What's up with the "low-carb is bad" hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am skinny I was diagnosed with a BG reading of 29.something I have lowered .my carbs and increased my fat intake I eat lots of nuts ,butter on .my veg avocados ,full fat yoghurt, cream. I have not lost any more weight than I had at diagnosis but my BG s are still a little higher than I would like it to be at about 7-8 but I am healthy and I eat to my meter
CAROL

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid, you quite often try to give the point of view of those who don't follow LCHF. Don't you think
Yes I do because anyone who happens to say LCHF does not really suit them rarely get any other advice so do you think that is right ?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What ? You don't like ANY fat ? Avacados, bacon, cheese, nuts ? Seriously ? There is an abundance of foods with a high fat content. I actually think you are in the minority. Most people do like fat. They may not like ALL fat, but they like fat.
Yes I eat yogurt cheese nuts avocados olives oily fish and I use lots of olive oil and coconut oil it is the actual fat on red meat and bacon that I don't like or really the taste of those meats so I stick to lean meats like chicken and turkey and I love venison and ostrich which is naturally low fat but very nutritious

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do because anyone who happens to say LCHF does not really suit them rarely get any other advice so do you think that is right ?

I think you are blaming the wrong people for this. LCHF is the only diet that has helped me lose weight and keep it off. It also helps me control my BGs too. I, and many other people who follow LCHF can only say what works for us. You seem to continually blame us for the fact that people with other alternative diets do not post about them or advise others to follow them. I cannot say to someone that portion control, low GI, low fat worked for me because they didn't. It's for those people who have had success with these diets to come forward and say so.

I have read very many posts where you say you don't like LCHF because you don't like fat and you don't need to lose weight. I for one told you peanuts would be good for you, then you said they had done the trick and helped you put on the weight you wanted to regain and questioned whether people who needed to lose weight should eat nuts!! It just seems to be nit-picking about LCHF all the time.

Honestly, I don't hear you extolling the virtues of any other diet, just saying what you personally hate about LCHF. Please tell others what works for you. Maybe a new thread detailing what you eat and how it works would be good? If you think something isn't being done, then you do it yourself and maybe others will follow.

I am interested in hearing about other diets too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 14 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I eat yogurt cheese nuts avocados olives oily fish and I use lots of olive oil and coconut oil it is the actual fat on red meat and bacon that I don't like so I stick to lean meats like chicken and turkey and I love venison and ostrich which is naturally low fat but very nutritious

I don't like fat on meat either. I wish I did. If you don't like it you can have other fats and still follow LCHF. It's really not the problem you make it out to be.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I eat yogurt cheese nuts avocados olives oily fish and I use lots of olive oil and coconut oil it is the actual fat on red meat and bacon that I don't like or really the taste of those meats so I stick to lean meats like chicken and turkey and I love venison and ostrich which is naturally low fat but very nutritious

I detest fat on meat (other than bacon) but I still eat red meat. I just cut any fat off either before cooking as in the case of a beef stew, or when it's on my plate. It is simple. I am a high fat person despite this, and if red meat is all you avoid, you are probably high fat too. Have you any idea what percentage of your intake your fat is?

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband hates fat and will cut off every tiny bit from his meat but he loves crackling,and the rendered down fat that sets on the top of the meat juices(dripping) and will have this on toast with salt and pepper Seemingly these are not fat !
CAROL

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
When I say "Not much research", I mean into use of ketogenic diets in the normal population. There is quite a lot in relation to epilepsy. This list is worth a read to help you make your own mind up. It is split into studies showing Advantageous, no, and adverse effects:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Ketogenic-Diet-Literature-Review.pdf

Sadly, it also includes the well battered Inuit story.

It's interesting; I wonder what actually constitutes the ketogenic diet that they are following? I know some ketogenic diets for epilepsy seem to involve the consumption of horrible green slop as opposed to a more liberal low-carb approach.

I won't say I'm on a ketogenic diet although I eat about 30 grams of carbohydrate a day.

But, anyway, a good list; thanks

Dillinger

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
In case it passed anyone by, the last linked item in my sig below is worth reading.

Reactions: 10 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Why should it be a question of whether it's right or not that alternative advice hasn't been received? If there are so many examples of success with other methodologies then where are they? Along with others, I'd love to hear about them. If it was me I'd be shouting from the rooftops about it. But please don't berate low carbing just because it is so successful for many and you personally don't like it, it's just such a negative approach (and we are supposed to be positive, right?).

Anyway, going back to the OP, LCHF works fine for me in both BG control (the most important) and weight control - 16 months in and counting, no regrets.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just think it odd that people dip n dive from one "diet" to another such as Rosemary Conley, weightwatchers etc... And invariably as statitistics show they give up or pile more weight on after.
Low / lower carb is a lifestylenot a diet that is seen as a short term means to an end... Its actually a long term sustainable life style.

I know I was brought up with few carbs and for me it has been my life eating plan and I only once have I tried to add in more carbs on advice from people telling me to eat breakfast like porridge and cereal and toast... I can't do that....

To me lower carbs is wholly sustainable for life.

Reactions: 8 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, you DO like fat then So, what actually is your issue ? You don't have to eat fat on red meat, as I explained earlier, there are so many other ways to increase your healthy fat content. Your earlier post suggested it would be a huge problem for you, and others, to increase their fat intake. This, you've yet to explain.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't matter if I think it's right or not. What is important is that they get the BEST advice. Do you think there may be a reason why there is so little posts or threads promoting alternatives ?

Reactions: 11 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Here we go again!

I am on a ketogenic lifestyle not a diet!
I give advice to newbies, saying the first thing to do is reduce carbs. Cut out sugars.

My wife is T2, I cook , shop and advise her on a reduced carb diet, she doesn't need to go to my extreme. She doesn't have to! So why should she miss out on her favourite foods as long as she is able! And in control!

I always use the phrase, low carbing, rather than LCHF! Simply because it will put off punters who are totally confused about dietary advice.

Statistics can prove anything, words are more dangerous than weapons used for someone who wants to distort anything they want to.

I have tried all the diets these past twenty years, none worked, in fact they increased my weight. And made me ill, my wife can only eat certain things, if we both hadn't found low carbing, we both would have been very ill!
Low carb works and I'm grateful to this site for the suggestion to try it!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always use the phrase, low carbing, rather than LCHF! Simply because it will put off punters who are totally confused about dietary advice.

Fair comment, I see your point. We at this forum did not make up the name however, if you google LCHF there's lots of entries about it. It's what the eating plan is known as everywhere.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All I know and you can understand why because I'm so healthy, though weird!

The lifestyle is the best thing since sliced bread!

Doh!
Should have said the invention of the wheel!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
II wouldn't have answered this thread because I feel uncomfortable doing so . Sid gave his reasons why people won't reply and surprise surprise his post is repeated with derision elsewhere , in a place that other members of the forum post so presumably support?
. I've been called a pharma shill (my bank account would love it, I haven't been able to afford to see my grandchildren since Christmas) an 'anti' whatever that means and goodness knows what else and I'm rather tired of it (a plague on all your houses)which is why I didn't reply to the rather loaded question.
I was tagged and so I will with a link to a previous post of mine
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/why-i-dont-low-carb.8913/#post-83982
I could probably add to that because it's several years and an awful lot of reading and several courses later but Tim has already included a recent literature search on ketogenic diets (@Dillinger; if you read it you'll find that there are some that list the foods used)
I would also add that I still take about the same amount of insulin as then; it went up when I developed hypothyroid but is now much the same as then.
I agree with DD earlier who mentions that a salad can contain 19 or more grams of carbohydrate. (unless you stick to Bernstein one cherry tomato amounts) I count carbs from every source, I don't eat packaged or highly refined foods. yet they add up. So often the impression is given that higher carb diets are full of highly refined junk foods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why should it be a question of whether it's right or not that alternative advice hasn't been received? If there are so many examples of success with other methodologies then where are they? Along with others, I'd love to hear about them. If it was me I'd be shouting from the rooftops about it. But please don't berate low carbing just because it is so successful for many and you personally don't like it, it's just such a negative approach (and we are supposed to be positive, right?).

Anyway, going back to the OP, LCHF works fine for me in both BG control (the most important) and weight control - 16 months in and counting, no regrets.

I really don't know where you get the idea I don't like low carbing as I do it myself, not very low as some do but as low as many others do it here. I don't eat any sugar stuff have mainly above ground green vegetables and salads no rice no pasta or wheat except a slice of Burgen bread occasionally and it suits me like that but it may not forever as none of us can know that and may need another way at some tim
I think you are blaming the wrong people for this. LCHF is the only diet that has helped me lose weight and keep it off. It also helps me control my BGs too. I, and many other people who follow LCHF can only say what works for us. You seem to continually blame us for the fact that people with other alternative diets do not post about them or advise others to follow them. I cannot say to someone that portion control, low GI, low fat worked for me because they didn't. It's for those people who have had success with these diets to come forward and say so.

I have read very many posts where you say you don't like LCHF because you don't like fat and you don't need to lose weight. I for one told you peanuts would be good for you, then you said they had done the trick and helped you put on the weight you wanted to regain and questioned whether people who needed to lose weight should eat nuts!! It just seems to be nit-picking about LCHF all the time.

Honestly, I don't hear you extolling the virtues of any other diet, just saying what you personally hate about LCHF. Please tell others what works for you. Maybe a new thread detailing what you eat and how it works would be good? If you think something isn't being done, then you do it yourself and maybe others will follow.

I am interested in hearing about other diets too.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK, replace low carbing with LCHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.