What type of carbs do you consume?

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading post from various people that they can tolerate carbs upto 100gm a day. What carbs do you consume apart from non starchy vegetables?
Do you exercise to consume those carbs? I am also curious to know if for low carb has increased anyone's carb tolerance?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep under 50g/day made up from veggies, berries, Greek yoghurt and keto coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast. Plus other odd amounts from occasional HiLo bread, ready made sauces (carefully selected for the lowest carbs), dark chocolate and seeds to make up fibre intake.

Reactions: Ponchu

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading post from various people that they can tolerate carbs upto 100gm a day. What carbs do you consume apart from non starchy vegetables?
Do you exercise to consume those carbs? I am also curious to know if for low carb has increased anyone's carb tolerance?
I am exercising but not nearly enough.

Carbs I eat include a couple of slices of low carb Hovis bread a day, occasional brown or wild rice in low quantities, an occasional jacket potato. Some of the very low carb food I eat includes some fruit, mainly berries, the occasional apple and orange, Greek yoghourt and full fat milk.

It’s easy to miss stuff out though.

To get it in perspective. I am steering clear of an awful lot of carbs though including cereals, pasta, white rice and bread, potatoes in general, cakes biscuits, fruit juice. No added sugar and no sweets or chocolates except 85% stuff.

I don’t think I am as low as Rachox at 50g. Maybe nearer 100 or just over. I haven’t been counting though.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep under 50g/day made up from veggies, berries, Greek yoghurt and keto coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast. Plus other odd amounts from occasional HiLo bread, ready made sauces (carefully selected for the lowest carbs), dark chocolate and seeds to make up fibre intake.
I notice you use ready made sauces too. I have carefully selected some for convenience. Some are much higher than others.

Reactions: kitedoc

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice you use ready made sauces too. I have carefully selected some for convenience. Some are much higher than others.

Yes you do need to be careful. I use lemongrass and coconut stir fry sauce and Sharwoods balti curry sauce and creamy peppercorn sauce regularly. I also don’t mop up all the extra sauce left on my plate these days, once the meat and veg has gone!

Reactions: Listlad

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Veryanxious, I am Type 1 and am consuming about 40 to 45 g carbs per day but I am fairly new to this having been on 100g per day.
As an example of foods:: chia. linseed meal, hemp meal, soy milk, seaweed wafers, tabouleh, small amount of humus, Brussel sprouts, broccolini, zucchini, 1 to 2 pieces of 90% Lindt Chocolate , walnuts, tahini and I allow 50% of the grams in my protein intake as carbs. (e.g. eggs, sardines, goat's or buffalo cheese).
I hope that helps!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Just shows you @Rachox, as diabetics we cannot get away with anything ! LOL !!

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am exercising but not nearly enough.

Carbs I eat include a couple of slices of low carb Hovis bread a day, occasional brown or wild rice in low quantities, an occasional jacket potato. Some of the very low carb food I eat includes some fruit, mainly berries, the occasional apple and orange, Greek yoghourt and full fat milk.

It’s easy to miss stuff out though.

To get it in perspective. I am steering clear of an awful lot of carbs though including cereals, pasta, white rice and bread, potatoes in general, cakes biscuits, fruit juice. No added sugar and no sweets or chocolates except 85% stuff.

I don’t think I am as low as Rachox at 50g. Maybe nearer 100 or just over. I haven’t been counting though.
Does brown rice keep your blood sugar in check?
Sometimes I give in and have panipuri. It is made up of wheat flour and deeply fired. It spiked my blood sugar to 148. Walking helps but I thought low carbs would have increased my insulin sensitivity. I just had Pani Puri nothing else.
May be I will have to just stick to seeds and nuts.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does brown rice keep your blood sugar in check?
Sometimes I give in and have panipuri. It is made up of wheat flour and deeply fired. It spiked my blood sugar to 148. Walking helps but I thought low carbs would have increased my insulin sensitivity. I just had Pani Puri nothing else.
May be I will have to just stick to seeds and nuts.
Not as such but it helps keep it a bit lower and also am eating smaller portions.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to keep to under 50g carbs a day, and being ancient and rather decrepit am not particularly active,and don't "exercise" as such.

Carbs I eat include non starchy/above ground vegetables, small quantities of low carb fruits - mainly berries, nuts, seeds, olives, avocados, a little high % dark chocolate, and incidental carbsi in dairy and other foods. I don't believe that I necessarily need any carbs for energy, but I feel that I'm getting essential vitamins and minerals from these foods, and perhaps most importantly , I need to eat a long term and sustainable low carb diet so include some carbs that I enjoy but also won't increase my glucose levels.

Robbity

Reactions: Listlad

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not as such but it helps keep it a bit lower and also am eating smaller portions.

With respect Listlad, how can you possibly know what brown rice or anything else does for your blood sugars when you don't test? Your post is, in my view, at best misleading.

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect Listlad, how can you possibly know what brown rice or anything else does for your blood sugars when you don't test? Your post is, in my view, at best misleading.
Okay, what I should have said is that it is lower in its carb content. Remember I am not ultra low carbing, just reduced carbing.

I might add that my efforts seem to be paying dividends.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, what I should have said is that it is lower in its carb content. Remember I am not ultra low carbing, just reduced carbing.

I might add that my efforts seem to be paying dividends.

That is quite different to saying your bloods are lower. Trust me, not all carbs are equal (same with not all colories are equal). I'm pleased you are experiencing dividends of some sort and I do genuinely hope your blood sugars have improved too, but overly bold statements are dangerous.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much 77% ag 74% still a rubbish food for a T2..
I do not eat much of it though.

Small quantities and infrequently. That’s now. That represents a radical decrease for me since last month and back in time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not eat much of it though.

Small quantities and infrequently. That’s now. That represents a radical decrease for me since last month and back in time.
Does beg the question why bother with it at all... but hey its your body...
Most of us have found that our bodies are pretty colourblind where food is concerned.. brown carbs/white carbs.. still the same old carbs turning to the same old glucose once ingested.

Reactions: Chook

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does beg the question why bother with it at all... but hey its your body...
Most of us have found that our bodies are pretty colourblind where food is concerned.. brown carbs/white carbs.. still the same old carbs turning to the same old glucose once ingested.
Sorry, I am not sure what you are saying there. The amount of carbs I now take in are hugely lower than before. I am simply not ultra low carbing.

I understand why you ultra low carb, I don’t see a need or a desire for me to go that low. I have a lot of respect for your approach, don’t het me wrong. And I may yet follow your lead on that, but carb reduction but not elimination is what I am comfortable with right now.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I am not sure what you are saying there. The amount of carbs I now take in are hugely lower than before. I am simply not ultra low carbing.
What I am saying is that the carbs in brown rice and the carbs in white rice are pretty much equal and not lower as you stated and that they are treated by the body in exactly the same way once eaten. The colour is fairly irrelevant.