What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your salad looks perfect for a sunny spring day @IanBish
I had breakfast today - scrambled eggs on l/c toast.
L- DGF raspberry bakewell and cup of tea with lactofree milk
After mowing the lawn had a low carb lager.
D- https://twosleevers.com/chicken-curry-soup/ It was an odd choice to have soup on the hottest day of the year so far but this is so simple and delicious - a Chuck it all in together recipe. Chocolate chia pudding afterwards
IMG_1714845594.012759.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: LC roll with chicken, coronation mayo and coleslaw.

2024-05-04 18.37.55.jpeg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I much prefer red salmon
Yes, tinned pink salmon can be rather dry. I like to use it in low carb fish cakes, as it is markedly cheaper than the tins of red. Currently the best price I can find for the 213g tins of pink salmon is £1.38 at Sainsburys (price matched to Aldi). Made into fish cakes, one such tin would be plenty for 2 people. These days, it's not often I can find the protein-containing part of a meal for well under £1.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheshire cheese with Flora Proactiv margarine, 10 small green olives, pills.
Coffee with double cream, creatine, MCT oil, Lion's Mane powder.
Turkey leg chunks fried in best olive oil, Vadasz kimchi, Flora, cos lettuce, Hunter G. avocado mayo, French's mustard, pills.
Mild Cheddar cheese, Flora, Iceland cooked chicken thigh, pills.
Almonds, Brazils, macadamia nuts, Montezuma Absolute Black chocolate drops, Castello brie.
Would have made tea, with double cream, but ran out of energy. Feeling tired and hungry due probably to short night's sleep.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoga, then a big shop

L: "bottom of the fridge soup" today made from an onion, 1 fat carrot amd 4 broccoli stems. Crumbled Wensleydale in at the end. Much tastier than it sounds

Mid afternoon 2 squares hm lc brownie with walnuts in

D: fish in spinach and cheese sauce with green beans and half a carrot. Cheese. 2 glasses white wine and soda

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I just ask why the margarine? It's made from seed and vegetable oils and is highly processed. Most of us use butter, plain and simple
Like most things in health and life, it's a compromise. I struggle with too high LDL cholesteril and triglycerides. Flora Proactive promises to lower LDL somewhat. When I tried it, I found that I really like the taste and texture, whereas I don't much like butter. I also struggle with the whole seed oil / saturated fat controversy. I don't know, but I think the fear of seed oils is rather over-done. I am glad Dr Eric Westman would agree with me (or, I should say, I agree with him.)

I use extra virgin olive oil for cooking. I eat quite a lot of wild caught oily fish. I consume Hunter Gather mayo made with avocado oil. I don't think 30g margarine daily is really going to make a life or death difference, particularly as I am 81 and in poor health, so I am very likely to die of something else before the seed oils get me. Also, I am unhealthily under-weight so any way to add very low carb calories while increasing palatability is welcome.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and sage, baked with sweet red peppers and aubergines, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and Kalamata olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, tinned pink salmon can be rather dry. I like to use it in low carb fish cakes, as it is markedly cheaper than the tins of red. Currently the best price I can find for the 213g tins of pink salmon is £1.38 at Sainsburys (price matched to Aldi). Made into fish cakes, one such tin would be plenty for 2 people. These days, it's not often I can find the protein-containing part of a meal for well under £1.

Have you tried making fish cakes with tinned sardines? Very cheap - Just mash with 1/2 cup grated cheese and an egg and fry. I’m not keen on tinned sardines normally but I love these.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Potato - what's that? Not something I hanker after. Ripe peaches, aaah! better not to think about them.
I can count on one hand the the number of times I've had potato in the past year. But I did notice that Jersey Royals are in season now. In a few weeks, when they get bigger (they're really small at the moment) I may be tempted to get a few. I do love a Jersey Royal.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All MIA again so bit of catching up.
Friday:
Brekkie was slice of ordinary toast at friend’s as stayed o/n. Tea.
Lunch was packet of Serrano ham & Manchego rollitos from M&S with tea which sustained me well for a long drive home.
Supper was Young’s Jumbo scampi (ratio of crumb to fish better imo) and side salad. Lovely treat. Didn’t test after as won’t be a regular thing but had v good FBG next day. Preceded by two Rangpur Lime gin & sodas, slice lime.
Saturday:
Brekkie slice LC toast, copious tea.
Lunch: Red Storm chunk, Durris chunk (Irish farmhouse semi soft cheese from farm shop) 4 small water biscuits. Tea.
Supper was two whole chicken legs roasted to crispy skin and three roasted asparagus spears from farm down the road.
Sunday (today)
Brekkie usual slice LC toast, copious tea.
Lunch and supper will be interchangeable depending how I feel. So either Prawn cocktail & avocado salad or three meaty sausages with two scrambled eggs.
Mr P is away until tomo so I can eat what and when I like easily.
@DJC3 Red Storm is a redwaxed very mature Red Leicester made by Snowdonian Cheese Coy. Waitrose stock it and a small bit packs a punch.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Neighbour and I had planned a simple barbecue, the weather was perfect all day, right until 6 PM when it started raining.
Weather cleared again a couple of hours later but it took a long time to get the barbecue going with wet wood, so in the end we grilled and ate in the dark. :hilarious:

First lots of chicken wings, followed by spicy marinated spareribs, no insulin, which made my BG rise from somewhere in the 5's to 8.2, all fine because of the expected drop from sharing a bed. We went to sleep at around 3 AM, and as predicted my low alarm woke me up at around 8:30 so I had half a chocolate biscuit and crisps which raised me for a while before dropping to 4.7 when I woke up at 10:30, despite having been titrating my basal down from 84 to 70 units this week.
I'll make this work without having to go to bed relatively high, and without needing to eat halfway through the night, but it'll take some time before I nail it! :joyful:

Today will be interesting, there is a party at a restaurant owned by traditional fishermen because the place has its 12.5 year anniversary. The owners are friends, and I've worked for them for a while some years back, so I'll see what will be eaten today. May be low carb, maybe not.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspired by @Antje77, I did chicken shawarma for Sunday lunch. I marinated it overnight and cooked it in the air fryer. I've no idea what it's supposed to taste like, but it was very tasty. I served it with chestnut mushrooms and green beans.

PXL_20240505_115726607.PORTRAIT.jpg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Cheese slices and tomato
Greek yogurt and organic cocoa
Cheese slices and tomato
Smoked salmon (without sugar)