What is the testing rules for first time diabetic

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a bummer @Baldbilluk but at least you know where you are.

My tip is to gather as much knowledge as you can, and that starts with your diagnostic test results. You need to know which tests you had and what the levels were, and the best way forward with this is to ask for print outs. If you are in England your surgery most likely puts test results on-line, so you could also ask if they do, and how to register for this. You will be having regular blood tests from now on. A print out will help you.

Then you need a blood glucose meter. I know you said you are wageless at the moment, but as they are essential can you find the money from somewhere? Without one you are working blind and with one you can quickly discover what to eat and what not to eat. The Codefree and the Tee2 are the cheapest.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here. (The meter is free. The strips are a little bit more expensive than the Codefree)
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

If/when you get one we will help you to use it to its best advantage.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think maybe you don't pay for prescriptions as you are unwaged, but if you do you will now get all prescriptions free as a diagnosed diabetic.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that I would not get a meter, at least just now, possibly later on, so buying a glucose meter is the way to go, I am going to buy a code free one now, also does it come with the needles, i know i have to buy the indicators, but how many needles do you get with the above codefree (Message for bluetit)

Also what version do I buy is it the mmol/L or mg/dl

Also as my reading was 14 is that the hba1c reading or is that something else, I had a PSA test done and the reading came from this and a blood test I have done today is an Hba1c test so what is the 14 reading, would that just be a urine reading, as i have noticed that Hba1c reading for other diabetics are a lot higher?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that I would not get a meter, at least just now, possibly later on, so buying a glucose meter is the way to go, I am going to buy a code free one now, also does it come with the needles, i know i have to buy the indicators, but how many needles do you get with the above codefree (Message for bluetit)

Also as my reading was 14 is that the hba1c reading or is that something else, I had a PSA test done and the reading came from this and a blood test I have done today is an Hba1c test so what is the 14 reading, would that just be a urine reading, as i have noticed that Hba1c reading for other diabetics are a lot higher?
I have a code free, it came with just ten test strips and ten lancets. You can set it for mmol/l or mg/dl.
The 14 result you were given sounds to me like a finger prick test or maybe a fasting glucose test. HbA1c results come out as 25 or higher and that's from a blood test sent to the lab for analysis. Here's a link to explain HbA1c tests for you:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fasting glucose test sounds right, I was asked not to eat or drink (only water) for approx 8 hours before going to the surgery, so you are correct, will know the results of my HbA1c test when I see the diabetic nurse, I asked her to contact me if its an emergency, also this is the test i am repeating in 2 weeks, so I understand it all now, another wee question, is there anyway that we can reduce the night peeing, is there any wee rules that might help, its just that I NEED a good nights sleep, so can anyone advice me, and thanks for the information on the glucose monitor, I did not know that it had both reading, the webpage told me to "pick one" thanks again

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Great that you have decided to get a meter. You won't regret it. When you buy the Codefree starter pack it comes with some lancets (needles). I can't say how many because I don't use them. I have never used them. I prefer a different sort of lancet device (an Accu-Chek Fastclix) but hopefully someone else will be able to tell you.

You need the mmol/l version. (The other one is for American and some other countries)

I don't know what the 14 was. Did your GP take the tests? Was blood taken from your arm and sent away to a lab for analysis? Was blood taken after you had been asked to fast for 8 or 10 hours? Was it a finger prick test taken with or without fasting? It could be any sort of test. If you want to know for sure you will have to ask your nurse. You are obviously very confused about which tests you had, so I suggest you try to find out.

HbA1c test results in the UK have 2 types of results. The old version is a percentage and will look something like 10% (or more or less than this). The newer version is in mmol/mol units and will be between a number somewhere in the 30's up to well over 100. So when you see someone post that their HbA1c is 6.5, you know it is the old version. If they post it is 53, you know it is the new version. You can convert one to the other here. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html It is confusing, it confuses us all!

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that you have decided to get a meter. You won't regret it. When you buy the Codefree starter pack it comes with some lancets (needles). I can't say how many because I don't use them. I have never used them. I prefer a different sort of lancet device (an Accu-Chek Fastclix) but hopefully someone else will be able to tell you.

You need the mmol/l version. (The other one is for American and some other countries)

I don't know what the 14 was. Did your GP take the tests? Was blood taken from your arm and sent away to a lab for analysis? Was blood taken after you had been asked to fast for 8 or 10 hours? Was it a finger prick test taken with or without fasting? It could be any sort of test. If you want to know for sure you will have to ask your nurse. You are obviously very confused about which tests you had, so I suggest you try to find out.

HbA1c test results in the UK have 2 types of results. The old version is a percentage and will look something like 10% (or more or less than this). The newer version is in mmol/mol units and will be between a number somewhere in the 30's up to well over 100. So when you see someone post that their HbA1c is 6.5, you know it is the old version. If they post it is 53, you know it is the new version. You can convert one to the other here. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html It is confusing, it confuses us all![/QUOTE

It was simply a fasting glucose test that was done the Hba1c test was done today, so that is why it is so low, if it is 14 under the fasting glucose test is that an indication of the Hba 1C test or is this simply just a number? and can you help to reduce

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it was simply a fasting glucose test that was done the Hba1c test was done today, so that is why it is so low, if it is 14 under the fasting glucose test is that an indication of the Hba 1C test or is this simply just a number? and can you help to reduce night time peeing?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.......and can you help to reduce night time peeing?
You can start helping reduce the extra visits to the loo by starting a low carb diet. The reason you're peeing so much is that your body is peeing out the excess sugar, this goes into your pee if your finger prick test is high, over 10mmols/l I think.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that your avatars says "Insulin dependent diabetic " - have they put you straight onto insulin? If so then they should have done some other tests first to find out out much insulin you already have in your body. You can do that via a fasting insulin test - you should ask to have your inslin levels checked before you start injecting yourself. If it is already high injecting won't help as mch as a simple low carb diet will, it only helps if your own insulin production is already too low.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello cherry AA I am not on anything at the moment just had the hba1c test done so still waiting for the results and for a dietician appointment so still a bit confused on what I can eat will start looking around for low carb foods and see how I get on thanks for your help

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

First off.

If you are now diabetic you should apply for a medical exemption card, unless you are over retirement age. Best to do this, even if not working... your nurse has the information.

Second:
If you are in England then your doctors shoukd offer an online service. Tjose that do, in the majority allow you to view your test results online. This is a good way of getting your info quickly and accurately. Ie I'm having bloods taken Weds morn... I will be able to review my blood results at the latest Thurs morn online. I then have to contact Dr and speak to him by phone to see what needs to be done next. I dont need to ask the GP or nurse results. They are there as soon as the GP has reviewed them. This is handy too. If you are diabetic its good to know your results.

If males do have to be getting up in night for a pee it is normal to have PSA and hba1c blood tests taken. Also sometimes thyroid as well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it was simply a fasting glucose test that was done the Hba1c test was done today, so that is why it is so low, if it is 14 under the fasting glucose test is that an indication of the Hba 1C test or is this simply just a number? and can you help to reduce night time peeing?

In that case, the fasting blood glucose test of 14 was high. It needs to be under 7 to be anywhere near normal. The measurement units for a fasting BG test are mmol/l and not the same as the measurement units on HbA1c tests. They are not the same thing at all and can't be compared. The HbA1c is the main diagnostic test, which is why you are having one, but the fasting test suggests very strongly that you are diabetic.

The night time loo visits are most likely because your blood sugar levels are too high. (there could be other reasons). If you want to control your blood sugar levels and stop this peeing, you must cut down on the amount of carbohydrates you eat. That means bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and most fruit as well as sugar and sugary drinks. All carbs turn to sugar once inside your blood stream, so you need to start reducing or eliminating them from your food choices.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
The fasting glucose test sounds right, I was asked not to eat or drink (only water) for approx 8 hours before going to the surgery, so you are correct, will know the results of my HbA1c test when I see the diabetic nurse, I asked her to contact me if its an emergency, also this is the test i am repeating in 2 weeks, so I understand it all now, another wee question, is there anyway that we can reduce the night peeing, is there any wee rules that might help, its just that I NEED a good nights sleep, so can anyone advice me, and thanks for the information on the glucose monitor, I did not know that it had both reading, the webpage told me to "pick one" thanks again
Getting the blood glucose stable will reduce the frequent need to urinate. This is the bodies way of trying to expell excess glucose. The glucose meter will greatly assist with control and free you from this 'wee' problem!