What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Blackberries and cream

L. Slice of ham, houmous and Harrogate blue cheese.

1 hours swimming

D. Steak in onion gravy, carrots, and cabbage. Strawberries with Oppo salted caramel icecream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening.

Blood glucose levels have been very consistent today - 5.8 on waking, down (yes, no early morning rise) to 5.6, then 5.2 two hours later. Pre and post lunch also 5.2 and pre-dinner 5.1. Waiting to test post dinner.

Breakfast - skipped

Lunch - regular Friday visit to Nando's. 5 plain wings, salad @mo53 they have a new dressing- peri peri pomegranate (didn't try it)

Dinner - 2 sausages, 1 rasher bacon and 1 Birds Eye burger; 2 squares Lindt 90%

Reactions: Ultramum

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal I've never eaten at Nandos and we don't have one here. I wonder if it will go on sale in supermarkets like the others have. Sounds good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Goonergal I've never eaten at Nandos and we don't have one here. I wonder if it will go on sale in supermarkets like the others have. Sounds good.

You can get Nando's sauces in most supermarkets. I've only had Nando's a couple of times (in a Nando's restaurant) but it was basically roast chicken, salad, sauce and - in those days - chips. I think you have a Morrisons up in your neck of the woods (if you live where I think you've mentioned you live) they definitely do Nando's sauces. The garlic one is gorgeous.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today.....

Breakfast: Lidl protein roll cut in half, toasted and buttered with a fried egg on each half

Lunch: 2 squares of 90%

Dinner: The other half of the spicy lamb and apricot stew thing (with Moroccan spices) that I had yesterday with cauliflower rice and a few butterbeans

Snack: Not sure.... I didn't each all my dinner so I'm trying to ignore that I've got the munchies....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I hadn't eaten there until quite recently - was always put off because as a lover of simple food, I thought it would be too spicy for me. It works really well because the "plain" chicken is still marinated it doesn't have any hot sauce added. I find it tasty and along with a salad, it barely moves my blood sugar levels. There are hundreds of them in London so there's nearly always somewhere 'safe' for me to eat when out and about.

I believe the sauces are sold in supermarkets, but don't know if the full range is available.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook yes I thought I had seen them in Morrisons. I'll have a better look next time I'm there.

@Goonergal it sounds a really handy place to eat. I do get infuriated with scrutinising menus to find something to eat..

D

Deleted member 308541

You can get Nando's sauces in most supermarkets.
Here's a pix of my favourite Nando's Peri Peri sauce, the supermarkets here have a full range of Nando's products both sauce and marinades.

fRIt7oQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dukidoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
OK Oomi Noodles - I am delighted to say that is the most pasta like non pasta I have ever had. Got them in Tesco and you get 2 portions. 1 portion is 7g of carbs. I made an Oomi Carbonara.
Fried off some panchetta and a couple of chestnut mushrooms in olive oil. Added a pack of Oomi Noodles and stir fried to loosen them up (dropped the heat a bit). Then added about a dessert spoon of Philly , dash of double cream and couple of tablespoons of parmesan. Plenty of black pepper. REALLY tasted good.
Noodles are made with fish protein but there is no smell and no taste of fish. Can really recommend them.
PS Portion was big enough for me. Males may need something alongside it.

Hi,don't normally join in this forum ,but read comments and enjoy the banter.
So interested in "Oomi Noodles" as missing pasta type foods . I have a Tesco locally ,so in which aisle do I find this treasure ??
Thanks to all who regularly contribute

D

Deleted member 308541

Cooking up the breakfast omelettes this morning, my partner started to play silly büggers and dropped a big scoop full of Greek Yoghurt into the beaten up eggs and cheese mushroom mix.

It looked very sus when I mixed it in, it took a bit of beating to get the mix smooth.

Good thing it tasted great, so a "Cracking idea Grommit". :D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,don't normally join in this forum ,but read comments and enjoy the banter.
So interested in "Oomi Noodles" as missing pasta type foods . I have a Tesco locally ,so in which aisle do I find this treasure ??
Thanks to all who regularly contribute
They are just an "on shelf" item. They have them on one of the end shelves in my local store as it is a new item and they are promoting them. I think it was the end shelf around the ready meals. Ask one of the staff. Our lot are good at finding things. Pack is bright yellow with a black top with OOMI written in white. On the bottom pack there's a black semicircular line that makes the pack look like a smiley face. Hope this helps.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, chipolatas, mushrooms, grilled tomato

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: I'm going to friends for dinner so I don't know what I'm having. We have often talked about low carbing so fingers crossed she has taken it on-board. Mr C says I ought to take something with me but I think that would be rude. I also don't want to eat before I go because I know I'd be upset if a guest didn't eat the food I'd prepared. Difficult situation. :arghh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
Been away for a couple of days, so food has been very different from usual.

Thursday:
From what I can remember...
B: nothing
L: coffee substitute and cream followed by leftover chicken and veg from night before
D: self serve carvery. lettuce, tomato, pate and coleslaw, followed by roast beef, red cabbage and courgette/sweetcorn mix. Then had a small slice of too sickly cheesecake. left the base (cos of the gluten) and added cream, but didn't really enjoy it.

Yesterday:
B: bacon and egg
L: gorgeous LC salad of cold meats, cheeses, antipasti and some berries. Heavenly
D: self serve carvery, so I went for turkey breast with coleslaw, sliced tomatoes, cabbage and 2 new potatoes with butter. Odd combo, but it made sense at the time. Skipped pud by forgetting all about it. :D

Today:
B: bacon and egg
L: nothing so far
D: intending to do something creative with chicken thighs and celeriac, so maybe a celeriac rosti or celeriac chips.

Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I missed yesterday ...
Cheese omelette and mushrooms
Nothing until 4pm then about 40g (forgot to weigh them!) macadamia nuts
Stir fried peppers with chorizo plus leeks and cauli rice followed by Lidl roll and two squares of 81%

Today:
Cheese omelette and mushrooms
Hake in herb butter with stir fried cabbage and broccoletti
Homemade coleslaw plus homemade guacamole - off to a concert tonight so light tea in a tub to eat before going in followed by an evening of Diet coke

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - skipped

Lunch - out and about; Five Guys bunless cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce with mayo, tomato and onion

Dinner - salami, cheese; 10 raspberries and cream; 2 squares 90%

Reactions: Chook

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all

B - nothing

L - 2 boiled eggs, small salad and meat, sat on top of black tor in the Peak District watching the world go by

D- beef with cashew nuts and small bowl of natural yoghurt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I missed yesterday too. Getting far too annoyed with these so called politicians. If my child or grandchildren behaved like that they would be disciplined. No 1 didn't help matters today by being so badly behaved and moody that I had to take him out of swimming. Anyway
Yesterday
B. 2 posh puppies, fried egg and 2 rashers of back bacon.
L. Tassimo morning coffee and a dash of cream and 2 Walnuts
D. Chicken breast with ham and cheese, steamed cauliflower and sprouts. So cheesed off with politics managed to put veg onto steam with No water in the bottom! Cue Smoked steamed veg!
Today
B. Boiled egg and Tassimo morning coffee and a dash of cream
L. Slice of Tesco high protein bread with pate and a tomato
D. Venison burger , Slice of cheese , few mushrooms and a wee bit salad. Didn't finish as the venison burger was really filling.
2 squares 90%
Going back to banging my head against a wall and wondering who is paying for Nicola Sturgeon to fly about in a helicopter this time and why the media isn't saying more about Labour's plans for a Land Value Tax and slashing the Inheritance Tax threshold. Gee I'll be glad when Friday comes.

Reactions: Goonergal

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: Bacon roll (Lidl protein roll) - big mug of Tassimo Decaff

Lunch: Probably nothing but maybe a few walnuts and/or brazil nuts

Dinner: Roast chicken, Mr C's secret recipe stuffing balls (made with sausagemeat), roast 'snips, carrots, cauliflower, runner beans and....... wooo hoooooo ..... the first of the chard from the garden (my favourite veg), no sugar cranberry sauce, gravy.

Forgot to get any raspberries - so no pudding but maybe a couple of squares of 90%

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A better overnight Bed 6.6 FBG 6.7 and pre breakfast was 6.9. Goodness knows how as I was really stressed out yesterday. Anyway
B/L slice of Tesco high protein bread with pate and a tomato. Tassimo morning coffee and a dash of cream
D. Brain was not functioning well yesterday but opted for calamari and tartare sauce to start. Rib eye steak (great stand by) , a mix of peppers, red onion, mushrooms and courgette oven roasted and either aubergine or celeriac chips for me. The carbaholics will get Jersey Royals and onion rings (I won't repeat last week's mistake of trying jersey royals). Dessert for everyone else is a chocolate and salted caramel cheesecake which is way too sweet for my tastes so I won't be tempted.
I will however have my usual campari and soda and a wee prosecco.
Oddly I have just recalled the taste of mashed banana with sugar and warm milk which my Mum used to feed me when I was little and I'll. No idea why. Perhaps I'm longing for nicer times.