Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boil kettle
grab a 500 ml measuring jug
tip in 2 hugely heaped teasp of good cocoa powder (my teaspoons are bigger than average)
tip in about half as much again of your sugar substitute
tip in a huge dollop of peanut butter
tip in about 5 heaped dessert spoons of chia seeds
pour in boiling water to about the 500ml mark
stir until all lumps gone.

leave to sit until suitably gloopy.

serve with cream

Sorry I cant be more exact, but I always do these things on the spur of the moment.

It is actually rather nice. and very filling.
I think that would do at least 4 good portions, maybe 5.

I tipped half into a bowl for my lunch (just that, nothing else) and I have ground to a halt with half the bowl left.
Which is kind of amazing.

There are thousands of chia seed puds on Google, if you search. most are beautifully photographed in tiny little glasses... but I have no idea what a real sized portion should be - except that mine was too big!

Reactions: 9 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Boil kettle
tip in 2 hugely heaped teasp of good cocoa powder (my teaspoons are bigger than average)

serve with cream

Sorry I cant be more exact, but I always do these things on the spur of the moment.

I tipped half into a bowl for my lunch (just that, nothing else) and I have ground to a halt with half the bowl left.

There are thousands of chia seed puds on Google, if you search. most are beautifully photographed in tiny little glasses... but I have no idea what a real sized portion should be - except that mine was too big!
Perfect... :) Thank you.... I know how to make a simple one, but that sounds so much better.... and I like your portion sizes too... :hungry:

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Boil kettle

Thanks Brunneria
:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: well actually I'm stuffed full from my half frittata - I do a 6 egg one and save half for the day after and usually left wondering whether to eat the other half - today I struggled to finish it and I knew I had eaten too much as I got the hiccups....:D
Last night I started using a nice smallish glass for my yoghurt snacks instead of eating out of the pot. With a few seed additions and a smaller spoon it was much more satisfying and meant I hadn't almost gotten to the bottom of the pot before I realised - I sat down and made a treat out of it....

Sounds like this pud might be nice cold with some jelly too

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Perfect... :) Thank you.... I know how to make a simple one, but that sounds so much better.... and I like your portion sizes too... :hungry:
And I've just ordered, last night, some pistachio butter £27 for 1kg - ulp :***: and some almond butter (much more reasonably priced) and 1kf almond flour now that you told me that ground almonds is the same. I got the raw ground ones and not the blanched ones - does that sound right? Guessing it will have the nice brown skins in as well that way. And I accidentally ordered 1kg of peanut butter as well......it came up with the almond butter search and I didn't read the listing properly....not to worry..... oooh, never looked for hazelnut butter - must be some - then can blend in some cocoa powder and make it into choc hazelnut spread....

Ooh and another thought for the chia pudding - instead of plain sweetener I can use my skinny syrups

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
And I've just ordered, last night, some pistachio butter £27 for 1kg - ulp :***: and some almond butter (much more reasonably priced) and 1kf almond flour now that you told me that ground almonds is the same. I got the raw ground ones and not the blanched ones - does that sound right? Guessing it will have the nice brown skins in as well that way. And I accidentally ordered 1kg of peanut butter as well......it came up with the almond butter search and I didn't read the listing properly....not to worry..... oooh, never looked for hazelnut butter - must be some - then can blend in some cocoa powder and make it into choc hazelnut spread....

Ooh and another thought for the chia pudding - instead of plain sweetener I can use my skinny syrups
I have a recipe somewhere for low-carb Nutella... :) Hazelnut butter is lovely too... you'll soon get through your peanut butter... :) I know what you mean about eating standing up with a pot and spoon... desperate... :)

Reactions: 4 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. All bran with ss milk, boiled egg.
L. Veg soup, boiled egg.
S. Coffee with cream.
D. Tandoori chicken mini fillets, cauliflower and leek mash with butter n cream :hungry:, peas, carrots and sweetcorn. Small bar of 85% choc. bg post 2 hr 6.8

only just made my 1200 calories today but not hungry nor craving bread! Result! :D

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast boiled egg spelt toast
Lunch ham mushroom frittata and coleslaw and salad from the deli. I may have developed a soft spot for Phil the frittata man.
Dinner roast pork , roast swede , cauli cheese and few peas cyder vinegar gravy.

Reactions: 6 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - veggie frittata
L - smoked mackerel page and salad
S - 30gs of walnuts
D - 1 lamb chop, 1 lamb steak, spring greens, mushrooms and horseradish sauce

Strawberries and cream for later if I need it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 9bar, coffeencream
L: Choc chia pud and cream
S: Choc chia pud and cream
The only downside is that I couldn't find my bg meter. Hey ho.
D:Chicken thighs, chicken liver in tomato and horseradish, with onion bhaji, followed by strawbs, bluebs and cream

Reactions: 10 people
S

Sable_Jan

B: 9bar, coffeencream
L: Choc chia pud and cream
The only downside is that I couldn't find my bg meter. Hey ho.
D:Chicken thighs, chicken liver in tomato and horseradish, with onion bhaji, followed by strawbs, bluebs and cream
The chia pud obviously goes down extremely well ;). Can't wait to try it but must use jelly up first....mayb wth some plain Alpro & chia seeds. Not ALL the jelly cos it's still a full bowl I made yesterday

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Busy week for me this week, and I have been off the waggon regarding sweet stuff :-(
However, two days running I have had a hypo 2 hours after breakfast, so I've reduced my morning insulin by 1 unit and will monitor it.
Today:
B: ham cheese and four baby plum toms, bullet coffee. Tested 2 hours after 3.6, so I had my emergency biscuit and two baby courgettes
L: quiche and coffee with milk
D: went to a preview of an art exhibition and was planning on eating out but the gallery only had scones and cakes on offer :rolleyes: did not want to tempt fate twice in one day by not eating anything so I opted for a cheese scone. Also had a glass of prosecco (it was free so how could I refuse?)
Got back home and tested bg was 7.2 :-o had a slice of ham, some brie and yoghurt cream and blackberries

Hope you get well soon @Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy week for me this week, and I have been off the waggon regarding sweet stuff :-(
However, two days running I have had a hypo 2 hours after breakfast, so I've reduced my morning insulin by 1 unit and will monitor it.
Today:
B: ham cheese and four baby plum toms, bullet coffee. Tested 2 hours after 3.6, so I had my emergency biscuit and two baby courgettes
L: quiche and coffee with milk
D: went to a preview of an art exhibition and was planning on eating out but the gallery only had scones and cakes on offer :rolleyes: did not want to tempt fate twice in one day by not eating anything so I opted for a cheese scone. Also had a glass of prosecco (it was free so how could I refuse?)
Got back home and tested bg was 7.2 :-o had a slice of ham, some brie and yoghurt cream and blackberries

Hope you get well soon @Brunneria

Aw, thanks, am very much on the mend :)
Much better and sleeping well, and the coughing is nearly gone, so all in all very happy.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast boiled egg spelt toast
Lunch ham mushroom frittata and coleslaw and salad from the deli. I may have developed a soft spot for Phil the frittata man.
Dinner roast pork , roast swede , cauli cheese and few peas cyder vinegar gravy.

What's cyder vinegar gravy?!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No time today... been stuck on the laptop trying to find the cheapest bargains for the machines for my new kitchen... I'm sooo sick of it... :) I'm having buttered steamed sliced beans, purple sprouting broccoli, baby sprouts and fennel with poached salmon and a little mayonnaise.. I shall have coyo with strawberries afterwards... I made a sort of moussaka today - sliced and salted aubergine last night... rinsed it this morning, patted dry and wondered what to do with it... fried it in garlic olive oil, then courgette, then portobello mushroom and cherry tomatoes... made 'béchamel' with cream, creme fraiche and grated Cornish Cove... poured it over, baked at 180 for 25... brilliant... :) Ate two chillies stuffed with cheese and some goat's cheese while I was doing it, small glass of red wine.... breakfast was three slices of my mic bread with Roquefort and Magic Bullet coffee... I've done this all upside-down... :confused: Meant to do it properly...
My God you eat well. Can I come over and learn to cook with you?

Lucy

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My God you eat well. Can I come over and learn to cook with you?

Lucy
I'd like that Lucy... :) This morning I've had half a small CoYo with a handful of blueberries; two slices of my mic muffin bread toasted with lactose-free cream cheese and St Daniele prosciutto and three espressos with cream...
Going to stay with my son so I can spend some time with my granddaughter and they will feed me a lot of food for lunch, but I don't know what yet! They are both wonderful cooks though, so it should be good...
Dinner is roast chicken, I know, with steamed veg... :), red wine for sure, and maybe a CoYo with strawberries for pud...
You're right, I do eat a lot... crumbs... :confused:
Susi

Reactions: 7 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boil kettle

serve with cream

Sounds amazing. I had cocoa chia pudding every morning at the Paleo-inspired hotel of amazingness (after a full cooked breakfast of course) on my recent trip.
Am away with family at the mo and manfully trying my best. Today I had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, lunch was the inside of an egg and bacon quiche and a spinach and ricotta roll, coleslaw and 2 blue cheese stuffed mini peppers. Dinner was roast chicken with coleslaw, another stuffed mini pepper, and lettuce and tomato. I also had a glass of champagne.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds amazing. I had cocoa chia pudding every morning at the Paleo-inspired hotel of amazingness (after a full cooked breakfast of course) on my recent trip.
Am away with family at the mo and manfully trying my best. Today I had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, lunch was the inside of an egg and bacon quiche and a spinach and ricotta roll, coleslaw and 2 blue cheese stuffed mini peppers. Dinner was roast chicken with coleslaw, another stuffed mini pepper, and lettuce and tomato. I also had a glass of champagne.

so how big were the chia seed pud portions then?

I feel I need guidance on this, or my natural gluttony will just take over (although it may have done already...)

I think it would be nice with chopped strawberries kinda depth charged into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.