Wonder Food

pilling10

Hi about 7 years ago I was diagnosed with being on the verge of Type 2 diabetes and a test a few month later confirmed that I needed to control my diet as now above the considered limit for having diabetes.
I controlled this successfully for 7 years but for a couple of weeks before and whilst on holiday in Spain I felt unwell but being the stubborn person I am said nothing to my wife even when she and a friend kept asking what was wrong with me. Not only did I feel unwell but was constantly parched. In the end whilst on a trip to Gibraltar her friend said we were not leaving until I told them my problem. They took me straight to a chemist who tested my blood and told my wife to get me to a hospital asap as my reading was off the scale and I was lucky not to be in a coma.
The hospital confirmed the readings as being life threatening and immediately put me on drips and injections several times a day of insulin. They only allowed me to go after three days because we had a flight booked home and on the condition that I saw my doctor immediately.
The initial blood test with my doctor came back very high still (they told me the one in Spain had been in the 90's) but they put me on tablets and over a few days I was on 2 x 1000mgs of Sukkario and 2 mgs of Glimepride with horrid side effects but my blood tests in the main were staying under the 20's.
Both my doctor and the Spanish hospital had queried what had changed so much over the last 3 months as they said it had shown a gradual increase to that level and was not normal to happen like that. At the time I could not think of anything.
When I was first diagnosed my doctor recommended I take statins as well but I didn't like the side effects and discontinued taking them. I replaced them with something else that I considered would help my cholesterol level which was not high anyway and continued to take this for about 6 years, on average 4 times a week.
After a blood test last October my cholesterol was only 3.9 and the "good" had also come to a very acceptable level. My sugar level on whatever scale they use was only 46. Coupled with the fact that at times I had difficulty finding the variation of this ingredient that I wanted , Christmas, 3 10 day holidays and the fact that this was a cold start to the day I suppose I only had this about 6 times in the 3 months.
Hating the side effects I was getting from the tablets I constantly puzzled over what I had changed. Lying in bed one night I remembered what had changed and weighing up the percentage chance of dying if I didn't take the tablets for a couple of days I purchased some the next day and from that moment got better and more consistent blood readings that with all those horrid tablets and I now have this every morning. The highest blood sugar I have had for the last 2 months is 10.2 with most ranging from 5.2 -7.2
This wonder food was a third to half tin of Tesco's grapefruit in juice. I now take half a tin a day for breakfast and also drink a glass of grapefruit juice with my dinner.
From day one of restarting to eat this I had no horrid side effects and felt like my old self immediately.
I would recommend anyone to try this if not on insulin and can test their blood to confirm it is working for them.
Doing a little research afterwards it is known that in clinical tests on mice it showed it acted like Metaformin even though they admitted the mice did not have diabetes .It certainly worked on me!
Just remember the drug companies probably already know the benefits of this but can make no money out of it.
I hope this helps somebody if only as a prevention of those on the verge of being diagnosed

Reactions: pluto1a

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi about 7 years ago I was diagnosed with being on the verge of Type 2 diabetes and a test a few month later confirmed that I needed to control my diet as now above the considered limit for having diabetes.
I controlled this successfully for 7 years but for a couple of weeks before and whilst on holiday in Spain I felt unwell but being the stubborn person I am said nothing to my wife even when she and a friend kept asking what was wrong with me. Not only did I feel unwell but was constantly parched. In the end whilst on a trip to Gibraltar her friend said we were not leaving until I told them my problem. They took me straight to a chemist who tested my blood and told my wife to get me to a hospital asap as my reading was off the scale and I was lucky not to be in a coma.
The hospital confirmed the readings as being life threatening and immediately put me on drips and injections several times a day of insulin. They only allowed me to go after three days because we had a flight booked home and on the condition that I saw my doctor immediately.
The initial blood test with my doctor came back very high still (they told me the one in Spain had been in the 90's) but they put me on tablets and over a few days I was on 2 x 1000mgs of Sukkario and 2 mgs of Glimepride with horrid side effects but my blood tests in the main were staying under the 20's.
Both my doctor and the Spanish hospital had queried what had changed so much over the last 3 months as they said it had shown a gradual increase to that level and was not normal to happen like that. At the time I could not think of anything.
When I was first diagnosed my doctor recommended I take statins as well but I didn't like the side effects and discontinued taking them. I replaced them with something else that I considered would help my cholesterol level which was not high anyway and continued to take this for about 6 years, on average 4 times a week.
After a blood test last October my cholesterol was only 3.9 and the "good" had also come to a very acceptable level. My sugar level on whatever scale they use was only 46. Coupled with the fact that at times I had difficulty finding the variation of this ingredient that I wanted , Christmas, 3 10 day holidays and the fact that this was a cold start to the day I suppose I only had this about 6 times in the 3 months.
Hating the side effects I was getting from the tablets I constantly puzzled over what I had changed. Lying in bed one night I remembered what had changed and weighing up the percentage chance of dying if I didn't take the tablets for a couple of days I purchased some the next day and from that moment got better and more consistent blood readings that with all those horrid tablets and I now have this every morning. The highest blood sugar I have had for the last 2 months is 10.2 with most ranging from 5.2 -7.2
This wonder food was a third to half tin of Tesco's grapefruit in juice. I now take half a tin a day for breakfast and also drink a glass of grapefruit juice with my dinner.
From day one of restarting to eat this I had no horrid side effects and felt like my old self immediately.
I would recommend anyone to try this if not on insulin and can test their blood to confirm it is working for them.
Doing a little research afterwards it is known that in clinical tests on mice it showed it acted like Metaformin even though they admitted the mice did not have diabetes .It certainly worked on me!
Just remember the drug companies probably already know the benefits of this but can make no money out of it.
I hope this helps somebody if only as a prevention of those on the verge of being diagnosed
Note that grapefruit interacts with statins and some other drugs.

Reactions: Mimi's

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
This is really interesting. I wouldn't have thought that grapefruit juice would have any material benefits as it contains quite a lot of carbohydrate like other citrus fruits. If it works for you it may work for others and certainly worth trying if the usual LCHF foods aren't working. I'm glad to hear you have found a way to get things under control.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am pretty sure that if I took grapefruit or its juice (especially its juice) I would very quickly see a rise in bg and a return of the fatty liver (and dodgy liver function results) I had at diagnosis.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely only with Warfarin, not the NOACs?
I am on warfarin at the moment but hoping to switch to Apixaban. I was told that grapefruit and grapefruit juice contain compounds that interfere with gut enzymes involved with processing the drug and slow down that processing. My GP certainly warned against grapefruit - especially as I hadn't touched the stuff for over 10 years!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on warfarin at the moment but hoping to switch to Apixaban. I was told that grapefruit and grapefruit juice contain compounds that interfere with gut enzymes involved with processing the drug and slow down that processing. My GP certainly warned against grapefruit - especially as I hadn't touched the stuff for over 10 years!
I began taking Apixaban recently, as I needed an anti-coagulnt and Apixaban seemed to me and my medical adviser the best of the NOACs. However I then discovered that Apixaban can raise bg, whereas Dabigatran should not, as it works in a different way. I insisted on changing. In my experience medical professionals are not at all on the ball in their awareness of bg and will happily prescribe meds that will do this.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/wp...0-Drugs-That-Can-Affect-Blood-Sugars-F-FF.pdf

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I began taking Apixaban recently, as I needed an anti-coagulnt and Apixaban seemed to me and my medical adviser the best of the NOACs. However I then discovered that Apixaban can raise bg, whereas Dabigatran should not, as it works in a different way. I insisted on changing. In my experience medical professionals are not at all on the ball in their awareness of bg and will happily prescribe meds that will do this.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/wp...0-Drugs-That-Can-Affect-Blood-Sugars-F-FF.pdf
Thanks for the link – much appreciated. I have atrial fibrillation and already take other drugs related to that, one of which according to that list carries a risk of raising BS. I continue to need a life long anticoagulant for stroke risk reduction. I have lived with taking warfarin for 11 years now and have become increasingly weary of the incessant blood testing and dietary restrictions that it necessitates. From the current NOACs, the best would seem to be Apixaban. The decision to switch is always going to be a balancing act. At the moment, my priority continues to be stroke risk reduction. I'll just watch my readings and assess the impact.

Reactions: Brunneria

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
grapefruit is known to hinder the liver some from clearing the blood from a range of medications, so it will lead to a state where it is equal to having a higher dose of those kinds of medications... it can be dangerous , but I will guess it could also have some benefits to health... and if it was reliable and possible to be precise in the amount of which it works, it could maybe lead to taking lower doses of some medication and still work the same..
but if it destroys anticoagulation medication it would make it difficult to have an anticoagulation medication work and prevent the blood from cloting

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
by the way vitamin E also thins the blood and one would need less blood thinning medication if one take vitamin E supplements, therefor it is adviced against taking vitamin E while being on blood thinning medication

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Some info.

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-6-33

"
Abstract
Grapefruit juice is consumed widely in today's health conscious world as a protector against cardiovascular diseases and cancers. It has however, been found to be an inhibitor of the intestinal cytochrome P – 450 3A4 system, which is responsible for the first pass metabolism of many drugs. The P – glycoprotein pump, found in the brush border of the intestinal wall which transports many of these cytochrome P – 450 3A4 substrates, has also been implicated to be inhibited by grapefruit juice. By inhibiting these enzyme systems, grapefruit juice alters the pharmacokinetics of a variety of medications, leading to elevation of their serum concentrations. Most notable are its effects on the calcium channel antagonist and the statin group of drugs. In the case of many drugs, the increased serum concentration has been found to be associated with increased frequency of dose dependent adverse effects. In this review, we have discussed the phytochemistry of grapefruit juice, the various drugs involved in the drug – grapefruit juice eraction with their mechanisms of action and have presented the clinical implications of these interactions."

As it has some similarities with quinine having MG it is something I am best avoiding.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the link – much appreciated. I have atrial fibrillation and already take other drugs related to that, one of which according to that list carries a risk of raising BS. I continue to need a life long anticoagulant for stroke risk reduction. I have lived with taking warfarin for 11 years now and have become increasingly weary of the incessant blood testing and dietary restrictions that it necessitates. From the current NOACs, the best would seem to be Apixaban. The decision to switch is always going to be a balancing act. At the moment, my priority continues to be stroke risk reduction. I'll just watch my readings and assess the impact.
I too am taking Dabigatran due to (paroxysmal) AF. The symptoms are controlled with Flecainide. I did see that Apixaban was considered the best for stroke prevention, which made me want to take it initially, but when I realised it risked raising my bg I made the decision to switch to Dabigatran. I am not sure that the research studies on which these ratings are based are very sound. I agree, as one accumulates health problems, the balancing act becomes more and more tricky! However I am convinced abandoning Warfarin for a NOAC is an excellent decision, for quality of life and also because again and again studies have shown Warfarin to be inferior or at best only equal to the NOACs in its effects. That you could bear the dietary restrictions of both Warfarin AND diabetes is impressive!

Btw, Dabigatran provides a sort of Medical Alert card with details of dose, how to reverse etc. In order to alert people to this in case of an accident I bought a dog tag to wear round my neck, and was delighted with this very cheap one. But perhaps you already have something like this for your Warfarin.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001UYCEKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the current NOACs, the best would seem to be Apixaban. The decision to switch is always going to be a balancing act. At the moment, my priority continues to be stroke risk reduction. I'll just watch my readings and assess the impact.
I forgot to say, at the time I was wondering abut Apixaban, someone on the Forum replied to say s/he had had no problems with it raising bg. So I think your strategy of taking it and watching your readings is a good idea. In my case, my readings are so erratic, that wouldn't work well for me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abstract
Grapefruit juice is consumed widely in today's health conscious world as a protector against cardiovascular diseases and cancers. It has however, been found to be an inhibitor of the intestinal cytochrome P – 450 3A4 system, which is responsible for the first pass metabolism of many drugs. The P – glycoprotein pump, found in the brush border of the intestinal wall which transports many of these cytochrome P – 450 3A4 substrates, has also been implicated to be inhibited by grapefruit juice. By inhibiting these enzyme systems, grapefruit juice alters the pharmacokinetics of a variety of medications, leading to elevation of their serum concentrations. Most notable are its effects on the calcium channel antagonist and the statin group of drugs. In the case of many drugs, the increased serum concentration has been found to be associated with increased frequency of dose dependent adverse effects. In this review, we have discussed the phytochemistry of grapefruit juice, the various drugs involved in the drug – grapefruit juice eraction with their mechanisms of action and have presented the clinical implications of these interactions."
Surely this could have been better written.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it was reliable and possible to be precise in the amount of which it works, it could maybe lead to taking lower doses of some medication and still work the same..
But it would be difficult to be sure of always being able to take exactly the same amount of grapefruit juice, especially when travelling. Pills are much easier to transport.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
They took me straight to a chemist who tested my blood and told my wife to get me to a hospital asap as my reading was off the scale and I was lucky not to be in a coma.

Hi piilin10, welcome to the forum, sounds like you had a lucky escape. Did you not have your meter with you? Essential equipment for anybody with diabetes. Maybe you'd consumed more carbs than usual? If you're worried about hyperglycemic comas in the future the symptoms to look out for include dehydration, weakness, legs cramps, trouble seeing, and an altered level of consciousness.

I needed to control my diet as now above the considered limit for having diabetes. I controlled this successfully for 7 years

Would that be by lowering your carb intake?

I now take half a tin a day for breakfast and also drink a glass of grapefruit juice with my dinner.

That's good news and I see that the NHS certainly say that grapefruit juice can be as effective as Metformin. I personally think they should add "in some patients", because it doesn't work for everybody, me especially.

I ate at 19:30 on 4/6 and then nothing until 12:00 and dinner at 19:00. This morning I had half a grapefruit at 08:30, then lunch at 12:00.

My trusty FS Libre which I use to show trends more than anything shows my BG rising from about 06:00 on both days, as it will do with the dawn phenomenon. I get varying degrees of this, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. The peak just after 08:00 on Tuesday started to drop before I had breakfast and continued throughout the morning. Today it did the same but eating grapefruit didn't seem to change anything, the following drop is as the previous day.

I had the same lunch on both days (vegetable soup from the same batch made in the soup maker - wonderful piece of kit). Yet today there is ever such a greater rise. It's very difficult to draw any absolute conclusions. I'll certainly continue to eat grapefruit, might even get some juice because I do enjoy it. I shall keep an eye open.
2018_06_05-06-jpg.jpg

Were they referring to the change in your HbA1c in that time? Surely your testing would show a gradual increase. Sudden increases? In my experience, when following a low carb diet I can easily get my BG to go through the roof within hours of eating anything "carby". Even a couple of slices of bread will get my BG up in the teens. I guess if I was to eat a bar of chocolate I could make it even worse.

Diabetes is a very confusing disease, it affects us all in different ways and even then it will change for the individual, it never seems to be constant. Again, in just my experience, although I'm presently having some issue with the dawn phenomenon, I can go weeks with a straight line graph between 5 and 7.

Glad to see the grapefruit is working for you, long may that continue.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to say, at the time I was wondering abut Apixaban, someone on the Forum replied to say s/he had had no problems with it raising bg. So I think your strategy of taking it and watching your readings is a good idea. In my case, my readings are so erratic, that wouldn't work well for me.
Thanks for these further comments - much appreciated. I was only diagnosed with T2 in April this year so haven't been managing both sets of dietary restrictions for long at all! Thankfully my BG is so far controlled on keto and will hopefully stay that way :) Thanks again

~heath

Reactions: JohnEGreen