What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this info. I take (my only) metformin when I get up and very rarely have breakfast now - could explain that there is very little difference to my numbers when I forget to take it (when on holiday). I will try & change my habit and have it with my evening meal. Forgot about the instructions on the packet as I have changed my way of eating and diet. They never tell you why though!
No " they " don't tell u much its a case of learning as u go it doesn't really matter when u have " breakfast " just take with meals . I'm not sure it does much for BG I find exercise does more ...but have been very lazy in that area lately .

dotty-p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No " they " don't tell u much its a case of learning as u go it doesn't really matter when u have " breakfast " just take with meals . I'm not sure it does much for BG I find exercise does more ...but have been very lazy in that area lately .
I always find that a walk - even just a short walk around the block really helps. I always try and do that after a meal and especially if I have eaten carbs - it is getting much more difficult to motivate myself though now the weather has changed and the clocks having gone back will make it even less appealing!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reading a bit higher this morning
10.3 mmol.
Was awake most of the night with hot flushes, sweating,and a stuffy blocked nose, ( dry nose, not producing mucus).
Feeling better since awakening and nose not blocked and sweating stopped too now.
Hope you continue to feel better. Gentle hug to you.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.1 again, dropped the .1 added yesterday, so that's 5 days in a row! Cat didn't know the clocks went backwards, so sat on my hear at 3.15 GMT. I was awake for 4 hours, but gave in and went back to bed at 7.30. Woke up at 11.30, which, if I'd slept through would have been 7,30, or 8.30 BST...Everyone with me?:wacky::banghead:

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take (my only) metformin when I get up and very rarely have breakfast now - could explain that there is very little difference to my numbers when I forget to take it!
I was told to take my Metformin (one a day, slow release version) with my 'main meal'. Which in my case is usually dinner in the evening. Supposedly so that it avoids the ghastly gastric side effects and also so it actually does its job - it interferes with sugar storage mechanisms, and it can't work on an empty stomach. I just have to remember to take the tablet at supper. Thats only a problem if I go out for an evening meal....

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Todays FBG was 5.4 on the fidgety digit, and 6.3 on Libre. Went for my morning swim, which had the usual predictable upward effect on the BG. The spike from the swim is always bigger than my brunch afterwards, its really obvious on the Libre. Still, it didn't stop me from enjoying either, have a good Sunday all and enjoy the extra hour if you're in the UK.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really struggling with blood sugars. Been away for a few days
Wed 8.9
Thurs 8.8
Fri 8.0
Sat 7.9
Sun 8.5

I'm having my 2nd cataract op tomorrow so will leave it a few days and hope things settle down. It is not carb related unless I have to go zero carbs. Do others have to go lower and lower carbs over the years? A few years ago I was getting HbA1c's in the 30's with about 100 carbs a day, I've now cut that down but readings just go up and up

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this info. I take (my only) metformin when I get up and very rarely have breakfast now - could explain that there is very little difference to my numbers when I forget to take it (when on holiday). I will try & change my habit and have it with my evening meal. Forgot about the instructions on the packet as I have changed my way of eating and diet.
Sounds like a plan. If you're managing on one tablet daily, it makes sense to take it with your main meal.

I'm a metformin user. Please bear in mind that metformin doesn't work on a meal-to-meal basis. It's therapeutic effects are cumulative. Whilst it may start to lower your BG levels during the first week of treatment, it takes 2 to 3 months to reach maximum effectiveness.

For the same reason, if you've taken metformin for several months, forgeting a dose is unlikely to affect your BG levels unduly. The medication you've already swallowed will continue circulating for at least 4 days.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really struggling with blood sugars. Been away for a few days
Wed 8.9
Thurs 8.8
Fri 8.0
Sat 7.9
Sun 8.5

I'm having my 2nd cataract op tomorrow so will leave it a few days and hope things settle down. It is not carb related unless I have to go zero carbs. Do others have to go lower and lower carbs over the years? A few years ago I was getting HbA1c's in the 30's with about 100 carbs a day, I've now cut that down but readings just go up and up
Well, you're another year older it's true. When diet and exercise is insufficient to control blood glucose levels, some of us need a helping hand.

Is your annual review due shortly? I hope your blood glucose readings settle down after your cataract operation but, if not, I'd seek a medical view.

Whether your experience is typical is hard to say. Type 2 diabetes is a very individual disorder and we're all different.