What your Urine says about you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on two diuretics (both potassium sparing) for my kidneys and previous ankle/leg swelling. Maybe they are making me thirsty. Awfully fatigued too and have hypersomnia.

Am I right that you have recently reduced your carb intake?
That can make quite a difference.

For me, going VLC led to dropping fluid retention, and suddenly finding liquids would go 'straight through' leaving me thirsty again quite quickly. If any of that is happening with you, you may need to get your HCP to adjust/reduce your diuretics.

Has anyone checked your potassium lately? If you are on diuretics that spare it I thought they were supposed to check regularly. But mine has never been checked.

I was on Spironolactone for a while (also potassium sparing) but no longer take it except in heavy hot weather, which is the only time my ankles swell nowadays. I would have told the consultant, but I only see them once a year...

Strictly speaking, I was put on Spiro for a PCOS reason, and it didn't work, but they kept me on it when I rhapsodised about being able to see my ankle bones! :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a beetroot lover I can definitely say it effects the colour of your pee :D

Try green aspargus! According to that chart, you could have a rare genetic disease.

From now on, I shall eat only white asparagus !!

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Ta Brunneria, I also take Spironolactone 100mg and Ramipril 5mg and get kidney/potassium checks. Overdue next one, was due at Xmas. I have reduced my carb intake quite a lot and my bowels took time to adjust, maybe you're right and the diet change is the cause.

C

chris lowe

Ta Brunneria, I also take Spironolactone 100mg and Ramipril 5mg and get kidney/potassium checks. Overdue next one, was due at Xmas. I have reduced my carb intake quite a lot and my bowels took time to adjust, maybe you're right and the diet change is the cause.
Could also be the weather, when it's cold and the heating is on I get really thirsty as the heating dries the air out despite the humidifiers hanging on the radiators.