What type of carbs do you consume?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I am not sure what you are saying there. The amount of carbs I now take in are hugely lower than before. I am simply not ultra low carbing.

I understand why you ultra low carb, I don’t see a need or a desire for me to go that low. I have a lot of respect for your approach, don’t het me wrong. And I may yet follow your lead on that, but carb reduction but not elimination is what I am comfortable with right now.
After your edit your meaning is clearer..
I'd say the spike you get from the minimal amount of brown rice would be better avoided by not eating any of it at all.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I am saying is that the carbs in brown rice and the carbs in white rice are pretty much equal and not lower as you stated and that they are treated by the body in exactly the same way once eaten. The colour is fairly irrelevant.
Oh I see. The brown rice I eat is 23.5g per 100.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After your edit your meaning is clearer..
I'd say the spike you get from the minimal amount of brown rice would be better avoided by not eating any of it at all.
So you are saying that there is no benefit at all to eating brown rice compared to white rice, whatsoever?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you are saying that there is no benefit at all to eating brown rice compared to white rice, whatsoever?

I'd of course say there is no benefit to eating rice.. full stop.. colour is irrelevant.
It provides little to no nutrition, tastes of nothing and will probably give you a blood sugar spike.. so........

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And how much are you eating of that?

No more than 250 grams of rice per week.

So that is 59 grams of brown rice carbs per week split into two portions.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys, since this thread was started by @Veryanxious asking

I have been reading post from various people that they can tolerate carbs upto 100gm a day. What carbs do you consume apart from non starchy vegetables?
Do you exercise to consume those carbs? I am also curious to know if for low carb has increased anyone's carb tolerance?

Could we take the brown rice v white rice and not counting and not testing debate to another thread?

The first question was for people who actually carb count on a daily basis, so @Listlad your comments have been off topic.
And the second question was for those who have experienced changes in their carb tolerance.

Further comments that do not address these, will be deleted.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have tried white (Basmati) rice, wholemeal rice and rice cooked using the Resistant Starch method, in all portion sizes. Not once did I get a reasonable reading, suffice to say I gave up on it altogether.
With bread it was a different story, I switched to low carb bread (first having Lidl rolls then when they became unavailable I had Burgen) then I just lost the taste for it and gave up all bread. Potato was the easiest to give up, similarly pasta as I have always found them to be a bland 'filler'.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi Guys, since this thread was started by @Veryanxious asking

Could we take the brown rice v white rice and not counting and not testing debate to another thread?

The first question was for people who actually carb count on a daily basis, so @Listlad your comments have been off topic.
And the second question was for those who have experienced changes in their carb tolerance.

Further comments that do not address these, will be deleted.

Sorry lass, I was typing whilst you were posting. Please delete my comment if you wish.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry lass, I was typing whilst you were posting. Please delete my comment if you wish.

No worries, simultaneous posting is bound to happen, and you DID answer the OP by talking about how your tolerance hasn't improved. :)

Reactions: Guzzler

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Does brown rice keep your blood sugar in check?
Sometimes I give in and have panipuri. It is made up of wheat flour and deeply fired. It spiked my blood sugar to 148. Walking helps but I thought low carbs would have increased my insulin sensitivity. I just had Pani Puri nothing else.
May be I will have to just stick to seeds and nuts.
If you have to have pani puri try eating it with some fried chicken, or paneer, anything high protein/ fat. Having something with it would also help you to eat less of the bread.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat more carbs these days without getting high glucose, it just goes straight to my fat store and is rather obvious when I next step onto the scales.