where else blood

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hello
is there anywhere else i can draw blood for testing other than fingers, sorry if been asked before

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that fingers give the most accurate readings but it's possible to draw blood from the arms too. I have a different gadget to use for this should I want to.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Try to google diabetes and alternative test sites. I heard that the fingers are the most accurate but you can also use the fleshy pad at the base of the thumb and as Totto states above - the forearms.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have seen ear lobes used for testing too.. Basically anywhere where capillaries are close to the surface and there isn't much flesh.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
if you dont mind me saying urbanracer telling people to google it is a great way of putting people off asking questions in the forums.......although google is a great tool, there is a lot of misinformation on it also, i thought asking in a diabetic forum would be more likely be seen by folks who have actually had experience, thanks for taking the time anyway

You can also find information right here.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/alternate-site-testing.html

I suggested google because you will find some videos that actually show you how to do it, but if you can't be bothered to look ...............

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Guys, there is no need for this, personal remarks are not allowed or necessary, but if you must, then PM :cool:

RRB :)

iHs

I now dont bother to use my fingertips anymore as the need for bg testing due to pumping, was starting to get on top of me. Earlobes are ok if you have large ones that are hidden by long hair but sometimes its difficult to stem the blood droplet so a piece of tissue against the earlobe helps. Arms are okish and dont hurt at all but tends to leave marks that are ok in winter when covered up but not so in summer when walking about in a t shirt or short sleeve shirt.
At the moment, I am using the area around my nail bed on my fingers as only need a setting of 1 or 2 on my fingerpricker and the blood droplet is good enough for my teststrips ......Aviva. Other brands of teststrips that need a small amount of blood are available like Freestyle Lite are good as only a weeny pinprick is needed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently revived a USB Next in the post.. the instructions suggest the base of the palms as a site to draw blood to test.
i like to pinch out enough blood to rival a George A Romero movie, so i cant see how this can happen.? ;)
You learn something new every day.. I have been T1 for over 38 years..! lol