Whats in your kitchen ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
About twenty dirty dishes (that's all of them), and I live alone. A piece of absolutely wonderful French cheese. So soft you have to eat it with a spoon, it has a light orange crust and I can smell it in my whole house. I love it, but I think it's a good thing I live alone!

D

Diabeticliberty

A moth. I asked what the hell he was doing in my kitchen? He replied, sorry but I was flying past and the light was on :p

D

Diabeticliberty

I have some Colorado Reaper chilli's which quite frankly keeps burglars, double glazing salesmen and representatives of some of the more unusual religious orders away from my man cave. If you have ever cooked with these bad boys you will fully understand what I mean

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A red kitten, trying to steal my food before I've had a chance to prepare or even thaw it. I guess it's just concerned about the carbs I might eat (pizza-night). (I call it an experiment: trying to get the insulin-to-pizza-ratio right. Sounds a lot better than getting off-track, doesn't it? It's a learning thing, this insulin business! Although I'm fairly sure the main thing I'll learn is that I shouldn't eat pizza. Cat is right)

edit: Added a lot of cheese to the pizza (and onions and garlic), so I got the HF part right!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha i can assure you im fully trained
Ah wait, it's only Dutch goats saying mèèèèè`. UK goats say baaaa! You were referring to yourself. Makes a lot more sense in your kitchen :p
And laundry and leftover brussels sprouts.

Reactions: karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just made leek/cheese soup for tonight. It sits in my kitchen and waits until I'm hungry.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do so want that recipe...

hoping....
Onion, oyster mushrooms or other mushrooms or no mushrooms if you don't like them, garlic, alwais a lot of garlic, optionally minced meat, bit of red hot pepper if you like it spicy, in a bit of butter/fat/oil until meat is brown. Rings of leek. Wait until everything is almost soft enough. Strongish tasting cheese spread, about three times as much as you think. Grated cheese (I use gouda, but I live in the Netherlands. I guess somewhat mature cheddar works fine as well). If you like it more creamy, add cheap cream cheese or double cream. Add water until you have a thick soup or a thin stew. Possibly add (half) a stock cube, I like to use mushroom stock cubes. Oh, and when I do the mushrooms, I always add a few drops of Thai fish sauce, makes them more interesting. Not nessecary though. Bit of fresh herbs and black pepper, spring onions on top makes it look and taste even better.
Easy, fast, filling, cheap, lots of healthy greens, low carb and really yummy!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderfully and completely unique! A few non American unknown ingredients, though, including "cheese spread", but we do have plenty of Gouda in the markets. Most stock cubes in the US, even imported ones, have evil ingredients, so I am assuming I could use broths I make?, and we have cream cheese, Neufchatel or Philadelphia Cream Cheese, but we do not have "double cream" nor mushroom stock cubes but we do have our own native and cultivated cremeni and button mushroom and local oyster mushrooms farmed on oak logs not to mention many Oriental markets with fresh and dried mushrooms and I keep a stock of dried porcini on hand, often from Bulgaria. Will try making this but is fish sauce a necessary addition?
Fish sauce absolutely unnecessary! The idea is to make your soup taste really cheesy ( ;) ) , so cheeses like philadelphia (white cream-cheese, right?) are perfect to make the soup creamy, but not really for the cheese taste. On the other hand, I wouldn't say no to leek/cream-cheese soup, must be tasty as well! I would go for medium to high sharpish cheeses. I suppose my cheap-ass stock cubes have all sorts of evil ingredients, but it's my go to lazy, cheap and tasty dinner. Something definitely goes amiss with the 'lazy' part when I have to make broth first :p
Your soup will probably be completely different from mine (but mine is very different ever time I make it), but nothing much you can do wrong with this soup, so eet smakelijk!

And on topic: About 20 kilo's live oysters I have to open tomorrow to practice my oyster opening skills. Anyone with ideas what to do with them? I need a recipe for oysters which can be frozen...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can freeze oysters right after you have cleaned and opened them in their own juice but they will never taste right. This is for an overabundance which you are going to dump them raw into already heated something or another else.

Your best bet is to clean them and then smoke them along with clams and other things yu have caught. You can then put them up in jars in oil and enjoy them whenever.

Slightly better taste you let them spit their sand and dirt into water in a bucket after you have scrubbed them so they will be clean, and then freeze them in their shells. Do the same thing with any shellfish. I used to find them with my toes with my girlfriend Marla in a mud bed off Lynnhaven, Virginia in my youth but now I notice that the mudbud is owned and a nearby restaurant is famous for those kind of oysters. Also would go with our nets crabbing for native blue crabs in a nearby location. Here is someone having similar experiences

https://www.inahalfshell.com/virginia-lynnhaven/

Now they are being farmed

http://www.lynnhavenoystercompany.com/lynnhaven-oyster/

As for opening those oysters, I bet the Youtube will have some videos
Thanks! They have already watered, and I don't really fancy them raw. I'll eat a couple whilst shelling, but I would like to make some sort of warm winter stew with them, someting with bacon and onions or something like that. I can't seem to find any recipes though. I'm sure they exist, from times oysters were poor man's food, I just don't know where to look. I'll shell them tomorrow and they'll keep for another day in the fridge, but I think I need to do something with them on friday at the latest. Can you tell me how you smoke them? Sounds interesting!

And freshly made carb-free cheese-crisps. Will move from kitchen to belly very shortly, though.