What is the testing rules for first time diabetic

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in a bit of a tizz and was wondering what the rules were when getting testing, let me explain
Had all the diabetic palaver weeing tired, and I got a urine sample, and then a psco (sic) blood test i came back I had sugar in my urine, my dr told me I was diabetic, he made an appointment for another blood test and to see a diabetic nurse next week now he wants me to give him another urine test in 2 weeks this will be after seeing the diabetic nurse, I am really confused by this, could it be that the Dr got the blood test was wrong and that is why he wants yet another urine sample (I am unsure if it is the same in the NHS system but it's urine to go into the red top urine bottle) I don't want to take up the diabetic nurses time for nothing or is this just standard procedure, finally how long does it take for you peeing to go back to normal after seeing diabetic nurse, I am on average peeing 20 times a day and just want my 8 hours sleep at night back . This is my first post and it's nice to meet you all

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Baldbilluk :)

Diabetes is usually diagnosed by a blood test. Perhaps the second urine test is for something else eg to rule out a urine infection?

If it was me, I'd phone up and ask. It's your health :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Are you in the UK?

If I were you I would definitely see the nurse next week and ask every question you can think of, such as:.
Which blood tests were taken?
What were the blood sugar levels?
Am I type 1 or type 2?
What is a psco test and what does it mean?
What is the second urine test looking for?

A diabetes diagnosis cannot be made on the strength of a urine test. It has to be a blood test, and the normal one for this is an HbA1c.

The second urine test is most likely to check for other things, such as protein.

If you don't see your nurse you can't ask these questions. She may also have more information for you and will be able to place you on the diabetic care pathway. She should refer you for annual retina screening and foot checks. So yes, you need to go and see her. In the UK most doctors devolve diabetes care to nurses.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on the NHS website and the test is a PSA blood test (nearly got it right in my original email) and that is why i easy thinking it might be my post rate but I had sugar in my urine would prostrate issues have that, anyway as bluetit said just attend diabetic clinic and ask all the hard questions, the appointment is in 3 weeks so will have to wait, if it was a post rate issue it would have shown on first urine or been checked on first blood test i suppose I am just worried as i am a pretty healthy guy and hate being ill

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome you must keep your appointment for the nurse. When you do your next urine test do it from the first one of the morning and do a mid flow as they call it ( wee stop then collect your sample wee ) then continue Hope all goes well for you

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have got over the guilt factor and now realised that I might have to just deal with things when they happen I am a bit control freaky and want to know everything before it happens and not getting much sleep due to peeing is making it worse, I now think that my urine was a bit week and now they will use this last one with the hba1c test and the diabetic nurses report to build a bigger picture, also if I am getting an hba1c test does that mean I definitely have diabetic and the test will inform how bad it is, it is so I can ignore any idea that it was a false reading for diabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The HbA1c test will confirm diabetes one way or the other. It measures your blood glucose average over the previous 2 to 3 months. Anything above a result of 47 (or 6.5%) is diabetic. Between 42 and 47 is pre-diabetic, under 42 is non-diabetic.

Dark Horse

Hi and welcome you must keep your appointment for the nurse. When you do your next urine test do it from the first one of the morning and do a mid flow as they call it ( wee stop then collect your sample wee ) then continue Hope all goes well for you
With a mid-stream specimen of urine,you're not supposed to stop weeing before you collect it. You should start weeing and, once full flow is established, hold the collection bottle under the stream of urine then remove it before the flow starts to slow. This is particularly important for women when collecting urine for microbiological analysis.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, what a palaver!!! The Dr gave me so little information and now I am back at square one!!! What is true is that I am peeing a heck of a lot and tired all the time so hopefully all of these tests will confirm something will try and get any info I can does the diabetic nurse get the result of the HcA1c test?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hold the collection bottle under the stream of urine then remove it before the flow starts to slow
No doctor has ever explained this and to be honest I would have looked at them like :eek:
:yuck:
No wonder I failed with the old margerine tub method and got sent for a scan

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would going for a blood glucose test at my local chemist tell me if I am diabetic, even if it's just preliminary, I just want to know IF I am diabetic or not, it will not tell me for sure but would this be a good indication

Dark Horse

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, a test at the chemist will just tell you if you should see you doctor about HBA1C test. Please try to be patient

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Alison Campbell being patient is not my personality!!!!! I am the worse person for being patient, they say that irritability is a sign of diabetes and I cannot wait to have an excuse to use it, I am currently using not getting any sleep at the moment!!!!! I have been given great information and I cannot thank every one for their in put I really appreciate it and if I am diabetic this website will certainly be my first port of call thanks again

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The urine sample I gave after diagnosis was to check liver function I think - not something simple.
If you are a type 2 diabetic cutting down carbohydrates in your diet will stop the disturbed nights.
When you eat carbohydrate and can't process it rather than let it stay in your blood your kidneys allow it to be lost, but only at fairly dilute rates, so it takes a long time to get rid of it and by then you have probably eaten more carbs so it is a never ending process.
The low carb diet means that you can eat the steak with mushrooms and tomatoes, but not the chips. I think that we get the best deal in a poor situation.
There are other types of diabetes but it will seem a long time to your appointment and if you can get a few good nights sleep you should feel better for it.

Reactions: Philb69

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Alison Campbell being patient is not my personality!!!!! I am the worse person for being patient, they say that irritability is a sign of diabetes and I cannot wait to have an excuse to use it, I am currently using not getting any sleep at the moment!!!!! I have been given great information and I cannot thank every one for their in put I really appreciate it and if I am diabetic this website will certainly be my first port of call thanks again
If you have a long wait and are getting impatient you could buy yourself a blood glucose meter, it would be a waste of money, if you turn out not to be diabetic, but may give you an idea what's going on. Here's a guide to what the readings should be:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I got an SD Code Free meter starter kit from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codefree-G...-3&keywords=sd+codefree+blood+glucose+monitor
Just note it only comes with a limited number of test strips and lancets, so you may want to order extra.
If you do go down this route and want advice about results, people here can help you interpret them.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a long wait and are getting impatient you could buy yourself a blood glucose meter, it would be a waste of money, if you turn out not to be diabetic, but may give you an idea what's going on. Here's a guide to what the readings should be:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I got an SD Code Free meter starter kit from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codefree-G...-3&keywords=sd+codefree+blood+glucose+monitor
Just note it only comes with a limited number of test strips and lancets, so you may want to order extra.
If you do go down this route and want advice about results, people here can help you interpret them.
The Codefree BG tester and 10 strips kit is only £12 from Amazon and well worth the investment. It will instantly tell you if your BG is non-diabetic/prediabetic or diabetic and then you will be more in control x

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am unwaged at the moment and only get very basic benefit and it is a lot of money just to pay out on a whim, what I will do is go for my blood test on Thursday and ask the nurse what she can tell me from my medical report and then if I am still confused make another wee appointment to see the Dr to see what he thinks even if it is not a "proper" answer only speculative then it might allay some of my fears.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well after all of the palaver (again) over the weekend I went back to my Drs and this time I saw the diabetic nurse, so I was able to get all the information I needed and alas I AM diabetic, I was 14 on the scale (do not know what that means, but I was told it should be between 3-6) so I am now a member of the diabetic club UK.....
As it was a quick confirmation test, I did not ask all of the questions as I will do that when I see her in 2 weeks, but got the information confirmed, now as I have 2 weeks what should i start doing! , do i just leave it till I see her or should I start "dieting plan" just now, I am unsure if she wants it to continue just to see if it increases?
But the load of my mind is that I am definately diabetic.....