What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.1
No idea why it's there.
But a couple of strategies and it's now 6.5....

I am trying to find my father-in-law at the time of the 1921 census.
I liked him but his wife didn't, any love between them had scarpered aeons ago.
He'd say to her I am just taking G out to see whatever, and his wife would turn to me and say, you're driving, and make sure it's only one pint. And you're on orange juice. Just one pint for him. Yes I would say, knowing he'd be legless when we returned.
He would point out place of interest as we drove around Swansea, and took me to the house he was born in - this was 1974. It was derelict then, bare brick, blackened inside, water running down the walls. It was 4 rooms, with one of those being the kitchen. 2 rooms upstairs 2 downstairs. We did go inside, no doors or windows remained. He seemed proud to show me that was the house he was born in. And that stuck in my mind.

I also met his brothers and sisters and more who still lived in the same street (many of the original houses remained and still do today) or adjoining streets. And had lived there all their lives, something I cannot envisage doing.

So, it was interesting finding them on the censuses on Ancestry.

One thing I cannot find is my father-in-law on the 1921 census.

Nor can I find any trace of his five younger sisters, the youngest two were twins. All I can find on the 1921 census is his mother and father and his eight older brothers and sisters. All of them were out of work they had all been laid off.

This is why I paid for a three month subscription with Findmypast because that's the only way you can reasonably access as many 1921 records as you need to. I am one month into this subscription and I also want to investigate my side of the family and I have spent so much time on this, but I have to stop today on this bit of research.

I knew they couldn't have died, because otherwise my father-in-law would not have been around. Then the 1939 census came out. I was able to check and find all of them bar one and it is hard to check women because they marry and change their names. But I struck lucky because one of the twins had triplets and the granddaughter had posted loads of stuff online. Her site was a mine of information.

I have gone through hundreds of 1921 censuses, in case a family member was looking after the 6 children. I have gone through every census in that very long street house by house. You can go along the film strip and look at them all and no neighbour was looking after them. Then I went around the surrounding streets but no one round there was looking after these six children. I have been through all poor law, union records, asylum records, and I cannot find them. I have even checked the whole of the UK, and no trace of them. I don't admit defeat, but I think this one has defeated me.

Today I do not want to look at one more 1921 census....but I did find a lot of interesting facts in all that research....

Just give me a week's break from this....

Wildlife nighttime cameras
Badgers & Foxes
1min

Creative...
Finally the sun has reached the ground in my garden. And so I did a sun salutation this morning. No, not one of those fancy yoga pose ones, I wouldn't get back off the ground...no, a very simple one I adapted for me...

I need a nap and that sun had better stay out...

Ah, so my creative drawing is sun through the trees...

Have your best day.

IMG_6476.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fbg 7.1
No idea why it's there.

He'd say to her I am just taking G out to see whatever, and his wife would turn to me and say, you're driving, and make sure it's only one pint. And you're on orange juice. Just one pint for him. Yes I would say, knowing he'd be legless when we returned.
He would point out place of interest as we drove around Swansea, and took me to the house he was born in - this was 1974. It was derelict then, bare brick, blackened inside, water running down the walls. It was 4 rooms, with one of those being the kitchen. 2 rooms upstairs 2 downstairs. We did go inside, no doors or windows remained. He seemed proud to show me that was the house he was born in. And that stuck in my mind.

I also met his brothers and sisters and more who still lived in the same street (many of the original houses remained and still do today) or adjoining streets. And had lived there all their lives, something I cannot envisage doing.

Nor can I find any trace of his five younger sisters, the youngest two were twins. All I can find on the 1921 census is his mother and father and his eight older brothers and sisters. All of them were out of work they had all been laid off.

This is why I paid for a three month subscription with Findmypast because that's the only way you can reasonably access as many 1921 records as you need to. I am one month into this subscription and I also want to investigate my side of the family and I have spent so much time on this, but I have to stop today on this bit of research.

I knew they couldn't have died, because otherwise my father-in-law would not have been around. Then the 1939 census came out. I was able to check and find all of them bar one and it is hard to check women because they marry and change their names. But I struck lucky because one of the twins had triplets and the granddaughter had posted loads of stuff online. Her site was a mine of information.

I have gone through hundreds of 1921 censuses, in case a family member was looking after the 6 children. I have gone through every census in that very long street house by house. You can go along the film strip and look at them all and no neighbour was looking after them. Then I went around the surrounding streets but no one round there was looking after these six children. I have been through all poor law, union records, asylum records, and I cannot find them. I have even checked the whole of the UK, and no trace of them. I don't admit defeat, but I think this one has defeated me.

Today I do not want to look at one more 1921 census....but I did find a lot of interesting facts in all that research....

Badgers & Foxes
1min

Creative...
Finally the sun has reached the ground in my garden. And so I did a sun salutation this morning. No, not one of those fancy yoga pose ones, I wouldn't get back off the ground...no, a very simple one I adapted for me...

Have your best day.

View attachment 66807
Searching for someone on some of these sites can be very frustrating sometimes and you need to take time off once in a while to regroup. I have had some problems with both the Find My Past site and the Family Search site. FMP managed to delete a whole group of records that I had chased up - even deleted me from my own tree and I, foolishly had relied upon the site to keep everything on record - didn't keep an independent note so putting it all back together is still proving problematic. Similar thing happened with the Family Search site, but there, someone has altered my tree and put the wrong brother and his wife in instead of the one I had there who are my ancestors. Only one generation wrong but that means I've lost all the records of the wife's ancestors as well. Very frustrating. Gave up in disgust a couple of days ago and need to take a rest from it all.

Lovely early morning creative.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Searching for someone on some of these sites can be very frustrating sometimes and you need to take time off once in a while to regroup. I have had some problems with both the Find My Past site and the Family Search site. FMP managed to delete a whole group of records that I had chased up - even deleted me from my own tree and I, foolishly had relied upon the site to keep everything on record - didn't keep an independent note so putting it all back together is still proving problematic. Similar thing happened with the Family Search site, but there, someone has altered my tree and put the wrong brother and his wife in instead of the one I had there who are my ancestors. Only one generation wrong but that means I've lost all the records of the wife's ancestors as well. Very frustrating. Gave up in disgust a couple of days ago and need to take a rest from it all.

Lovely early morning creative.
Thanks for the painting compliment @Annb

I gave up with Family search for that same reason.

I had some problems with FMP as well where I was sure I had done the research and added the records...then next time I looked...where were they?

I have now started downloading the files I can, clearer to read than taking screenshots, and I save them as PDF's and other bits I save as screenshots, also to make into PDF's, and back up to the cloud...I only have a tablet, a small iPad mini, so this was the only readable back up thing I can easily do on this. It is a bit time consuming...

I hope you get all the stuff back together....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 7.1
No idea why it's there.

Badgers & Foxes
1min

Creative...

Have your best day.

View attachment 66807
Thank you for sharing the creative which seems far more optimistic than the frustration over your father in law's ancestry search would lead one to expect. Sunnier weather seems to have that effect on people. Could there be something in the linking of something spiritual - however understood - with light and, if I understand basic science, life? Perhaps Albert was on to something.
everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe—a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. Letter of 24 January 1936 to a schoolgirl, Phyllis Wright.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
6.8 this sunny morning but cloudy afternoon.

A busy morning, but I can now relax a little.
Doctors tomorrow, so I will be late on parade tomorrow.
Did get twenty minutes in the garden and more daffs, violet flowers, and the blue bell flowering shoots are starting to push through. Grass needs a mow, still wet. As it did rain overnight.

My best wishes to you all as always!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The worst one was looking forward to visiting an exhibition of exotic Japanese art at the British Museum. I had misread exotic for erotic. I very quickly realised my mistake and made a quick exit.
Isn't the internet wonderful,

Recently I've read about ...
Japanese snipers
Japanese hippies
And Japanese....
Screenshot_2024-03-19-13-36-29-642-edit_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, staff football team right there. This image and selected details should make identification much easier.

1710857488962.png

Belker often growls and sometimes bites suspects (usually after they have attacked him first) ..... sometimes severing extremities in the process. He doesn't actually eat anything he bites off, however. :D

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a sullen skied, very much not bright and much too breezy for me Little America. @alf_Josiah I'm sure your bs levels will rise and a safe journey will ensue. @dunelm thanks for the art and hugs for Crampy McCrampface - better hydration needed perhaps? @Annb thanks for the new word which seems a perfect fit for one who can't find a loan just now. How sad :D In exchange have the word Schlocky which, for me, exemplifies where we're at just now as a nation. I hope the solicitors visit goes well, especially access. I love that sign above your desk. @Krystyna23040 you continually find excellent diary secretaries and carelessly let them go - can you keep this one? I have no creatives but here are two keto HC bun recipes if y'all are interested. #1 #2 . Today marks four years since JKP decided we needed 2 dogs again but Bill and Ben are none the wiser so no party needed - they were actually born Jan 1st. As the man said - bears repeating frequently. Drat. Now I've gotten the theme tune as an ear worm for the day and I'm fitting posters here to the cast. Belker is a shoe in :D Pizza Man is much harder.
Thank you @ianpspurs.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for sharing the creative which seems far more optimistic than the frustration over your father in law's ancestry search would lead one to expect. Sunnier weather seems to have that effect on people. Could there be something in the linking of something spiritual - however understood - with light and, if I understand basic science, life? Perhaps Albert was on to something.
everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe—a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. Letter of 24 January 1936 to a schoolgirl, Phyllis Wright.
Thank you @ianpspurs
A different strategy is needed.
I have done the hard slog strategy.
I'll have to ask the universe when I fall asleep tonight...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. Off to classes shortly. It's Poppy's meet and greet day at my morning classes in a local village.

She is such a clever dog. When I realised they were going to stop putting lids on pots of cream I saved some of the lids.

Yesterday I dropped a lid somewhere in the kitchen but couldn't find it. I went Into the lounge and told Mr K that I couldn't find it. Poppy immediately rushed into the kitchen and came back out and presented me with the lid.

Surely she couldn't have underfoot what I had said.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Raining today..

Wildlife nighttime video
Cats and Badger
48secs

Creative. Sketch of some people hanging about on the pavement...

The mess on the swing this morning...
Looks like the badger was trying to pull the cloths off the swing again....

Time for a nap and a cuppa...

Have your best day...

IMG_6485.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 7.1
No idea why it's there.

Badgers & Foxes
1min

Creative...

Have your best day.

View attachment 66807
Smashing creative

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
8.9 at 03:45. That was another of these yo-yo occasions. Low readings all day, very low in the evening so corrected with 3 biscuits to stop the drop. 4 hours later it had gone up to 13.9. I went to bed and left it alone, hoping it would drop during the night. It did, but not as far as I would have liked, but then, it was a short night - 11:45 to 03:35. That's quite a long time in bed for me.

The way I've been feeling the last few days seems to have passed now. Pretty sure it was a reaction to something I've been eating. Fairly sure that it was saurkraut which I used to make a big pot of Polish bigos. I had a similar reaction a week or so ago when I made a pot of the same thing with meat - this time I was trying a suggestion that I had seen to make it all vegetable. Usually I make something similar and tell myself it is bigos but never actually use saurkraut in it. I wasn't very well then, but didn't link it to the food at the time. I also had a similar reaction, although not so marked, when I tried komboucha. Must be the fermentation process that does it. Neil tells me he had the same reaction when he tried the saurkraut. Ah well. You win some, you lose some. Back to "auld claes an' parrich". Stop trying these exotic things and stick with what I know.

BG went up to 9.2 after breakfast today (just cold chicken) which I didn't expect (so didn't dose for it) but have just taken a small amount of insulin to get it back on track. Already down to 8.2 so that should be OK but I'll need to keep my eye on it.

Saw the solicitor yesterday (awful precarious temporary ramp to get in) but my plan won't work and I have to rethink it. Neil wasn't surprised and I noted the little fleeting expression on his face that said "I told you so". He hadn't - he'd just pursed his lips and said nothing when I mooted my idea but I knew he was disapproving. Back to the drawing board.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a damp squib of a late start here in the dark and dangerous north. No reading today as it’s late and also pre bin day and also I can’t be bothered as I am a person of Whim (small town in Western Australia). Busy busy yesterday and as the sun was shining for the second day in a row, the grass got a trim - second highest setting on the mower - nothing too bowling green thank you. I did the back and Mrs Miggins the front - lawn that is - we are not hairdressers nor barbers - stand under a fig tree in Seville for that, or Fleet Street according to rumour control. Art bit - quit a large lump of paper so quite a large Chinese brush - and quite a bit of water. Hope your day trundles along without fault - I need a late koffy and then to sort out the washing.

1710926204736.jpeg

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from California!
Happy Humpday!
Wednesday morning 4.88 mmol/L 88 mg/dL. Seems like I am back on track. Once FBG is up, it takes days to come down. My A1c is in the non diabetic range and I don't take any medication. Have a nice day everyone.