What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kefir vitamins and black coffee first thing, then out to meet a friend late morning. The coffee was so nice we had another and sat a while longer. By the time I got home I was ravenous but had to take Dennis out.
Late Lunch started with a handful of almonds ( a Muslim friend says her family always break their Ramadan fasts by nibbling on nuts to ease themselves in before the big feasting begins, otherwise the temptation is to eat too quickly )
Lunch was then supposed to be air fried beef skinny ribs but they were taking too long so had an omelette while waiting!
Unsurprisingly I wasn’t hungry by dinner time so had a small salad ( rocket, celery, avocado, olives, pumpkin seeds and blue cheese) to keep Paul company while he ate a heartier meal.
IMG_1704829379.652720.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 9 January - bed 7.8 FBG 7.3. My BGs are finally showing signs of stabilising again. Boys still settling back into normal routine.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free.

L. I was swayed by cheese again! 3 M&S crackers and the last of the wensleydale.

D. DD again - cauliflower Alfredo. It wouldn't be me if I didn't change it slightly. I didn't have spinach, so I added peas, mushrooms, cauliflower rice. Very filling. I am currently on a gin and soda. I doubt the chocolate pot will figure tonight.
20240109_183034.jpg

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7 January - bed 7.9 FBG 7.3. I thought I was finally working my Chinese error out of my system, but BGs are still in Yo-yo mode throughout the day.

I'm just going to start working a Chinese meal out of my system. My bloods have been playing silly beggars, I have things going on, a few health issues (not diabetes related), freedom issues & some family. I only have one meal a day, evening dinner. After getting another 7.7 at 5pm, after only having water all day & since last night, I then decided s** it, so ordered some Chinese. I enjoyed it, but already regret it. :rolleyes:

Something good & I feel very lucky as I'm non medicated T2. I got a text from the surgery earlier, saying that they have updated the GlucoRx test strip script to Q strips, with a code to put in on the website to receive the new meter direct from GlucoRx. Maybe I'll hold off testing until that arrives. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also find I feel even colder when fasting (as I was today except for my daily morning small kefir with supplements)
Definitely!
If I'm cold it only takes eating something to get warm again, even if it's cold food.

Today was the last of the sauerkraut mash with 'rookworst' and pork belly. It was more than a portion but less than two, both mash and meat, so I reheated and plated all of it, and between myself and 3 dogs it all disappeared. :)

It looks like I'll have my neighbour's dog (cousin of my dogs) from mondays to thursdays for a long time, good thing he's already used to odd foods. Found him eating a giant raw carrot in my bed this afternoon, but it has now disappeared to the last morsel. :hilarious:

A beef and onion stew for tomorrow is happily blubbing away over the flame of my antique 'slow cooker' in the kitchen, I'll only need to make some cauliflower mash to go with it tomorrow. :)

1704833670473.png

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just going to start working a Chinese meal out of my system. My bloods have been playing silly beggars, I have things going on, a few health issues (not diabetes related), freedom issues & some family. I only have one meal a day, evening dinner. After getting another 7.7 at 5pm, after only having water all day & since last night, I then decided s** it, so ordered some Chinese. I enjoyed it, but already regret it. :rolleyes:

Something good & I feel very lucky as I'm non medicated T2. I got a text from the surgery earlier, saying that they have updated the GlucoRx test strip script to Q strips, with a code to put in on the website to receive the new meter direct from GlucoRx. Maybe I'll hold off testing until that arrives. ;)
Seems we have more in common than the same birthday

I am usually OK with certain Chinese meals, but this was a new Chinese, and obviously, there was something there in a normally "safe" dish. I'm going to remake the garlicky pak choi myself this week, with sesame prawns, so no unexpected nasties!

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems we have more in common than the same birthday

I am usually OK with certain Chinese meals, but this was a new Chinese, and obviously, there was something there in a normally "safe" dish. I'm going to remake the garlicky pak choi myself this week, with sesame prawns, so no unexpected nasties!
Yep, seems so! :woot:
Same here, I do try to stick to lower carb & never eat the prawn crackers! :arghh: Enjoy your homemade version.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cwc before double dancing.

Early lunch of 2 scrambled eggs with a bit of Comte cheese. 1 hm lc cherry muffin with a small bit coffee ice cream.

Completed years finance review with hubby. We both survived!
Lc hot chocolate but with added Baileys to celebrate.

D: chicken curry. He had rice I had 2 slices hilo bread.

Out at bookclub in the pub. Only drank mint tea
But had the munchies when home at 21:30. 2 dark chocolate biscuits and a lot of ff greek yoghurt. 2 sqs 90%.

I'm assuming the munchies came because I had bread (albeit low carb)with dinner. Its rare for me to need anything so late in the day.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - 100 grams salted almonds with almond milk coffee
Lunch - spinach&brocoli soup, beans fry, 2 egg white omelet, ridge gourd curry, defatted peanut & soy flour paratha.
Snack - 100g salted almonds with cow milk coffee
Dinner - spinach & brocoli soup, beans fry, dried cluster beans fry, tomato curry.
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 2.06.10 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 2.06.11 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 2.06.11 PM (1).jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Bit strange but I didn't feel like having bacon and egg - maybe because the gammon I had last night tasted like cardboard. I shredded some iceberg lettuce, put some wafer thin ham on top, put 2 Dairylea cheese slices on top of that and topped with a fried egg. The hot egg melted the cheese and I quite enjoyed it although there was maybe a bit too much of the lettuce.

2nd meal will be smoked haddock on its own or perhaps with some Brussels sprouts.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - 100grams salted almonds with almond milk coffee
Lunch - cauli rice porridge, red leaves fry, cluster beans fry. 30g almonds. Almond milk coffee
Snack - 60grams salted almonds with almond milk coffee
Dinner - cauli rice porridge, silken tofu with veggies, red leaves fry, egg whites
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 7.48.45 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 7.48.48 PM.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Antje77, post: 2670796,
It looks like I'll have my neighbour's dog (cousin of my dogs) from mondays to thursdays for a long time, good thing he's already used to odd foods. Found him eating a giant raw carrot in my bed this afternoon, but it has now disappeared to the last morsel. :hilarious:

[/QUOTE]

I’m still laughing at this from yesterday, thank you!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely!
If I'm cold it only takes eating something to get warm again, even if it's cold food.

Today was the last of the sauerkraut mash with 'rookworst' and pork belly. It was more than a portion but less than two, both mash and meat, so I reheated and plated all of it, and between myself and 3 dogs it all disappeared. :)

A beef and onion stew for tomorrow is happily blubbing away over the flame of my antique 'slow cooker' in the kitchen, I'll only need to make some cauliflower mash to go with it tomorrow. :)

View attachment 65426

My comment above was supposed to be about the dog with the giant carrot but I managed to chop too much of your post ( including your name) out. Whoops!

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small kefir and supplements then just black coffee to lunch
Lunch kimchi and scrambled eggs with some smoked trout stirred in at end and four low carb seeded crackers
Dinner - inspired by comments about Chinese food - used some low carb noodles and made a Chinese chicken with noodles then for pudding had a few berries and yoghurt. Just had decaffeinated coffee and a few squares of Montezuma s 100% chocolate.
Doing well with black coffee still and really getting used to it. Planning not to buy cream for a while.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, four tiger prawns and avocado, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Clams and king prawns in garlicky white wine sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, leeks, double cream, rosemary, butter and parmesan cheese.
Steamed asparagus smothered with butter.
Garlic chestnut mushrooms.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels, brown shrimps, lettuce, apple peel, celery, baby plum tomatoes and mustard cress with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with toasted almonds.
Water to swallow tablets.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 10 January - bed 7.2 FBG 7.8. Boys are here today for dinner. It was a great success despite it being a DD recipe (with some additions for them)

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast. One with coronation chicken, one with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing. Busy sorting out dinner.

D. DD chilli. There were some kidney beans in my version as everyone likes kidney beans in chilli. I was just careful not to eat too many. I had a SRSLY wrap with mine, as well as guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and grated cheese. Quite a tasty change.
CC little chocolate pot and 3 raspberries.

Youngest was off to swimming training a bit later. When he came out, his Dad asked what was going on with the girl a lane up? He explained that she was one of the ones who was mean to him. She'd been sneering at him, saying she was better than him, that's why she was in her lane and he was there. She reckoned she'd just beat him all the time. The coach overheard and removed her from the pool to speak to her about her attitude. His Dad said, "But she got back in?" He explained that she was put back in just as he was heading down to turn for his next length. Then what? I just overtook her and beat her. That's what Nana told me. The best way to deal with mean people is don't react, just beat them in the pool!
20240110_181306.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My slow cooked onion and beef stew turned out very well!
I was going to have it on cauliflower puree, but didn't feel like making it after coming back from the gym and a short cold dip, so I simply ladled it over a slice of low carb bread. :)

1704922444041.png

Preliminary work for our swim was quite impressive, just trying out something to see if I can show you, no idea if this will work: