What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Went to my grandsons yesterday. He has fractured a vertebra so I took his favourite food to cook, pasta and I ate it too. Funnily enough, my bg was down this morning maybe from having to go up and down stairs as he lives on the first floor. Taking some soup today and some sandwiches for his tea. The soup is hm so I can have it too. It's quite difficult when they live in one room and have a shared kitchen. And the kitchen isn't the cleanest I've come across either. Going there today to do a bit of cleaning later. Have a good day folks. :)

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - almond milk coffee. 90grams salted roasted almonds
Lunch - 130 g roasted almonds
Snack - almond milk coffee
Dinner - brinjal chutney, brocoli soup, mustard leaves fry, beans fry, 2 egg white omelet
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-19 at 7.19.14 PM.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually made my 2nd meal today (made it this morning while I was still on my feet). Turned out Neil bought some chicken thighs yesterday but their use by date was yesterday so it was chicken thigh kind of tagine (tasted good) - had to cook it in the oven though because I had a big soup pot and a big pot of macaroni and another pan to make cheese sauce to go with the macaroni. Hope somebody tomorrow likes macaroni cheese or macaroni in a tomato sauce (I cooked too much macaroni and not enough cheese sauce so made avery quick tomato sauce for the remainder, in case anyone can't have dairy). Well, they have a choice at least (as long as they choose macaroni). Just have to finish off the coffee/cardamom cakes and the oat/date traybake tonight and that will just leave some salad to throw together tomorrow.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early -before going out to pick up our Grand dog Cooper a miniature poodle who is staying for a couple of days - small kefir and supplements
Lunch hm soup then some cheese and four LC seeded crackers then brisk long forest walk - could have almost skated on the pools of water in the forest!
Dinner salmon and peas and two small glasses of dry white wine then berries and yoghurt and two squares of 90% chocolate.
Lots of walks planned for tomorrow, think it's predicted to be milder but I have loved the bright sunny weather despite the cold. ( not loved what my smart meter has been display ing though!)

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually made my 2nd meal today (made it this morning while I was still on my feet). Turned out Neil bought some chicken thighs yesterday but their use by date was yesterday so it was chicken thigh kind of tagine (tasted good) - had to cook it in the oven though because I had a big soup pot and a big pot of macaroni and another pan to make cheese sauce to go with the macaroni. Hope somebody tomorrow likes macaroni cheese or macaroni in a tomato sauce (I cooked too much macaroni and not enough cheese sauce so made avery quick tomato sauce for the remainder, in case anyone can't have dairy). Well, they have a choice at least (as long as they choose macaroni). Just have to finish off the coffee/cardamom cakes and the oat/date traybake tonight and that will just leave some salad to throw together tomorrow.
You certainly feed your guests well

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually slept all last night yay!

B: ff greek with seeds and blackberries
Cwc
Lunch at IKEA. Thinking I'd have meatballs without the chips or mash, but settled, for the same money, for gravad lax (smoked salmon) and mozzarella and tomato. Very tasty, and even better hubby had a main course, drinks each, total came to £12. Less than we'd have paid for 1 main at a local pub.
D: blue cheese coleslaw. A new invention, sliced raw white cabbage mixed with mayo, yoghurt and crumbles stilton. Added a few chopped olives to cut the richness. Very tasty indeed.
2 glasses white wine with soda and 4 sqs 70% chocolate

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
D: blue cheese coleslaw. A new invention, sliced raw white cabbage mixed with mayo, yoghurt and crumbles stilton. Added a few chopped olives to cut the richness. Very tasty indeed.
Next time, add in some finely grated celeriac as well, the flavour goes very well with the mayo and blue cheese. :hungry:
You certainly feed your guests well
Pity she lives so far away or I'd have invited myself a long time ago!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next time, add in some finely grated celeriac as well, the flavour goes very well with the mayo and blue cheese. :hungry:

Pity she lives so far away or I'd have invited myself a long time ago!
Da*n. I have a celeriac on the side. Knew I couldn't be bothered to cook.. but forgot totally it can be eaten raw. :banghead:
Think that sorts tomorrow thank you @Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: cranberry and Brie on a LC roll with coleslaw.

2024-01-19 19.03.12.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: cranberry and Brie on a LC roll with coleslaw.

View attachment 65697
I want brie now!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: slice of Einkorn sourdough with butter and ricotta cheese.

Lunch: chaffle and ricotta cheese

Dinner: air-fried chicken wings tossed in melted butter and hot sauce. Large glass of merlot.

Settling down tonight to read 'Glucose Revolution' by Jessie Inchauspe aka Glucose Goddess which arrived today. By glancing through the book so far, think it's mainly about the order on which we eat, think she's suggesting we eat salad or green veg first, then protein, then carbs such as fruit. The book does come recommended by Robert Lustig, Michael Mosely, Benjamin Bikman and Tim Spector (don't think they come more heavyweight that these guys). I'll be reading with an open mind.

1705693674732.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: slice of Einkorn sourdough with butter and ricotta cheese.

Lunch: chaffle and ricotta cheese

Dinner: air-fried chicken wings tossed in melted butter and hot sauce. Large glass of merlot.

Settling down tonight to read 'Glucose Revolution' by Jessie Inchauspe aka Glucose Goddess which arrived today. By glancing through the book so far, think it's mainly about the order on which we eat, think she's suggesting we eat salad or green veg first, then protein, then carbs such as fruit. The book does come recommended by Robert Lustig, Michael Mosely, Benjamin Bikman and Tim Spector (don't think they come more heavyweight that these guys). I'll be reading with an open mind.

View attachment 65696
Evening @JenniferM55. I'm surprised to see Prof. Lustig in that roll call of illustrious scientists, but haven't read the book, so must try to keep an open mind.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all,

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with black pepper plus Teifi.
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover walnut and mushroom nut roast.
Romano peppers, celery sticks and baby plum tomatoes with chicory boats for scooping and a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Prawns and brown shrimps.
Almonds, hazelnuts and brazils.
Water to drink.

Mid-afternoon: black filter coffee

D: Smoked salmon and Cashel Blue salad made with lettuce, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and Romano peppers, dressed with olive oil, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, topped with toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
Water to swallow tablets.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening @JenniferM55. I'm surprised to see Prof. Lustig in that roll call of illustrious scientists, but haven't read the book, so must try to keep an open mind.
He's always been against sugar being a paediatrician (I think), his words were "Jessie Inchauspe takes the new science of nutrition and makes it practical for everyone". It's strange how protective I've got about what I believe, but I'm willing to learn, at least I'll c*ck an ear ;). The author is a scientist, she's not a doctor. I've just started reading and already she's taking aim at the greedy food industry, so far so good.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday 18 January - bed 7.9 FBG 7.3. Aqua day. It's still bitterly cold, but the pool was a bit warmer today. I also discovered that my greaseproof that I use to line trays turns a nice shade of brown in 2 of the ovens. No fire yet, thankfully. As a precaution, I've ordered silicon liners for my oven trays.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast, one with coronation chicken, the other with Dairylea. Benecol dairy free.

L. M&S cheesy crackers with Wensleydale.

D. I needed to use up the last of the smash burger mix I made earlier this week. Dinner was 2 burgers with a cheese slice, guacamole, beetroot. CC little chocolate pot with raspberries.
Gin and soda.

Friday 19 January - half day Friday again. Bed 6.6 FBG 7.3. Busy day. I'm so glad of the climate control on my car these chilly days. Being able to go out to a warm, thawed car is wonderful.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with toasted cheese. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing. Decided to get my shopping done once the boys were home. Decided to do the DD prawn thingy again. A bit of experimentation with the sauce. I used the Argentinian Wild Red Shrimp, still with spring onion & sliced peppers. I added to it garlic, tamari soy, ginger, lime juice, sesame seeds, and some SRSLY sweet chilli. Served with stir-fried garlic Pak Choi, and exotic mushrooms. CC little chocolate pot with 2 strawberries.

2 gin & soda.

DFS called on the way back from shopping. The new suite is on its way to their distribution centre. Our furniture is being removed 30 January. The new stuff arrives on 31 January. We're kind of hoping removal is late in the day and delivery is early! I'm going to be busy for the next week and a bit.
20240119_184904.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I indulged and bought some expensive low carb wraps to go with my shawarma. :joyful:
I fried the meat with some onion and bell pepper, and had it with a spicy garlic sauce, raw endive by way of lettuce, and some raw onion.

Must remember to preheat the plate tomorrow. Between the cold plate, the cold endive, the cold kitchen (5°C) and the cold wrap (I prefer the chewy structure as it comes without heating it), the filling of my wrap was a bit too cold when I started eating. Still very tasty though!

I also bought a pot of pickled red onion to go with it because it was so pretty, had a taste, yuck!
What idiot puts sweetener in pickled onion? Will give it to my neighbour, maybe he likes it. I hate the taste of sweeteners, it tends to stick in my mouth for at least half an hour.

[Stupid image should be here, won't load. :( )

Welcome any time you want to brave the far north - being a sailor the Minch shouldn't daunt you.
I know, and I'd love to, and I've been looking at google maps for months ever since I've known I'm going to be visiting the UK again this autumn. 'Up North' as well, as the sassenachs call it. (Can I say this? I have absolutely no idea to what degree this is insulting, I'm just showing off the very little I know about the Scots.)
'Up North' (Liverpool and possibly the Lake District) turns out to be very far south from where you are for a holiday of 10-14 days. :(

Doing a search on google maps for 'the Minch is funny. You get a blue screen, took me ages to find out it wasn't my internet having trouble I just had to zoom out to see where I was.