Not open for further replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will tell you tomorrow as I'm 50 today :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Happy Birthday!!!

I'll be there in 2.5 years. I hope it's better than my 40th (actual, real, genuine influenza, and living on the sofa for 3 days because it was easier than dragging myself upstairs).

I must admit that my life improves with age. As if I'm developing a fine patina :happy:

Hope yours does too!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday Andrew! X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast loads of mushrooms and one egg omelette
lunch tuna and cottage cheese salad; half a nectarine as quite large- BS 5.7 @2hrs same as pre-meal so that seems ok.
dinner ragu sauce, salad
snack 1 brazil nut- may have some strawbs and yogurt later

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast: missed it

Lunch: Greek yogurt and blueberries

Snack: too many peanuts

Dinner: quorn peppered steak with asparagus topped with grated applewood smoked cheese

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie sausage and scram egg
Snack 2 squares 70% choc
Lunch brie and scratchings
Dinner pork steak and Caribbean innocent veg pot

43g carbs in the veg pot! I'm guessing I actually ate about 30-35g after I had pulled all the carrot chunks out.

This carb counting lark is very pedantic and time consuming, but it is teaching me a lot.
Apparently I can feel ok on up to 40-50g carbs a day, so long as they are evenly spread, with less at breakfast. More than that i feel 'wrong'.

More than 20g odd at a time and I start obsessing about mash, pastries and cake.

So I am craving carbs something rotten, an hour after eating. Could be psychosomatic. Definitely irritating.
BG was 5.1 pre, and now 6.6 at 1 hr. So it isn't the BG that has done this.
Ridiculous!
So I'm going to treat the cravings the only way I know that works - with fat.
Either berries and cream or a low carb hot choc.
Or both.
:wacky:

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kind of strange choices today !
Breakfast- didn't fancy egg so bacon and hotdog sausages.....(0.7g carbs per sausage)!
Lunch - Apple and cheese
Dinner- while at work, corned beef,cucumber and hotdog sausage!
When home at 8pm scratchings and jelly with cream
At work four hours after lunch I was 5.8 and an hour later before I ate "dinner" I was 4.9!!

Reactions: 5 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Husbo is hungry and has gone for CHIPS!!!!!!!!! Can I resist. I will report back in an hour :-(

If you did you are a better person than me. I would have to have had some , not loads though.

Oh what I would give for chip shop chips and warburton white bread with tomato ketchup. ..

Reactions: 2 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also think anything with dumpling in its title is worthy of a cautious approach, but we each react differently.

I haven't had Chinese for well over a year. It was never a regular; we prefer Indonesian, Indian, Hispanic or creole for our spicy food.

Actually I have had the odd stir-fry, so the last para might be a bit bold, but nothing take-away or commercial sauces.
Yes, a friend wanted to eat Peking Duck so we ended up going..I've been watching my diet carefully and prepare food at home. I also do stir fry veg at home all the time. Last Sunday I made Spanish Paella with rice and seafood with chorizo (inspired by you @AndBreathe, I remember you saying you had them too and didn't spike :) ) blood sugar was back to 4.8..I was very happy...Lesson learned, you never know what preservatives or additives they put on your food or sauces when you go to restaurants. Choose wisely :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
My tea was horrible :-( you should be able to have a do-over if you dont like it. Started walking today. 1.5 miles. Not as fast as I'd like coz my trainer is 7 and pushed her dolly pram the whole way whilst asking unanswerable questions all the while!

At least you're teaching your trainer good habits lol

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I have lost 3 stone since Christmas. Quite slow I guess, but given I am eating loads and am never hungry, I call it a result. My priority is good BG, anything else is a bonus :)

It took me over a year to loose 2 stone. For me it wasn't about loosing weight. I changed my eating habits to lower carb ( most of the time, I am known to give in to temptation) and added in more activities .I only ever wanted to feel better and I do :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a friend wanted to eat Peking Duck so we ended up going..I've been watching my diet carefully and prepare food at home. I also do stir fry veg at home all the time. Last Sunday I made Spanish Paella with rice and seafood with chorizo (inspired by you @AndBreathe, I remember you saying you had them too and didn't spike :) ) blood sugar was back to 4.8..I was very happy...Lesson learned, you never know what preservatives or additives they put on your food or sauces when you go to restaurants. Choose wisely :)

That's really excellent Adelle. The used in cooking, and released by the chorizo can slow down the spike, so be mindful of that. But, yes. For me it's a "Yes" meal.

If you like punchy flavours have you tried the rendang I posted the recipe for? We had the leftovers of that this evening. Some of these things taste even better on their second go.

suehatton

Ive started using my fitness pal. Not sure if I should be counting calories as well. Anyway Im having about 1400 cals a day including milk and butter. Walked another 1.2 miles with my little trainer on her bike this time. Lots if stopping and starting crossing the roads, not sure how much cardio I got!! Shes promised to walk with me tomorrow. Off for 5 weeks now and goal is 11lb off in that time. Ambitious I know.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's really excellent Adelle. The used in cooking, and released by the chorizo can slow down the spike, so be mindful of that. But, yes. For me it's a "Yes" meal.

If you like punchy flavours have you tried the rendang I posted the recipe for? We had the leftovers of that this evening. Some of these things taste even better on their second go.
Yes I do like the spice--gives the meal a great "kick". I love, love rendang!was trying to look for the post, but couldn't find it. Would you mind reposting it for us? :) @AndBreathe, yes I've noticed that too they do taste good after you've kept them for awhile, or even after a week, the flavours infuse more on the meat. Was thinking of doing an osso buco with gremolata but instead of mashed potatoes, will be using cauliflower mash this week :) I'm salivating! :D

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do like the spice--gives the meal a great "kick". I love, love rendang!was trying to look for the post, but couldn't find it. Would you mind reposting it for us? :) @AndBreathe, yes I've noticed that too they do taste good after you've kept them for awhile, or even after a week, the flavours infuse more on the meat. Was thinking of doing an osso buco with gremolata but instead of mashed potatoes, will be using cauliflower mash this week :) I'm salivating! :D

There appear to be a lot of ingredients, but it's worth it, and I bet you'll want to make it again anyway, especially with the thickener being desiccated coconut. I could almost convince myself it's a low-ish carb meal, if it wasn't for the rice or noodles. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendang_78767

Actually, @Avocado Sevenfold does a mean Thai (I know rendang is Indonesian, not Thai) faux rice dish that would work really well. Hopefully she might look in.

Enjoy!

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This evenings meal

In a bowl
1 avocado cubed and mashed
1 healthy squirt of lemon juice (lazy have a purchased bottle in the fridge)
3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt
2 large cloves fresh minced garlic
little salt and some pepper, mixed up well and set aside.

In Pan #1
Fresh asparagus (8 -9 spears)
Wad of butter and 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced cover and leave over low heat.

In Pan #2
Wad of butter....1 clove minced garlic
1 nice piece of salmon, dust with liberal amount of lemon pepper, dried dill weed, and a very small dash of salt.
Medium heat, (nice crust formed on the one side)
Turn once in the pan and plate when done
Top with the avocado mix and add the side of asparagus.

Super yummy!! Full tummy!! and I think I might be Vampire proof for a while!! (it was a 5 clove meal)

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There appear to be a lot of ingredients, but it's worth it, and I bet you'll want to make it again anyway, especially with the thickener being desiccated coconut. I could almost convince myself it's a low-ish carb meal, if it wasn't for the rice or noodles. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendang_78767

Actually, @Avocado Sevenfold does a mean Thai (I know rendang is Indonesian, not Thai) faux rice dish that would work really well. Hopefully she might look in.

Enjoy!
Thank you, @AndBreathe! xx *hug*

We're having guests at home for dinner tonight, thinking of squeezing this dish in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.