When to call an ambulance

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't get a straight answer. My current BGL is 3.1 (contour next, not Libre which is actually lower at 2.8). I don't want to waste public resources but at the same same I don't want to go unconscious. I'm not feeling any symptoms

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just read what I wrote and it makes no sense. Maybe I should just call the ambulance :( Edit: I am not permitted to drive with a BGL less than 5.0... so there's not much option?? I don't feel very sick but a little bit.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I'm alone tonght the jelly beaans are not not brining it up. I will call ambulance

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're on their way. What causes this?! I've eaten normally. I've tried the jelly beans. I've not given myself a double dose. It's just going down, down down

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.9 now. Maybe I called ambulance too early it'll go uph

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's better to be safe than sorry. I hope eveything will be OK, and the experience should help you deal with it next time.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They're on their way. What causes this?! I've eaten normally. I've tried the jelly beans. I've not given myself a double dose. It's just going down, down down
It happens.
And you did right to call an ambulance because you weren't sure what to do, even if it turns out it wasn't necessary.

the jelly beaans are not not brining it up
After a hypo, the sensor can be slow to recognise you're on the rise again.
I always do a fingerprick some 15 minutes after treating to see what's happening, my sensor is useless at those moments.

What I do if I have a particular hard hitting hypo and I'm alone is call a friend. She knows the drill so I don't have to explain while having a hypo muddled brain. I just tell her I'm having a hypo and I'm at home, and she stays on the phone with me, not asking questions (I can't think very well when hypo and questions are the most annoying thing) but talking small talk I don't really have to listen to.

That way I'm safe in case I drop further and go unconscious (which has never happened, thankfully!) because she knows my address and can call an ambulance and my neighbour.
It's not a regular thing, so far we've had this phonecall 3 times in 6 years, but I think it's a very elegant safety measure.

The panic can well be caused by the hypo itself, panic and feelings of dread are definitely part of my hypos if I drop real low.

How many jelly beans did you have?