What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with sprigs of thyme and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
A medley of baked broccoli, leeks, onions, garlic and sweet red peppers topped with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, hard boiled quail's eggs, avocado, lettuce, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with walnut halves.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 scrambled eggs with ham
Walk
Then it gets bitty as at a family wake
Some cold chicken
A few chips
Half a scone with clotted cream
1 tiny cup cake
The ham and beef from inside sandwiches (threw bread away)
More cold chicken.
Cheese crisps
(I did avoid a lot of the beige carbs on offer)

It all merged together over 6 hours along with 2 glasses white wine and soda then a brandy when back home
Oh, and some coffee ice cream.

Emotionally and physically scattered

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late breakfast was 2 slices of back bacon, a fried egg, and slice of sourdough bread well buttered.

Dinner was a steak and onion pie using the 'low carb all-purpose flour' recipe that has chicken flour, to make the pastry. As the pastry wasn't a success last time I made it, I thought I'd try adding an egg this time. It still wasn't a success, in fact I couldn't eat it. I'm so annoyed with myself for trying these low fat recipes, and wasting good food and money. There's not a recipe that comes to mind where I think it's been successful as a low carb version of the 'real thing'. Had sauteed mushrooms and broccoli with the pie filling.

Still, the failed shortcrust does make rather good dog biscuits, our Rusty loved the pastry!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a limited edition curry kit from Aldi. It tasted really nice, but was a bit too watery.
Well, at least you can be sure no carby thickeners were added. Thai cooks have a habit of using cornflour to thicken stock.

Could you thicken it yourself with coconut milk, perhaps? Would that work with the other ingredients?

Reactions: PenguinMum

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, at least you can be sure no carby thickeners were added. Thai cooks have a habit of using cornflour to thicken stock.

Could you thicken it yourself with coconut milk, perhaps? Would that work with the other ingredients?
The kit came with a pouch of coconut milk. I think that Thai curries are quite watery. It even said to add water, but I didn't.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 22 January - bed 7.8 FBG 7.9. Another week of non-stop school runs - operation clear out - and road works. I'm behind again, but after a quick scan of the 100 plus posts, I still have to read.....@DJC3 & @Antje77. I'm so glad the appointments went well, and it's all clear for another year. @MrsA2 - I'm so sorry you didn't have good news. Can they treat to prevent any further damage?

B. Just TAG. It's early Aqua day, the weather was awful, school runs, then the road works!

L. When I eventually got back, 2 slices of SRSLY toast, one with cheese & and onion, one with coronation chicken.

D. Leftover GF haggis, neeps, and cauliflower mash from yesterday. CC little chocolate pot with raspberries.

Tuesday 23 January - bed 7.9 FBG 7.7

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with cheese and onion. I've discovered that popping it in the air fryer for 4 mins is rather nice on these vile mornings.

L. 2 M&S cheese crackers with wensleydale

D. I'd been non-stop all day, rearranging everything. Dinner consisted of a smoked sausage & CC little chocolate pot. I did also have a gin & soda.

Wednesday 24 January - no idea why, but bed was 8.8 FBG back at 7.4.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with cheese and onion (air fried!) Benecol dairy free.

L. M&S cheese crackers with wensleydale.

D. Boys were here and wanted bolognese. Operation reorganisation was interrupted to make said bolognese. I had it with NLCK pasta.
Today, I had 2 gins & soda. In-between everything else, I was also helping eldest grandson with physics, maths & English homework. No easy with a grizzly grandson.
20240124_183434.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke at 4:30 with a cold wet foot - my hot water bottle had sprung a leak in the night. What a palaver to strip all the bedding and get the dehumidifier going full blast in the hope the mattress will be dry by tonight.
B- 2 rashers streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs.
More stress driving Paul to the fracture clinic ( to check his finger) Major road works and diversions meant we and sat nav got completely lost and confused. We arrived in good time though and I ate a packed lunch of a lc cheese&marmite roll and some nuts in the car while I waited for him.
D - snap @maglil55 with pasta bolognaise. My pasta was from Low Carb Food Co. It was better than I expected, like a very hearty wholemeal pasta. What’s the NLC one like? Glass of red.
@JenniferM55 have you tried using fat head dough as a pie crust? It’s no good if you want pastry on the bottom of the pie but I think it makes an excellent top crust. I make a batch of the dough and freeze individual portions for my pie top when needed.
IMG_1706550317.597825.jpg

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 sent you a hug for your leaking hot water bottle and crazy roadworks they do seem to be everywhere! winner though for your food. I'm enjoying pasta from the low carb company too. I had some from the keto chef last year and think they are both good but I only use a bit as find them filling. It's Bolognese for us tomorrow.
I had a poor sleep last night just one of those things but notice I'm always hungrier when tired, and grey mizzy January weather didn't help , so more to eat than usual today
Breakfast kefir then two boiled eggs and LC buttered roll
Lunch six lc seeded crackers and pieces of three different cheeses then had yoghurt with a couple of zingy pieces of Seville orange peel from my hm low sugar marmalade mixed in - very refreshing.
Dinner beef again with cauliflower cheese then lc Blondie warmed served with spoon of yoghurt. Just had decaffeinated coffee with a few squares of Montezuma 100%.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Cottage cheese and tomato less than usual
1 small Golden Kiwi fruit and cream
Cod cooked in butter with mushrooms.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
This is for today
Coffee and cream x 3
Beef and tomato
Gold Kiwi small x 2 which sent my carb count too high for the whole day.
Cod Butter and mushrooms.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sympathy @DJC3 for your leaking hot water bottle at 4.30 am and confusion when you ran into major road works. It sounds very stressful. There's temporary traffic lights and diversions everywhere here too. Lanes are cordoned off and the road's up, yet you seldom see anybody actually undertaking the work, which adds to the frustration when traffic in both directions slows to a standstill.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

Courgetti alla puttanesca
made with anchovies, Kalamata olives, capers, canned tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, butter, parsley and spiralised courgettes.
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Raspberries and Greek full fat yoghurt.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, lettuce, finely shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, baby plum tomatoes and mustard cress with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with toasted pistachios.
Water to swallow tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke to a fbg of 11.7!!! Knew I had a few carbs yesterday but not this much. Washed hands, pricked again 7.5 to took that one instead

Couple mouthfuls ham just to quell hunger before exercise class
Tea and a natter with friends
More ham and mayo and cold beef. Was contents of the sandwiches left after yesterday's do. Threw the bread away.
Couple sqs 85% chocolate

D: swede mash with a generous topping of chicken and bacon and savoy cabbage
Large white wine (hubby poured it and left no room for soda!)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a H&B protein bar.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice.

2024-01-29 19.10.42.jpeg