What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'd be ignoring that Nurse if it were me. If you are getting higher readings when you eat carbs then you need to cut them down/ out and eat to your meter. I don't call that a cure but a way of controlling the disease rather than it controlling us.

Reactions: 6 people

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'd be ignoring that Nurse if it were me. If you are getting higher readings when you eat carbs then you need to cut them down/ out and eat to your meter. I don't call that a cure but a way of controlling the disease rather than it controlling us.
Thanks, I did notice since I stopped testing old habits have crept in like having a carby diet ready meal instead of cooking fresh. My BG spike is higher at an hour after meals. Should I get to the 1 hour spike or just the 2 hour one which is lower. For example if I spike up to 9's an hour after a meal but come down to the 8's at 2 hours should I avoid that meal because of the 1 hour spike?

The nurse said I will be cured soon but I don't get how you can be. Can you then go out and eat whatever you like for example sweets and carb laden food without spiking anymore?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I did notice since I stopped testing old habits have crept in like having a carby diet ready meal instead of cooking fresh. My BG spike is higher at an hour after meals. Should I get to the 1 hour spike or just the 2 hour one which is lower. For example if I spike up to 9's an hour after a meal but come down to the 8's at 2 hours should I avoid that meal because of the 1 hour spike?

The nurse said I will be cured soon but I don't get how you can be. Can you then go out and eat whatever you like for example sweets and carb laden food without spiking anymore?

[rant]
This whole 'cured' thing really annoys me.
And the fact that health care professionals are using it as a carrot to goad people with a promise of a 'cure' is irresponsible.
And how long until they are using it as a stick to beat us?
It strikes me as ignorant, unprofessional and inflicting mental cruelty.
And no, I'm not exaggerating.
The first HCP who trots out that drivel to me, is not going to know what hits them.
[\rant]

The reality is that your diabetes type 2 may not be curable by losing weight.
It may be. But it may not.

It depends on you, your particular reason for being diabetic, your age, your physique, your beta cell count and regeneration rate, your other health issues, environmental, chemical, drug and diet factors... The list is endless.

And your nurse doesn't know (cannot KNOW) whether you are curable, or not. Nor can she know, if you seem cured, whether it will return in 1 year, 5 years, or at any time.

Losing weight, improving your BMI and hba1c is a fab thing and the best thing you can do in your circumstances, but please do not hang your hopes on a mythical cure.

If it happens, we will all celebrate with you, but if it doesn't, there will be fewer pieces to pick up, if you keep your expectations realistic.

Reactions: 10 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Breakfast - 1 egg, 1 slice toast
Snack - 5 Brazil nuts
Lunch - cheese salad sandwich made with 1 slice burgen bread
Snack - pepperami...**** I know but I had a hospital appt which over ran and was tired so it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Dinner - steak, salad, green beans and 3 chips

Eating feels very functional at the moment but hoping for a better week...no binge days and no food-free days would be good!

Reactions: 2 people

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8"s are too high too. You need to go lower still.

Br. scrambled egg with parmesan, coffee and cream
L. cold sausage, ham, green leaves, celery, buttered Jarlsburg cheese. 90% chocolate
D. oxtail stew with some diced veg and broccoli. 1/4 poppadum, buttered (carefully), with cheddar. more chocolate, coffee +cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8"s are too high too. You need to go lower still.

Br. scrambled egg with parmesan, coffee and cream
L. cold sausage, ham, green leaves, celery, buttered Jarlsburg cheese. 90% chocolate
D. oxtail stew with some diced veg and broccoli. 1/4 poppadum, buttered (carefully), with cheddar. more chocolate, coffee +cream

I'm a careless butterer, myself. Think rustic wattle and daub, rather than glass-like master plastering. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :happy:

What brand is your 90% choc? :wacky:

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Terribly bad bfast and lunch
D doner kebab no pitta, tomorrow's another day :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[rant]
And the fact that health care professionals are using it as a carrot to goad people with a promise of a 'cure' is irresponsible.
The first HCP who trots out that drivel to me, is not going to know what hits them.
[\rant]

It depends on you, your particular reason for being diabetic, your age, your physique, your beta cell count and regeneration rate, your other health issues, environmental, chemical, drug and diet factors... The list is endless.

And your nurse doesn't know (cannot KNOW) whether you are curable, or not. Nor can she know, if you seem cured, whether it will return in 1 year, 5 years, or at any time.

Losing weight, improving your BMI and hba1c is a fab thing and the best thing you can do in your circumstances, but please do not hang your hopes on a mythical cure.

If it happens, we will all celebrate with you, but if it doesn't, there will be fewer pieces to pick up, if you keep your expectations realistic.

I am so with you on this rant. I'm sure that for some people losing weight will be enough to shift them back into the non-diabetic range, others wil have to lose weight and low carb , others again may never get there no matter what they do. It does seem irresponsible to talk about curing a condition which has so many factors influencing it and when no one knows the long term prognosis of those having followed the Newcastle protocol. I read on here about people being told they're cured or that they'll be removed from register after so long and I worry. It is maybe just me, but the monitoring is reassuring and a good way to motivate me and keep me on track.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[rant]
[\rant]

The HbA1c is all that matters to them. If you wish to keep your diabetic treatment ongoing, don't reduce it to much

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So envy you bluetit1802... I so wish I could find the pangs to eat what you have ate today...

I'm never hungry and could always miss a meal without really noticing, but we are a sit down to 3 meals a day family (only the 2 of us now of course), but we still sit down at the table at much the same time every day. It's ingrained. 3 meals and no snacks. So I suppose I am eating lunch not because I'm hungry but because it's 1pm. If you see what I mean.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd like to see pictures of meals on here to compare portion sizes.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm never hungry and could always miss a meal without really noticing, but we are a sit down to 3 meals a day family (only the 2 of us now of course), but we still sit down at the table at much the same time every day. It's ingrained. 3 meals and no snacks. So I suppose I am eating lunch not because I'm hungry but because it's 1pm. If you see what I mean.

End of next week hubby works 2-10 till xmas.. Dreading it as I know when he isn't around and we not having meals together then I just don't give a **** about eating.

You have just made me think a lot clearer.... I do only eat a full meal when others with me or when hubby leaves my breakfast out for me...

Going to have to get up a tad earlier I think when he does his pm shifts and have a cooked breakfast instead...

Never thought about doing this before, as never realised my eating was so reliant upon eating with other people.

Thankyou for prompting me to think about my eating habits more than I've done before.....

We always sit down together to eat, which I so enjoy.. Just got to rethink days to plan out cooked breakfasts....

Thankyou @Bluetit1802....

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

Its a fantastic book. Not the pocket one. Mine arrived today. Much better than the app. Hundreds of photos of different portion sizes and foods

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my portion sizes are huge. :happy:

What do they say? 'A handful is never enough' ;)?

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.