Who has a care plan?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
NICE has decreed, we should each have our own care plan agreed with our Health Care team.
I've certainly never been offered one. In fact my t1 husband doesn't have one either. I have met a couple of people who have them.
Hana

MadMat

Wow - I'm moving to Bexley so that I can register with that surgery!

Light years ahead of anything I've been offered as a newly diagnosed here in essex :(

Mat

Elc1112

I've never been offered anything like this but I don't honestly feel I need a formal care plan. I know what my target Hba1c, cholesterol, weight etc are and I don't feel I need to document these in this way. Informally, I discuss with my diabetes team whether I am trying to reduce any of my levels etc and I am sure this gets noted somewhere in the computer systems (or possibly on a post-it knowing my doctors surgery lol). If you feel a care plan like this would benefit you then I'd talk to your GP or diabetes team about it next time you see them. Can't see why they can't do one for you :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told about Care Plans at my local NHS Diabetes Patient meeting. Great idea but guaranteed not to work as the time taken to discuss and create one would be much longer than the 10 minutes GP meeting time let alone the time needed to review them. It also means GPs actually listening to patient feedback and I can't see that happening any time soon at my surgery.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Replies are preetty much what I expected.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't we all have a care plan?.....for example a Hba1c check, bp, cholesterol, feet, eyes etc.

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I have a care plan. I look after my mum who is disabled and also is a T2. The Doctor is very good, makes sure she is blood tested every 3 months and gives me the results ans its no point telling mu as she has residual brain damage after her fall 5 years ago. Her Doctor is always willing to visit whenever there is a problem but as far as ime concerned [also a T2] i have to push for everything and as yet am still waiting to see the diabetic nurse since being diagnosed last July. As for Social Services, well, for me they are a waste of space. No one wants to know until there is a problem. So much for the care plan!!!

Andy

Unbeliever

Ah but is it atually for the patient and not the HCP? If really intended for the latter it might have some merit.
I am quite serious. I once worked in a Care Home where they had these plans.
They were quite obviously a management tool . Very useful too. Back to basics perhaps? Probably much cheaper than training courses too.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

I got offered a care plan when i first got diagnosed. Unfortunately, I was misdiagnosed as type 2 when i was LADA. My care plan would have been better if it had included the correct tests to diagnose me and insulin to treat me appropriately :lol:

Smidge

Unbeliever

smidge said:
Hey all!

I got offered a care plan when i first got diagnosed. Unfortunately, I was misdiagnosed as type 2 when i was LADA. My care plan would have been better if it had included the correct tests to diagnose me and insulin to treat me appropriately :lol:

Smidge

Oh Picky, picky! :lol:

Christinelh

Dislikes
Housework Swearing Poor manners soaps on tv
Unbeliever said:
smidge said:
Hey all!

Smidge

Oh Picky, picky! :lol:
I know that feeling only to well a nightmare and LADA seems to go ok one minute then wrong the next feel like a yoyo