Hypos in Cuba?

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Off to Cuba on Thursday for Xmas.All the potions packed.Does anyone have any experience if having hypos over there where they've needed medical intervention? As I'm not in a hotel but with a family I won't have access to onsite medics. Anyone got any advice before I go please?

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cuba has a higher percentage of doctors than any other country in the world (I think it is something like one doctor to every 230 people), and there are local clinics everywhere. Tell the family you are staying with that you are diabetic and might need to be taken to hospital or have a doctor be called. I am sure they will be able to get you medical assistance if you need it.
Cuba is short of medicines though, even basic things like painkillers, because of the US embargo they have difficulty in buying pharmaceuticals. So it is good that that you are taking the necessary medications.
Cubans do eat a lot of rice, but they also eat a lot of vegetables, pork and fish, so you should be ok for food.
Enjoy the sun and your holiday!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shar67

Cuba has a higher percentage of doctors than any other country in the world, and there are local clinics everywhere. Tell the family you are staying with that you are diabetic and might need to be taken to hospital or have a doctor be called. I am sure they will be able to get you medical assistance if you need it.
Cuba is short of medicines though, even basic things like painkillers, because of the US embargo they have difficulty in buying pharmaceuticals. So it is good that that you are taking the necessary medications.
Cubans do eat a lot of rice, but they also eat a lot of vegetables, pork and fish, so you should be ok for food.

Last year Dec 2014, the embargo was relaxed and there is travel and trade allowed now with the intention of lifting embargo completely by end of next year.
Michael Moor did one of his TV documentaries, where he took a group of USA citizens to get treatment in Cuba as it was cheaper than the USA, they were on a little boat waving a can we come in flag. Everyone was happy with the treatment they were given.

Reactions: 4 people

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Last year Dec 2014, the embargo was relaxed and there is travel and trade allowed now with the intention of lifting embargo completely by end of next year.
Michael Moor did one of his TV documentaries, where he took a group of USA citizens to get treatment in Cuba as it was cheaper than the USA, they were on a little boat waving a can we come in flag. Everyone was happy with the treatment they were given.
Cuba has a higher percentage of doctors than any other country in the world, and there are local clinics everywhere. Tell the family you are staying with that you are diabetic and might need to be taken to hospital or have a doctor be called. I am sure they will be able to get you medical assistance if you need it.
Thanks...thats made it easy for me to leave and look forward to everything.I'll. Just make sure I pop extra glucose and painkillers in my bag.Happy Xmas

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in Cuba 4 years ago for Christmas- what an amazing place! It was before I was diagnosed but I did have to use the pharmacy as I got a bad chest cold. There are separate 'tourist pharmacies ' and health services that are only available to tourists and are clean, well stocked and expensive, only taking the tourist currency. They had doctors on call and were very helpful. When my cough wouldn't go away and we were in a non-touristy place, my host took my to local pharmacy which was literally a hole in the wall and I was given a bottle of cough medicine which sorted me out pretty quickly, I, sure it had codeine in it! And it only cost 10p in the local peseo currency.

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in Cuba 4 years ago for Christmas- what an amazing place! It was before I was diagnosed but I did have to use the pharmacy as I got a bad chest cold. There are separate 'tourist pharmacies ' and health services that are only available to tourists and are clean, well stocked and expensive, only taking the tourist currency. They had doctors on call and were very helpful. When my cough wouldn't go away and we were in a non-touristy place, my host took my to local pharmacy which was literally a hole in the wall and I was given a bottle of cough medicine which sorted me out pretty quickly, I, sure it had codeine in it! And it only cost 10p in the local peseo currency.
Thanks Annioak...sounds like I'm sorted either way then! Cuba here I come.....

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou so much everyone.....2.20am in Heathrow hotel....instant porridge at the ready , cab coming....first leg to Munich imminent....i'm on my wayyyyyyyyy........