What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a sullen skied, wet L.A. @dunelm thank you for sharing the art. Hug for the tiredness from yesterday's walking. @gennepher thank you for sharing the wonderful kaleidoscope. If anyone can devise a plan to thwart that Magpie you can. @Krystyna23040 good plan for #treatgate. @JohnEGreen nice fbg shame about the weather. Enjoy Saturday and have a chilled out song. and lyrics.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a thunder during the night start here in France. Bit tired this morning - must have been the bridge too far 7 mile wander yesterday. Anyhow, it’s market day today so hope the rain holds off for a while to give the stall holders a fighting chance of making a crust. Art bit, some trees seen yesterday. Hope your Saturday holds you safe. I am late for my koffy this morning.
Interesting tree shapes @dunelm
I like them

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 this morning.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my. naughty treats post (predictive text wanted to insert magpie instead of treats).

Your comments really helped me devise a plan
of action. I realised that the biggest danger was that they become a habit so I will reserve them for special occasions only. So on our little holiday at the end of May I will have a desert with my meal at the hotel.

In the meantime I will stick to the low carb treats and take my Montazumas 100% and pecans on our trips out to NT parkland or have berries and Greek yoghurt when at home.
A brilliant plan @Krystyna23040

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fbg 6.9

Nighttime wildlife camera
Cat Midnight objects to someone, then Cat Jade is on Badger alert
52secs

Creative...using the Honesty photo of yesterday, I made 2 kaleidoscopes, and then I superimposed them.

The dog barking alarms work to deter the magpie. I do realise the magpie needs food for his babies, and so I put some cat food on a bird table for him, and some in another location, but the magpie didn't want the food in those two locations, but wanted what was in Jade's food dish under the swing. I am now giving Jade her food in a tight spot under the bushes and removing it the moment she finishes. I too would like to be out there without a magpie hovering somewhere above my head waiting to swoop. The sparrows and blackbirds are all feeding their young at the moment, and they are not happy with a magpie lurking...the magpie has some easily accessible food I have put in another location in my garden where there are no other baby birds in that vicinity...

My strategy last year for preventing the Sparrowhawk from swoop diving and taking the small birds at the bird feeders worked. I had cut a buddleia down, and had put the cut down budlieia between the trees in my garden, thus preventing the Sparrowhawk doing his swoop through. The Sparrowhawk came in from only one direction. I suppose it was the only vantage point for him for my bird feeders. Finally I didn't have to watch my poor little sparrows being picked off any more...

Time for a cuppa.

Have your best day...

View attachment 67359
Wow! Winner indeed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone from a thunder during the night start here in France. Bit tired this morning - must have been the bridge too far 7 mile wander yesterday. Anyhow, it’s market day today so hope the rain holds off for a while to give the stall holders a fighting chance of making a crust. Art bit, some trees seen yesterday. Hope your Saturday holds you safe. I am late for my koffy this morning.
I like the treatment of these trees @dunelm.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
7.63 at 05.30. Not great but acceptable. Up to 8.4 before breakfast. Even with what I thought was a correct amount of insulin, it carried on up and now, 4 hours later, it is at 9.1. Breakfast was only a cheese omelette so it shouldn't have carried on up. But what do I know?

Diabetes clinic at the hospital has agreed to transfer me back to the GP clinic. I didn't think they'd want to keep me on. One less customer for them to bother with - not that they did anyway. BG is reasonable and so is BP now, but I'm still feeling weak and light headed. Maybe that blood test will come up with an answer.

Got carried away with some more family history stuff yesterday and found the solution a a puzzle that had been bothering me. It turns out that in one line of my grandmother's family there was a lot of cousins marrying cousins (2nd and 3rd variety) and it was all a bit like a ball of string played with by a cat. I think I've got it now. It seems that, not only do we have a connection with King Cnute but also with Henry II and, therefore, of course with William I. On my grandfather's side, we can go back to Harald Godwinsson. That's where our 2 families tie up - grandma's side with Cnute, and William, grandpa's side with Harald. All back in the 9-1000's. Not spectacular; as Neil asserts, that's not even unusual, but it is interesting. I think so anyway.

Having to sit around quite a lot these last few days - up and do something like housework for 2 minutes, rest for 5, do a bit more and rest again. More minutes resting than doing unfortunately (about 2:5 each time). But needs must.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
FBG 4.7
Yesterday made shortbread for the French conversation group. I remembered the quantities and ingredients. But possibly a decade since I made any and of course something went wrong.
It wouldn't come together as a dough so, being short of time, in the end I tipped the dry, floury mixture into the tin and pressed it together with my fingers. Halfway through cooking took it out and pressed it together again with a fork. Somehow it cooked and came out of the tin in slices, tasted ok, but texture was wrong. Checked recipe and had used rubbing in method when should have been creaming.
Later: made the nut granola previously mentioned and then coming over all Masterchef I made a second batch of shortbread using the exact same quantities and ingredients, but this time the correct (creaming) method. The difference was noticeable. Actually that was problematic because it was so delicious I ate several generous pieces. Along with several glasses of wine.
I can only assume the FBG number is my body compensating for overdoing it the night before.
Dry start but raining now. Coffee break over. Only coffee today. Maybe the granola helped, although more likely guilt about overindulgence yesterday played a part. Plus there is very little shortbread left and MrSlim has only had one piece!!!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 4.7
Yesterday made shortbread for the French conversation group. I remembered the quantities and ingredients. But possibly a decade since I made any and of course something went wrong.
It wouldn't come together as a dough so, being short of time, in the end I tipped the dry, floury mixture into the tin and pressed it together with my fingers. Halfway through cooking took it out and pressed it together again with a fork. Somehow it cooked and came out of the tin in slices, tasted ok, but texture was wrong. Checked recipe and had used rubbing in method when should have been creaming.
Later: made the nut granola previously mentioned and then coming over all Masterchef I made a second batch of shortbread using the exact same quantities and ingredients, but this time the correct (creaming) method. The difference was noticeable. Actually that was problematic because it was so delicious I ate several generous pieces. Along with several glasses of wine.
I can only assume the FBG number is my body compensating for overdoing it the night before.
Dry start but raining now. Coffee break over. Only coffee today. Maybe the granola helped, although more likely guilt about overindulgence yesterday played a part. Plus there is very little shortbread left and MrSlim has only had one piece!!!
I always make shortbread using the rubbing in method and it always turns out well. Actually, I've never seen a creaming method for making shortbread. Interesting. Are the quantities the same in both recipes? My most successful version was using about 1/4 wholemeal to plain flour and vanilla paste. Everyone wants more of it, but no baking at the moment while the kitchen is almost unusable.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
7.63 at 05.30. Not great but acceptable. Up to 8.4 before breakfast. Even with what I thought was a correct amount of insulin, it carried on up and now, 4 hours later, it is at 9.1. Breakfast was only a cheese omelette so it shouldn't have carried on up. But what do I know?

Diabetes clinic at the hospital has agreed to transfer me back to the GP clinic. I didn't think they'd want to keep me on. One less customer for them to bother with - not that they did anyway. BG is reasonable and so is BP now, but I'm still feeling weak and light headed. Maybe that blood test will come up with an answer.

Got carried away with some more family history stuff yesterday and found the solution a a puzzle that had been bothering me. It turns out that in one line of my grandmother's family there was a lot of cousins marrying cousins (2nd and 3rd variety) and it was all a bit like a ball of string played with by a cat. I think I've got it now. It seems that, not only do we have a connection with King Cnute but also with Henry II and, therefore, of course with William I. On my grandfather's side, we can go back to Harald Godwinsson. That's where our 2 families tie up - grandma's side with Cnute, and William, grandpa's side with Harald. All back in the 9-1000's. Not spectacular; as Neil asserts, that's not even unusual, but it is interesting. I think so anyway.

Having to sit around quite a lot these last few days - up and do something like housework for 2 minutes, rest for 5, do a bit more and rest again. More minutes resting than doing unfortunately (about 2:5 each time). But needs must.

We must definitely be distantly related then as they are all in my family tree.
Talking family trees one of my dna matches in ansestry DNA had in there tree a guy who was born on the island of Wyre in the Orkney islands looking it up it presently has a population of 5 very small island indead.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We must definitely be distantly related then as they are all in my family tree.
Talking family trees one of my dna matches in ansestry DNA had in there tree a guy who was born on the island of Wyre in the Orkney islands looking it up it presently has a population of 5 very small island indead.
Hi there Coz! I imagine all five were closely related then and that their common ancestor is also yours. Never managed to afford to get my DNA tested, although I would love to one day - when the demands on my purse ease off a bit.

It brings back to me a story of my husband's niece who was going through a hard time at school (much because of her own misunderstood personality) and was being chastised by a teacher. She retorted with, "what am I supposed to do - my grandmother is an Islander, her mother was Danish, her mother was a native American, my cousin is a Sally Army officer, my uncle is a Baha'i, my Dad is catholic, my Mum is protestant. Why shouldn't I be mixed up?" Happily, she found her way in the world, married a fireman and moved to Australia. Actually, a bit of mixed breeding, in people as in animals, does no harm at all.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all from a sullen skied, wet L.A. @dunelm thank you for sharing the art. Hug for the tiredness from yesterday's walking. @gennepher thank you for sharing the wonderful kaleidoscope. If anyone can devise a plan to thwart that Magpie you can. @Krystyna23040 good plan for #treatgate. @JohnEGreen nice fbg shame about the weather. Enjoy Saturday and have a chilled out song. and lyrics.
Thanks Ian
And for lyrics with the song...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hugs for the amount of resting needed to enable tasks to be done. It does mean things take a very long time to achieve them @Annb but they are getting done.

I have been solidly deeply asleep for 4 hours since I got back from fresh food shopping this morning. It is a heck of an effort for me to do, and in between shops, as you know now, I have a flask of tea in the car and rest with the cup of tea before I go into the next shop, and I draw the people I see. I am not complaining, but to enable me to do this, I am wiped out the rest of the day, however I can stay in for the next couple of days and that's easier when doing things at home, but not much cleaning gets done. I do have some food delivered, but a lot of food I need to check closely on the ingredients because of things that upset my system, and a lot of stuff doesn't give you all the ingredients online.

Take care, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
6.8 this final footie farce freedom of the field day.

Cold, it's the three degrees out there!

it maybe winter outside.
but in my heart,
it should be spring.

#8 had me running around again with a ball on the footie pitches this afternoon other than that and a bit of a kerfuffle with Mrs L it has been a reasonably ok day.
An accident or three this morning , so another clean up and washing, not scheduled, before Saturday shopping for fresh stuff.

Have a nice evening. Enjoy the weekend.

My best wishes to you lot as per.
Artwork different and one of the instances that my mother had an inkling that I was lactose intolerant other than the butter and the milk, was the vomiting after biting a piece of shortbread, this was at three years of age.
And it tasted vile as well.
So does almost all of the dairy products, I can't put near my gob.
The only one is full fat Greek yogurt with some berries in.
But only a few teaspoons.

Evening all!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I always make shortbread using the rubbing in method and it always turns out well. Actually, I've never seen a creaming method for making shortbread. Interesting. Are the quantities the same in both recipes? My most successful version was using about 1/4 wholemeal to plain flour and vanilla paste. Everyone wants more of it, but no baking at the moment while the kitchen is almost unusable.
6oz plain flour
4oz butter
2oz sugar
Is this the same?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
6oz plain flour
4oz butter
2oz sugar
Is this the same?
Not quite the same. I use a food processor these days (hands don't work too well) and as soon as the mix looks like breadcrumbs I turn it onto a board and squeeze it together. Into the fridge, wrapped in cling film, for 20 minutes then roll out and cut into shapes. Onto a baking sheet covered in baking parchment. Back into the fridge for another 20 minutes while the oven is heating and then bake on a fairly low heat until they are slightly tinged with golden edges. The firm up once cooled and are hard to resist. I always make them to order so that I won't be tempted.

16ozchilled unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
16ozplain flour, plus extra for the board - or mixture of plain white and wholemeal.
8ozcaster sugar, plus extra for dusting
pinchsalt
1 tspvanilla paste