What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So nice to see some sunshine today even though it didn't last.
Kefir with my usual supplements mid morning (my kefir grains had to be put into hibernation in the fridge earlier this week to slow up my supplies. Just popped the grains in some milk in jar in fridge and then woke them up again yesterday. They woke up straight away and produced kefir in normal 24 hours - they are very lively grains!)
Lunchtime scrambled a couple of eggs and served with LC toast. Followed this with 30g of mixed nuts and a few squares of 100% chocolate
Dinner salmon served with English asparagus and a few oven roasted hm new potato chips cooked from frozen plus had a glass of dry wine. Had one large organic Spanish strawberry sliced and served with hm bifido yoghurt.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 I think I will have to do likewise with my grains, it's a bit warmer in the house although oudoor temps are still very chilly - I keep forgetting spring holiday is very early this year.

Breakfast - a bit peckish so 3 sausages, 3 eggs, two fried tomatoes AND 3 slices of bacon!!

Greek yogurt and pumpkin seeds
small bowl pistachios

Dinner will be lamb steak with mushrooms and purple sprouting broccoli which is still producing loads - @IanBish I know you've had poor luck finding it in the shops (M&S have some I think but pricey) - might well be worth picking up a few small plants from the garden centre, they should be in in a few weeks and stick them in a couple of large tubs in the garden until next spring. That's what I did and from six plants I've had a pretty impressive crop, and given lots away to my neighbour. Apart from watering in the summer I've ignored them, even when they flopped over in the storms - they just grow right back up!

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Yogurt and raspberries x 2
Smoked salmon

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: LC pizza with coleslaw.

2024-03-29 19.16.13.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jpscloud and @Annb I went full carnivore for a month at the beginning of the year. It was great for BG control and I had no hunger at all. However I missed veg and found it had unpredictable and difficult to manage effects on my digestive system! ( ps well done on your fasting jpscloud)
@Shelley252 I’m envious of your English asparagus already.
I had granddaughters and their new 10 week old puppy to stay today so we had a lot of fun. (and a few little accidents)
B- bacon in lc roll
L- not very nutritious and I’m not particularly proud of this but it was a DGF raspberry bakewell and a couple of shards of the macadamia nut chocolates I made as an Easter treat to myself.
D- DD Swedish meatballs which are apparently very similar to the famous IKEA ones. I’ve never tried those but these are very good. Cabbage noodles to serve. Couple of glasses of zero sugar organic white wine.
IMG_1711741766.740653.jpg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jpscloud and @Annb I went full carnivore for a month at the beginning of the year. It was great for BG control and I had no hunger at all. However I missed veg and found it had unpredictable and difficult to manage effects on my digestive system! ( ps well done on your fasting jpscloud)
I had granddaughters and their new 10 week old puppy to stay today so we had a lot of fun. (and a few little accidents)
B- bacon in lc roll
L- not very nutritious and I’m not particularly proud of this but it was a DGF raspberry bakewell and a couple of shards of the macadamia nut chocolates I made as an Easter treat to myself.
D- DD Swedish meatballs which are apparently very similar to the famous IKEA ones. I’ve never tried those but these are very good. Cabbage noodles to serve. Couple of glasses of zero sugar organic white wine.
View attachment 66957
Wow those macadamia nut chocolates look so good! And I think you deserve them after wrangling puppies and kiddies!

Edit: I'm trying to get as close to carnivore as I can - the more I do, the less hunger and much steadier BG. I still find cravings popping up while having meals though, but the fast was amazing this time, no cravings during the fast at all! Hope that carries on in the next fast (hopefully next week).

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You are so right. And to keep it at 10 I would have had to take a huge amount of insulin. Yesterday I only took about 8 units of Humalog - that's 52 units less than I would have taken a year or so back.
It really is amazing what you've achieved once you started owning your diabetes!

Evening meal will be something Thai style with shrimp and mixed veggies. Neighbour thinks he's funny, I asked to keep the rice apart, he said it's noodles so don't worry and laughed his ass off. :hilarious:
He knows, and the noodles will be separate.

I also found out he's a man and can't multitask. He told me to stop touching him while cooking if I wanted to eat. :hilarious:

I winged the insulin dose, the sauce was pretty sweet, we'll see!

Attachments

• 20240329_203055.jpg
    20240329_203055.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 61

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast, and rather than opening a big tub of yoghurt, hubby suggested I have the plain corner from his strawberry ones.? Well that was a mistake, the nutrition label didn't specify what was from the yoghurt and what was in the strawberry corner. Well my libre says there was sugar in the plain corner. I tried a tiny bit of the strawberry and it was soooo sweet and processed tasting.
Never again

Mid morning a tea and a nut bar
A walk along the beach
A walk up down and around a castle
Shared at 2pm lunch of cheeses, ham etc. Hubby ate the bread and chutneys.
Late meal of brie and bacon, his on crusty bread. Mine with kimchi and coleslaw. 2 cooked figs (which didn't spike me on Monday... who knows now? Signs good so far)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all, @shelley262 I know what you mean about the weather and feeling hungry, not very Easter like here, more like stew and dumplings weather!
Oh, I don't know, @sue21 The weather's almost always indifferent here over the Easter weekend. We're lucky if we get one decent day out of four, weatherwise. This year, Good Friday was sunny with intermittent showers and a stiff south-westerly wind which felt colder than expected. We certainly worked up an appetite;

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with black pepper and a wedge of Gorwydd Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover walnut and mushroom nut roast.
Celery sticks and baby plum tomatoes with chicory boats for scooping and a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Prawns and brown shrimps.
Almonds, hazelnuts and brazils.
Water to drink.

Mid-afternoon: black filter coffee

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad made with lettuce, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions, Halkidiki olives and Romano peppers, dressed with olive oil, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, topped with pecan halves.
Water to wash down tablets.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 27 March - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6. Now the eldest has developed a bug. Still at ours, but the younger one is back at school. I told Hubby soup is called for with all this illness.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. Hubby made lentil soup, which was very good. Lentil soup and a ham and mustard sandwich. Gin and soda.

Thursday 28 March - bed 7.6 FBG 7.8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY with ham and mustard. Benecol dairy free.

L. A bit of crustless quiche

D. A mug of lentil soup. I feel the bug coming on now. Gin and soda. Scoop of Halo Top and raspberries.

@shelley262 I agree about the weather. Rain is constant. One day, we might get dry weather.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening meal will be something Thai style with shrimp and mixed veggies. Neighbour thinks he's funny, I asked to keep the rice apart, he said it's noodles so don't worry and laughed his ass off. :hilarious:
He knows, and the noodles will be separate.

I also found out he's a man and can't multitask. He told me to stop touching him while cooking if I wanted to eat. :hilarious:

I winged the insulin dose, the sauce was pretty sweet, we'll see!
The meal was pretty nice, all the more because I didnt have to cook. But the winging it didn't really work. It resulted in a nasty sweaty hypo.
On the up side, I ate 3 of his chocolate easter eggs, yum, and I've just had a shower to get rid of the hypo sweat. Which isn't bad at all when sharing a bed, I'm off to my neighbour again! :joyful:

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B- bacon in lc roll
View attachment 66957
Looks like a very good Easter treat.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast, sardines on lc toast with a scrambled egg and bit of feta. When OH buys such a huge tub of feta it ends up in some strange places.
Lunch, planned over cauliflower taco meat on lc soft taco shell, arugula, sour cream, hm pico de gallo
Dinner will be tequila lime chicken grilled, spinach and more arugula but with balsamic vinegar. Possibly even more feta from the huge tub. Good thing it’s lovely feta.

I hope you all have a lovely Easter weekend however you celebrate it…traditionally or families, puppies, walks, changeable weather, and neighbours beds!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wednesday 27 March - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6. Now the eldest has developed a bug. Still at ours, but the younger one is back at school. I told Hubby soup is called for with all this illness.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. Hubby made lentil soup, which was very good. Lentil soup and a ham and mustard sandwich. Gin and soda.

Thursday 28 March - bed 7.6 FBG 7.8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY with ham and mustard. Benecol dairy free.

L. A bit of crustless quiche

D. A mug of lentil soup. I feel the bug coming on now. Gin and soda. Scoop of Halo Top and raspberries.

@shelley262 I agree about the weather. Rain is constant. One day, we might get dry weather.
Hope the bug comes to nothing.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, hope all enjoying a long weekend, woke up thinking it was Sunday,that’s cos hubby went to football yesterday, doesn’t take much to confuse me!
B Yog,blueberries,seeds
L Pea and ham soup,cheese salad
D Salmon fillet, broccoli,asparagus,cauli rice, ketochef hot cross bun( bit dry, had lots of butter on it)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope the bug comes to nothing.
It didn't, but at least I got to rest up yesterday. Son & DIL still hadn't fully recovered from it, so they rearranged their meal out again. It's a weird one. It comes and goes. One minute, you feel ok; the next, you just feel odd. Horrible burning throat, headache (coming from the sinuses), and sore chest. It will pass, and I need to go out today no matter what.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 29 March - bed 8.9 FBG 8. The bug is now showing up in the BGs. I was so glad to be able to stay home. Hubby isn't much better.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY bread with ham and cheesy filler. Benecol dairy free.

L. A bit of crustless quiche.

D. Salt and pepper squid, santini tomatoes, alioli. Scoop of Halo Top and raspberries.

I felt not too bad for a lot of the time, then it swept over me again - sweats, horrible burning throat, and very uncomfortable legs. I'll need to get out tomorrow - hopefully, in a not too bad lull?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Grilled bacon with eggs poached in chiciken stock (from the chicken I poached a day or so ago).

2nd meal will be cold, roast pork and ham chopped and put into a frittata. That means eggs twice today, but that'll be fine.

RosemaryJackson

Ive had 2 chipolatas and 2 fried eggs for bf. I havent been well. Had 1 day of being violently sick and now have a cold, I'm either shivering or hot and sweaty. I'm keeping away from everyone just in case. Although I've had bf, I don't think I'll be having anything else today. Not in the mood for food.But I'm drinking plenty to keep hydrated. Hope you all have a Happy Easter. :happy: