What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just about to have breakfast before attempting to get to Stornoway for my leg appointment. It will be more of the Cullen skink with a poached egg in it.

2nd meal will be lamb tagine.

I should be having guests on Saturday, but it may not happen if travel doesn't get easier by then. Nevertheless, I have started to prepare for them - last evening I made some coffee and cardamom cupcakes. Shan't finish them off until Saturday morning, and only if I know they will be coming. Already prepped some vegetables to mix with macaroni cheese, so I might finish that and put it in the freezer. Hot soup would be a good thing to have on hand, but I don't have enough vegetables left to make it (unless I can do something with Brussels sprouts, potatoes and onions) and might not get any if we do make it to town. Might have to dig out the emergency tins of tomato soup.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie-90g almonds, winter melon juice, almond milk coffee
Lunch- egg whites,green fry, mushroom fry, broccoli soup, beans
Snack- 90 g almonds , green tea
Dinner - egg whites, broccoli soup, greenhouse fry , brinjal chutney
IMG-20240118-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20240118-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20240118-WA0007.jpg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Tea x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Chicken and tomatoes
Corned Beef
Smoked salmon and tomato

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning small kefir and supplements
Lunch hm soup then kimchi and comte cheese with three LC seeded crackers
Bought some pork saltimboca (pork loin wrapped in prosciutto) ready prepared to cook from M and S on a 3 for 2 deal and put straight in freezer. Defrosted one pack and cooked today really enjoyed and nice and easy!
Dinner pork saltimboca with sprouts and mushrooms in a hm sauce( cooked mushrooms in olive oil and bit of butter then added a few spoons of hm soup and dash of cream and lots of pepper.)
IMG_20240118_162526 (2024-01-18T16_49_15.000)_kindlephoto-240785916.jpg

Pudding of a few berries and yoghurt followed by black decaffeinated coffee and two squares of 90% chocolate.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @ravensmitten. We were vegetarian for some thirty years. Unfortunately, once diagnosed with type 2 and issued with a glucometer, I found it nigh on impossible to control my blood glucose levels solely on veggie meals, many of which relied heavily on beans, lentils and peas for protein. My solution was to introduce fish and other seafoods to my repertoire. We still enjoy some vegetarian meals in between.

Can understand that, it's probably doable, just a lot of knowing where you get the nutrients from to stay healthy I guess.

I'm adjusting to this, I like meat, and we do have it but usually better quality and lesser of it. I've found myself back on LC having far more of meat than I'm used to though, even only after a week or so!

I was on a pretty restricted oligoantigenic diet when I was a child and then moved to a (in hindsight probably quite unhelpful) vegetarian diet after that for a long time, but never really considered what a carb or protein was until around 10 years ago. Interesting @Annb. I see there's def a lot more options now than there were even 20-30 years ago. Funnily, I can remember getting vege pies and stuff from the little health food shop on the corner and it cost a fortune as opposed to the choice we have these days.

Saying that

@Antje77 - Me talking about being fed up with meat after a week, I do feel need to get some lamb and make some kofta on a bed of lettuce leaves

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt v cold all day so ended up snacking too much. I was looking forward to Cullen Skink for dinner after @Annb ‘s post yesterday but local Co op didn’t have smoked haddock.
Paul has broken his finger so is off work currently so we had breakfast of Bacon and eggs together while we watched the snow outside.
There were various eating occasions which included nuts and a DGF cookie amongst other things I can’t even remember now.
Dinner was pizza using Low Carb Food Co base. I wasn’t keen though, the best I’ve tried so far has been the Keto Chefs base. Topped the base with sour cream ( don’t like tomato sauce) salami, nduja & mozarella.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
Early lunch of 2 scrambled eggs with half a rare perfect avocado on top.

Ooh.. before I forget! this box of 12 large eggs have ALL been double yolkers!

Then a trip up to London as part of hubbys birthday. So walked to West End from Victoria, walked around a gallery, had a tea. Walked to supper.
D: half a grilled chicken with rocket and a French fries. Did eat the whole lot of fries, with mayo. 1 glass sparking, 1 plain wine.
1 mouthful huubys sausage start and 1 of his frangipan pudding.
Walk to theatre.
Mousetrap still going strong after 72 years.
1 interval wine
Walk back to Victoria , 25 minutes fast!

Not much sleep, active legs after all that walking and active head after my 3rd bereavement in 22 days.

Today
Forgot all about breakfast
Dance class
Tea with friends
60g nuts and 2 hard boiled eggs

Afternoon nap, brain just needs to shut down in all this stress. 4 sqs 70% chocolate (note to self watch the comfort carbs creeping in)

D: bowl stilton and broccoli soup. Ie, the stalk of a broccoli, quarter an Onion softened in butter, add water. Cook until soft. Blitz. Add milk and cream and stilton until it tastes right. Eat.
Hubby had omelette with the last of the double yolkers

A large brandy

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh what have I eaten? ooops

Leftover sausages, and bacon, and a bowl of salad. whipped up some cream and squashed some berries into it as a breakfast 'desert' :wacky:

Cheese squares, pickles, beetroot slices, tomato a bit later

Gastric issues are far better after taking the slow release metformin thank goodness.

Ate about 50g of pistachios as a snack which I'm currently testing if affect me - edit, they are fine (well that amount is anyway)

Funnily, the doctor who told me not to test the other day phoned me sounding worried (and a lot more cordial) after I dropped a urine sample for the spiky feeling bladder I've had the last few days to them this morning. Made me jump as didn't think I'd get a call and it would just be irritation, and my phone died just as I went to pick up. Got a call back and he then, get this... asked me to take a finger prick reading, bwhahahahahaha :D but also to save face he had to re-iterate that it's not really needed or useful (I resisted the urge here to point things out) unless its a fbg or when I am unwell. I had a 4.5 on the scale which he seemed happy with. When questioned he said the urine sample had quite a few ketones in it and had sent it off for further testing and would get back to me when had done. Hopefully nothing and I'm just a bit irritated going from high bgs and eating nonsense to a low carb way of eating and levels are 'normalising', as they didn't mention anything else about it.

Not sure what's on the menu tonight, I think might do some kind of mackerel stir fry, with fried cucumber, will have to go without the boiled green banana though.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Got a call back and he then, get this... asked me to take a finger prick reading, bwhahahahahaha :D but also to save face he had to re-iterate that it's not really needed or useful (I resisted the urge here to point things out) unless its a fbg or when I am unwell. I had a 4.5 on the scale which he seemed happy with. When questioned he said the urine sample had quite a few ketones in it and had sent it off for further testing and would get back to me when had done. Hopefully nothing and I'm just a bit irritated going from high bgs and eating nonsense to a low carb way of eating.
You've gone back to low carb eating so ketones are to be expected, that's why it's called a keto diet.
But your doctor was very right to call you about it, ketones in a diabetic can signal an emergency when paired with high BG and not on a low carb diet.
So while he did look a bit like an idiot for telling you not to test, he definitely gets points for making sure he's not missing a case of DKA!

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've gone back to low carb eating so ketones are to be expected, that's why it's called a keto diet.
But your doctor was very right to call you about it, ketones in a diabetic can signal an emergency when paired with high BG and not on a low carb diet.
So while he did look a bit like an idiot for telling you not to test, he definitely gets points for making sure he's not missing a case of DKA!

Yes, I understand this, I'm thankful. He also said I did the right thing by calling back yesterday.

This is why he asked me to take the finger prick to see if I was high as last week I was in the 11-16 range (and he knew that), good on him for that.

It was just funny how adamant he was and belittled me the other day over the testing, then asked me to do it today.

I'm wondering how the call tomorrow might go, 'eat more carbs' probably! :bag:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: Bahian coconut chicken curry and cauliflower rice.

2024-01-18 19.02.31.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom nut roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', (strictly no breadcrumbs) garlic, vegetable stock and rosemary.
Steamed Brussels sprouts with toasted slivered almonds smothered with butter.
Carrots, onions and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, lemon verbena and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts..
Water to swallow tablet.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I understand this, I'm thankful. He also said I did the right thing by calling back yesterday.

This is why he asked me to take the finger prick to see if I was high as last week I was in the 11-16 range (and he knew that), good on him for that.

It was just funny how adamant he was and belittled me the other day over the testing, then asked me to do it today.

I'm wondering how the call tomorrow might go, 'eat more carbs' probably! :bag:
Well, well. What a change in his frame of mind! I know how it feels @ravensmitten. My GP has complimented me on my BG control and lipid profile, but a certain nurse seldom mentioned either. Instead, she repeated the need to take a statin at every opportunity. With as much patience as I could muster, I politely reminded her I'd tried two brands and both caused unacceptable side effects. (It's all on my records).

Recently, the nurse disclosed that she'd tried two statin brands herself and both had "upset" her. I had to cough to stifle a giggle!

As @Antje77 points out, your doctor deserves brownie points for not overlooking a possible case of DKA. He may be lacking bedside manner, but he knows his onions.

Btw, was your urine sample clear or cloudy? Sounds as though you may have a urinary tract infection.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, well. What a change in his frame of mind! I know how it feels @ravensmitten. My GP has complimented me on my BG control and lipid profile, but a certain nurse seldom mentioned either. Instead, she repeated the need to take a statin at every opportunity. With as much patience as I could muster, I politely reminded her I'd tried two brands and both caused unacceptable side effects. (It's all on my records).

Recently, the nurse disclosed that she'd tried two statin brands herself and both had "upset" her. I had to cough to stifle a giggle!

As @Antje77 points out, your doctor deserves brownie points for not overlooking a possible case of DKA. He may be lacking bedside manner, but he knows his onions.

Btw, was your urine sample clear or cloudy? Sounds as though you may have a urinary tract infection.

More than possible he looked back on my notes today and thought... oh, this is what he was trying to tell me the other day! but yes, fair play.

Yes, sounds like we've all had conflicting advice and opinions from differing professionals, gets a bit overwhelming to know what's what.

Sample was pretty clear thanks, have been going a lot so might just be irritation, plus was suffering the metformin side effects in the lead up. The other doctor I spoke with yesterday said it wouldn't hurt to drop a sample in the next day just in case which led to today. Will see what they say tomorrow.

Had a lone garlic paratha which was in the freezer with my mackerel stir fry, which added about 12g's of carbs [edit might have misread that, thought it seemed a bit low.... eeeesh*], was going to avoid having stuff like that as I find it easy to eat and it doesn't fill, but maybe if combined. Think my day overall is pretty lowish for me, maybe 50g or less, haven't worked it all out [*maybe more now]. Going to test at half ten before bed as ate quite late, that will give me an idea if I can indulge now and again or it's strictly off limits (will update my post.) - raised by 2 points exactly, can’t hang around to find out if it rises a bit or goes down, probably put those off limits for now looking at the carbs, which I mistaken from the 12g of fats, should really wear my specs :D

Last edited:

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.

Had breakfast of 2 thin Einkorn sourdough slices (60g) sandwhiched between 2 back bacon rashers. BG didn't go as high today (8.2), it was soon back down again.

Dinner was chicken and vegetable pie. The 'shortcrust' pastry was ZERO carbs!

The pastry used chicken flour. It sounded disgusting when I first heard about it, but after researching the internet there were many vids and blogs on how to make it. It's basically cubing chicken breasts then cooking them in the air-fryer, when cooled blitz the chicken in a blender, spread the chicken out on a tray and put in the fan oven on 60C, turning the chicken over a few times to help dry the bits. Chicken was then blitzed again, and the procedure repeated. I was left with something resembling wholemeal flour. I got the 'powdered' chicken down much finer than in the pic.

1705614387016.jpeg

I believe you can actually buy chicken flour, but frankly I preferred to do it myself, at least I know what it's made of.

Here's the 'all purpose flour' recipe I picked up from the internet, 360g chicken flour, 60g bamboo flour, 48g gelatine powder, 80g egg white protein powder.

It took 1.5kg (approx) of chicken breasts to make 360g chicken flour, expensive I know, but.... when all things considered. Recipe said it would keep in an airtight jar for two years. I obviously couldn't confirm.

The shortcrust recipe I used was 60g of the 'all purpose flour' and 30g butter, mixed like shortcrust. Though it didn't act like shortcrust, it kept breaking up. The pastry was brushed with egg yolk before cooking.

It was tasty, but extremely filling, obvs because of the high protein count. Hope to have a go at making a quiche, pizza base, dumplings and other treats with the 'flour'.

1705615249554.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.

Had breakfast of 2 thin Einkorn sourdough slices (60g) sandwhiched between 2 back bacon rashers. BG didn't go as high today (8.2), it was soon back down again.

Dinner was chicken and vegetable pie. The 'shortcrust' pastry was ZERO carbs!

The pastry used chicken flour. It sounded disgusting when I first heard about it, but after researching the internet there were many vids and blogs on how to make it. It's basically cubing chicken breasts then cooking them in the air-fryer, when cooled blitz the chicken in a blender, spread the chicken out on a tray and put in the fan oven on 60C, turning the chicken over a few times to help dry the bits. Chicken was then blitzed again, and the procedure repeated. I was left with something resembling wholemeal flour. I got the 'powdered' chicken down much finer than in the pic.

View attachment 65659
I believe you can actually buy chicken flour, but frankly I preferred to do it myself, at least I know what it's made of.

Here's the 'all purpose flour' recipe I picked up from the internet, 360g chicken flour, 60g bamboo flour, 48g gelatine powder, 80g egg white protein powder.

It took 1.5kg (approx) of chicken breasts to make 360g chicken flour, expensive I know, but.... when all things considered. Recipe said it would keep in an airtight jar for two years. I obviously couldn't confirm.

The shortcrust recipe I used was 60g of the 'all purpose flour' and 30g butter, mixed like shortcrust. Though it didn't act like shortcrust, it kept breaking up. The pastry was brushed with egg yolk before cooking.

It was tasty, but extremely filling, obvs because of the high protein count. Hope to have a go at making a quiche, pizza base, dumplings and other treats with the 'flour'.

View attachment 65660

That looks great. I’d heard of chicken being ‘floured’ and used to make bread in a couple of carnivore groups, I’ve never tried it though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an annual BIG market in these parts for a week or so, starting today, so we went for a Quick Look around it. Lots of nice, fabulous and also tatty things as you might expect at such an event, but very similar to past years.

They have alll manner of fast food and drinks available, including belly pork with amazing cracking.

i mean, isn’t this what street food should look like?

Lots of animals for petting, including baby goats, Guinea pigs and a couple,of giant tortoises. Thinking of you there @Antje77 , although with your track record, you want to buy them, rather than pet them.

Attachments

• IMG_6262.jpeg
    IMG_6262.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 58

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I should never promise myself what I would eat later in the day - it so often doesn't work out. Yesterday, after coming back from my nurse appointment I was completely exhausted so, when it came to eating, I just had some more of the Cullen skink and couldn't be bothered to try to make the tagine I'd intended to prepare.

Breakfast: not just yet, but soon will be bacon and egg. On my third cup of very weak black tea at the moment.

Later I might eat, will have to cook for guests tomorrow and might even make something for myself. Must also make some soup - although it's raining, it's still very cold outside. I would make chicken soup, but some of my guests are vegetarian so it will have to be a vegetable soup of some kind. At least Neil managed to get some vegetables for me yesterday. Must get on with that before I run out of steam again.