Why does my Hba1c keep remaining at 31?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the past year, spanning 3 hba1c tests, my count has been 31, which is "normal".

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to have things under control. But surely you couldn't design your reading to be so static if you tried. It hasn't veered from 31. So I'm guessing that Hba1c readings are "round-up" numbers rather than completely precise ones?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just means that your consistent in how you control your diabetes, well done :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done. I'm surprised your GP tests you every 3/6 months. When I went down from 49 to 44 on my first 3 month test my GP said I didn't need to be tested for another 12 months.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done. I'm surprised your GP tests you every 3/6 months. When I went down from 49 to 44 on my first 3 month test my GP said I didn't need to be tested for another 12 months.
Thats bad of your GP. No matter what your HBA1C, it should be done at least every 6 months at a minimum.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
really.... I had one on diagnosis and then 3 months later then 9 months (ie yearly anniversary) and yearly since.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @KittyKatty that's impressive. :)

I only have HbA1c tests annually too, even though I asked for an extra one in between once I didn't get one.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the past year, spanning 3 hba1c tests, my count has been 31, which is "normal".

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to have things under control. But surely you couldn't design your reading to be so static if you tried. It hasn't veered from 31. So I'm guessing that Hba1c readings are "round-up" numbers rather than completely precise ones?
How did you drop from 97 in june 14 to 31? Thats incredible. well done. I wish I could hit 31. What is your average BG?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you drop from 97 in june 14 to 31? Thats incredible. well done. I wish I could hit 31. What is your average BG?
-------------------

I was on Metformin for the first 6 months of diagnosis until I made the decision to go it alone. Plus I went to eating very low carbs. I lost lots of weight and have thankfully kept it off. That's all I know! But the thing is, however low hba1c is, it's only as low as the meals you eat. I don't eat bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. No cakes, biscuits or chocolate. I'm sure if I started my traditional scoffing again I would be up the proverbial creek again. I cook from scratch, just eat meat, vegetables, butter and cheese. An hour after eating I get up and move about to lower the effects of the blood sugar (it works)

I haven't tested my bloods before or after meals for about 3 months now. I did it religiously and expensively at first, just to acquaint myself with what spiked my blood. I'm a little bit more relaxed now but I think all newly diagnosed should test like crazy to find out what their body can take.

Reactions: 7 people