What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Two days running I've stuck to my guns and been really good and today I have had eggs and bacon for bf, will have a pork chop and veg for lunch and perhaps a cheese sandwich for tea. But ohhh, I do miss real gravy. Especially onion gravy. Even more especially, liver and bacon with onion gravy. I'm not as inventive as I used to be, I stick with the tried and tested, it's easier. Coming back to reality from nostalgia, have a great day all. :)

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Two days running I've stuck to my guns and been really good and today I have had eggs and bacon for bf, will have a pork chop and veg for lunch and perhaps a cheese sandwich for tea. But ohhh, I do miss real gravy. Especially onion gravy. Even more especially, liver and bacon with onion gravy. I'm not as inventive as I used to be, I stick with the tried and tested, it's easier. Coming back to reality from nostalgia, have a great day all. :)
Do you ever slow cook @RosemaryJackson it's not only a good way to get cooking done before going out but it's also a brilliant way to get gravy. For example today I'm slow cooking a beef casserole. I soaked some dried woodland mushrooms (Waitrose cooks ingredients not foraging - I don't know enough) overnight and then use this as a simple but tasty stock. Put mushrooms and resultant liquid stock into slow cooker with a few veggies, the meat and lots of onion powder, and herbs and spices to taste I use some paprika, garlic and celery salt. I often just use the gravy as it is from the slow cooker as it's so tasty but if you like your gravy thicker you can put some of the resulting stock into a small pan and reduce down. If making a strogannoff type meal - add a dash of cream to the gravy as it thickens it. You can keep remaining liquid from casserole in fridge for a few days and warm in a pan for gravy to go with other meals or freeze. Ideally too you'll have made more than one portion for leftover meals and in leftovers the gravy thickens too.
Great to see you sounding happier with your food.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you may be right. I remember @ianpspurs posting something along these lines a few years ago after noticing finger prick BG was higher after washing his hands with a particular brand of hand wash ( can’t remember which).

This happened at work with Mrs mitten, a nurse by trade, I'll paraphrase it as I understood it.

She was monitoring a patient that was getting reasonably high readings so she double checked, cleaned the patients fingers, tried again and fine - okay, not uncommon, the next observation she took it was sky high again, cleaned patients hand again, same again. Took it again to confirm, was okay. She wasn't sure what was going on for a second so asked the patient was there anything they were doing in between observations. "oh just using the loo" "nothing much", etc.. that's when she twigged, and asked what the patient was using when they washed their hands, "oh the same soap I use at home, I brought it with me."

Turns out their astronomical figures were because of the soap.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did it once too, with what must have been remnants of jam on my hand and it went to 48mmol/L and I nearly fell over thinking I'd be in hospital one christmas, second test confirmed it was my hands.

Didn't post yesterday, made my dinner, onion, mackerel, sprouts. getting ready to eat it, was umming and ahhing to put a few slices of beetroot with it to bulk it up a little because I've not been massively hungry recently (although I've enjoyed what I have been eating as soon as I do, but kind of lost enthusiasm for the desire for it at the moment.). Anyway, I went for it, as I took a bite, the beetroot had clearly gone bad, though there was 4 weeks left on the jar. problem was couldn't separate it from the rest as I laid everything else out on top of it. Ahh well in the food bin it went.

Really couldn't be bothered after all that as it was quite late and wasn't getting any shopping until today, I had an errant tin of soup which had far too much sugar and salt in it for it's own good, really realise it when you haven't had that sort of thing for a long time. Can almost still taste the salt/sugar despite brushing teeth 3 times since then.

Oh teeth, feeling a toothache coming on today as well, guess the dentist will be in order if it doesn't go away (even then probably better checked than not)

Still, I'm good spirits, don't take my post as a woe is me, minor things really.

I gotta make some kind of lowish carb mezze platter, and some kofte kebab... now that I do fancy.

Last edited:

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's food-

Breakfast- 2 heck sausages in the airfryer and a ketoroma seeded roll
Lunch- 4 rollitos an egg and a baby bel
Dinner- 2 slices of heylo toast, sausage gravy( fried pork mince with cream, cream cheese and chicken stock) followed by 2 squares of 85% chocolate.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! My mum did those with bananas and brandy sauce and I’ve made them more recently ( I know @ Maglil55 has too) with cheese. I did wonder if it might be nicer as a soufflé/ fluffy omelette but with the fruit cooked down to a sauce.
When I was still cooking desserts for Alistair and Tom, I did make banana omelettes once in a while. Just sliced banana with lemon juice and some sugar, inside a folded over omelette and a dusting of icing sugar on top. They went down well but haven't made them in years.

Lakeslover

All this talk of sweet omelettes reminded me of an old recipe of mine. I must try it again.

Attachments

• F03050C5-9F36-4BF0-8342-9568282B648E.jpeg
    F03050C5-9F36-4BF0-8342-9568282B648E.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 57

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2 more fish cakes for breakfast, left over from yesterday. Had to eat something before I went out and they were ready just to reheat in the microwave so I didn't have to move around too much.

2nd meal should be a moussaka recipe that I saw on Rick Stein programme a few days ago - slightly different to the usual moussaka, and I shall, of course, tweak it.

That's if I can stand up for long enough to do it. Still have the pain that developed yesterday. I have come to the conclusion that it is some kind of inflammation and am dealing with it, after a fashion, with painkillers, which just about take the edge off it for a short time and I can manage to walk around a bit, by sliding my feet, instead of lifting them to walk and by leaning very heavily on my zimmer. Shouldn't really be any kind of infection - I am just about to take the last pill of a course of antibiotics.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait, what?
How did I suddenly become the one to test this? I don't even do dessert like food ever!

On the other hand, I think there is a bag of frozen berries of some type in the darkest depths of my freezer, likely at least 3 years past its use by date, and I did buy cream for a hot chocolate experiment but won't need all of it for that. And there are those eggs I received as a thank you for giving a neighbour a ride...
Can’t give a ‘funny’ as I use the app which only has ‘like’, but this did make me laugh. Time to get those berries out of the depths.
As you must all be aware of by now, I'm a very docile type of person and I didn't want to keep you waiting. :angelic:

The bag of fruit turned out to be strawberries with a use by date of april 2019, not even 5 years ago so all fine.
I whipped the cream, cut the strawberries, mixed half of the straberries with the cream, and made a thin omelette of two very small eggs and a pinch of salt.

My advice is that you all do the same, it's heavenly!

edit: I don't think it's necessary to wait 5 years, I expect it works just as well with strawberries that aren't out of date. :hilarious:

1707408163659.png

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mousakka is lovely, so sorry to hear about the pain @Annb

I am totally curious now. I can't say I've ever put fruit and omelette together. The thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind and I've never heard of such a thing. I did initially look at the screen with a puzzled face, but seeing one after another person post about it, I'm intrigued. I won't really knock it until I've tried it though, and then I can probably only really knock my own version of it.

Edit: The real bizarre thing in that, is that I used to make crepes all the time and it's not much different really, sans maybe the milk and flour. I can manage a small amount of milk myself so I might see if I can alter my old recipe!

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Meant to say @Annb sorry about the latest leg pain and hope its short lived. Always admire how stoic you are about your aches and pains. Last summer I bought a new Thermos flask to replace the one that I had for over 30 years! I was pleasantly surprised that it kept liquid really hot for many hours BUT for tea on a picnic it didn’t taste good so I would just store boiled water with tea bags and milk separately. We get a lot of power cuts here if it's stormy so often need to prepare going to bed for that all important tea in the morning!!
Today brekkie was usual slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch was wedge of Shropshire Blue with 4 small Carr’s water biscuits (10g) tea.
Supper is joyous chunky cod fingers with spoon peas (I know, double jeopardy).
Also these hand washes are a problem, I wonder if Simple would be a safe bet.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The forced Yorkshire rhubarb is back so as well as putting my slow cooker on for beef casserole I put my second slow cooker on for my rhubarb. I slow cook it above some water and lots of lemon and ginger
IMG_20240208_112407.jpg

While cooking had a brunch of kefir and two boiled eggs with low carb roll.
Rhubarb only needs about an hour and a half. When soft I fish out the rhubarb and a bit of cooking liquid. I then put cooking liquid with ginger and lemons in a bowl to use over next few days. It's particularly good as a favouring for water or with a gin and soda water.
As it was lunch time after cooling the cooked rhubarb I put a few spoons in a bowl each, added a sprinkle of ground almonds ( to make it crumble like without the faff!) And then topped with Greek yoghurt
IMG_20240208_131257.jpg

Plenty left for next few days
Dinner was slow cooked beef with Savoy cabbage and small glass of red wine
IMG_20240208_163932.jpg

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Meant to say @Annb sorry about the latest leg pain and hope its short lived. Always admire how stoic you are about your aches and pains. Last summer I bought a new Thermos flask to replace the one that I had for over 30 years! I was pleasantly surprised that it kept liquid really hot for many hours BUT for tea on a picnic it didn’t taste good so I would just store boiled water with tea bags and milk separately. We get a lot of power cuts here if it's stormy so often need to prepare going to bed for that all important tea in the morning!!
Today brekkie was usual slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch was wedge of Shropshire Blue with 4 small Carr’s water biscuits (10g) tea.
Supper is joyous chunky cod fingers with spoon peas (I know, double jeopardy).
Also these hand washes are a problem, I wonder if Simple would be a safe bet.
I mainly use the Waitrose essential blue antibacterial one - a lot of the moisturizing ones could be suspect as they have things like cocoa butter and honey in. I had a wonderful one as a pressie with christmasy smells but it shot my numbers up so I don't use very often!

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looked better than it tasted :bag:

All in all, unless I add something in to transform the "eggyness" of it, not to my tastes at all, I prefer my omelettes plain/savory.

Though I did eat it.
I'm with you on eggy sweet things so not joining in with the sweet omelette trial they do look amazing though..

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you must all be aware of by now, I'm a very docile type of person and I didn't want to keep you waiting. :angelic:

The bag of fruit turned out to be strawberries with a use by date of april 2019, not even 5 years ago so all fine.
I whipped the cream, cut the strawberries, mixed half of the straberries with the cream, and made a thin omelette of two very small eggs and a pinch of salt.

My advice is that you all do the same, it's heavenly!

edit: I don't think it's necessary to wait 5 years, I expect it works just as well with strawberries that aren't out of date. :hilarious:

View attachment 66058
Frozen strawberries always go mushy so yours must have been jam! Very impressed by you not wasting food Im not convinced I'd be brave enough to eat something five years after use by date. Mind you you are particularly daring - with your impressive cold water swimming too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason you have reminded me of bananas sprinkled with brown sugar and a splash of brandy baked in the oven which was one of the few desserts I used to love, in my previous life. Maybe a last ever meal option with toffee ice cream lol. I’m not even fond of bananas and never liked pancakes.

I can almost smell it caramelising!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This happened at work with Mrs mitten, a nurse by trade, I'll paraphrase it as I understood it.

She was monitoring a patient that was getting reasonably high readings so she double checked, cleaned the patients fingers, tried again and fine - okay, not uncommon, the next observation she took it was sky high again, cleaned patients hand again, same again. Took it again to confirm, was okay. She wasn't sure what was going on for a second so asked the patient was there anything they were doing in between observations. "oh just using the loo" "nothing much", etc.. that's when she twigged, and asked what the patient was using when they washed their hands, "oh the same soap I use at home, I brought it with me."

Turns out their astronomical figures were because of the soap.

How interesting, and clever of Mrs M to make the connection.