of tasty little meatballs. :) Tuesday was burger with fried onions on a spinach salad.
Yesterday was low carb bread, slice with liverwurst and mustard and a slice with a very quick pickled egg mayo thing (pickled egg, mayo, salt, pepper, lots of unhappy chives I forgot to water). Forgot to cook as too busy with my Sinterklaassurprise.

I took two thick pork belly strips from the freezer on monday, thinking to use them on tuesday with a nice veggies and peanut sauce dish but life got in the way. Only yesterday I found out I left them on top of the fridge instead of inside.

Finally back to some real cooking today, spicy mixed veggies (onion, bell pepper, Chinese cabbage and spinach, with some black beans in chilli oil and hot sauce) with an oniony peanut sauce and marinated pork belly pieces. Very easy and effective marinade too, just rubbed them in black bean and garlic sauce.

Two pork belly strips is enough for 4 days, so I froze half again after marinating.

View attachment 57710

Also had 5 of these, because diabetes suddenly decided it wanted less insulin for no good reason.
I finally finished my last bag of very old hypo treats (with some help from nephews and nieces last weekend) so I was very happy to start the bag of exciting foreign sweets I bought in England almost two months ago.
Turned out they weren't joking, and I'm definitely not up to the chew challenge!

Pretty sure those sweets are still stuck to my teeth in a week, no matter how much I brush! :hilarious:
The only other thing I've ever eaten which was as sticky as this are Chokotoffs, unbelievable!

View attachment 57711
@Antje77 Take care with those sweets I broke a tooth on them many years ago. Ended up having to have tge tooth crowned. A very expensive tube of sweets (They were sold in tubes in those days)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

View attachment 57710

View attachment 57711
Should have gone for fruit pastilles as opposed to fruit gums. The gums are like sticky leather, albeit tasty leather but the pastilles, made by the same people, are softer and can be cleaned off the teeth. DIL keeps a tube of them in her emergency kit. I have jelly babies, which I like less than fruit pastilles - deliberately. I would need to be very low to have one of them. Not sure I could bear knowing there was a packet of fruit pastilles available.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 57710

View attachment 57711

Food looks great ( not the fruit gums) and I love your plate.
Is Sinterklaassurprise food or is it related to your long suffering cleaner crawling round your loft?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Food looks great ( not the fruit gums) and I love your plate.
Is Sinterklaassurprise food or is it related to your long suffering cleaner crawling round your loft?
Not food related so I took it to the parallel thread. :)
Should have gone for fruit pastilles as opposed to fruit gums. The gums are like sticky leather, albeit tasty leather but the pastilles, made by the same people, are softer and can be cleaned off the teeth. DIL keeps a tube of them in her emergency kit. I have jelly babies, which I like less than fruit pastilles - deliberately. I would need to be very low to have one of them. Not sure I could bear knowing there was a packet of fruit pastilles available.
Thankfully I have no problem seeing any kind of sweets as hypo treatment only, so I'm lucky to be able to treat my hypos with something I actually like. :)
My current pack will go to my young neighbour as soon as I've bought something less sticky though, he'll be happy with it.

Tamarillo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee.
Early: Scrambled eggs, sauerkraut. Pomegranate juice - a DIY attempt at fermenting some. It still tastes a bit too sweet, so just had a small glass. It was nice and fizzy.
Lunch: Salad w walnuts and blue cheese dressing.
Later: Roasted spicy chickpeas, few corn chips. Matcha tea.