Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

AndySwe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hey,

Been on the 640G for a week now (prev 40 yrs of injections). I use CGM - funded via Health insurance in Sweden - but really wonder about the functionality of not showing the CGM reading when trying to give either a manual bolus or via the BolusWizard. I have to go back to the entry screen to see my CGM reading and then input it manually in the Wizard or the manual interface. Is this by design, a bug or a faulty pump?

Still quite happy with it but still on a honeymoon reg the pump usage where everything is exciting and nifty.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi Andy,I've been on the 640g for 6 months and use the CGM ,your pump is working fine,unfortunately that how it works

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Not used the CGM with mine yet, I have got a transmitter and one sensor which has been supplied by NHS but if I want to continue using CGM I have to self fund unfortunately. :-(

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello all, I received my 640g the other day but am not due to start on it till the 1st December I think! Ages yet! Rather impatient ha! I am well was currently on the AccuChek combo....did not get on with that one at all hence why I am now back on pens until connected back to a pump! I am having an issue at the moment though in regards to getting a CareLink USB, I know what they look like and my consultant and DSN want me to have one just don't seem to have one! I too got the CGM with the pump!

how is everyone finding the pump? xx

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all, I received my 640g the other day but am not due to start on it till the 1st December I think! Ages yet! Rather impatient ha! I am well was currently on the AccuChek combo....did not get on with that one at all hence why I am now back on pens until connected back to a pump! I am having an issue at the moment though in regards to getting a CareLink USB, I know what they look like and my consultant and DSN want me to have one just don't seem to have one! I too got the CGM with the pump!

how is everyone finding the pump? xx
You were lucky to get the cgm with your pump. All I got was the Contour Next Link blood glucose monitor which is also used as the Carelink USB.

Have you/your DSN tried asking Medtronic to send you one? I don't actually use it as a glucose monitor, as I prefer the Verio (I can see it easily in poor light).

I've had my 640G since the end of April and am still getting used to it. In some ways I preferred my old Veo but the new pump has some great features. I now have NHS funding for the cgm and will get training in that next week. I daresay it will take me some time to get used to that too!

D

Deleted member 83869

You were lucky to get the cgm with your pump. All I got was the Contour Next Link blood glucose monitor which is also used as the Carelink USB.

Have you/your DSN tried asking Medtronic to send you one? I don't actually use it as a glucose monitor, as I prefer the Verio (I can see it easily in poor light).

I've had my 640G since the end of April and am still getting used to it. In some ways I preferred my old Veo but the new pump has some great features. I now have NHS funding for the cgm and will get training in that next week. I daresay it will take me some time to get used to that too!

Yeah I contacted Medtronic who just said the meter is the same as the USB stick so if it does the same thing then that won't matter right? Speaking of my consultant she just emailed me ha! I am mega Impatient to start on the pump I haven't missed injections!! And veo? What one is that??

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I contacted Medtronic who just said the meter is the same as the USB stick so if it does the same thing then that won't matter right? Speaking of my consultant she just emailed me ha! I am mega Impatient to start on the pump I haven't missed injections!! And veo? What one is that??
The Veo was Medtronic's predecessor to the 640G.

If you already have the meter, I don't know why your DSN didn't know that was also the USB.

D

Deleted member 83869

The Veo was Medtronic's predecessor to the 640G.

If you already have the meter, I don't know why your DSN didn't know that was also the USB.
I haven't spoke or even met this dsn yet....its all been through the consultant.... I've moved boroughs and my consultant has a way of if she wants something done then its done ha she literally said I want to try you on a new pump and it was ordered the same day!! Xx

Jenk

My son is new
You can also think of it this way.

Without the CGM portions he Vibe and the 640G are both 'just pumps' they both do the same things and likely perform well enough no one would tell the difference.

With the CGM, the 640G has a better feature set BUT the actual data it is getting from the Enlite sensors (from what i hear) is worse, and less reliable in real world use (although MM claims in tests its as good as Dexcom).

The CGM of the Dexcom system is much better, but the combination requires more button pushes on the users part. IMO pressing more buttons is worth it if you are getting better, more consistent readings from the CGM.

Also, i like to think that Animas will be releasing a new system as the vibes are now 4/5 years old, and they will want to compete with the 640G, i expect they will learn from all the negative things about the 640G and avoid those mistakes AND they will still be using the Dexcom stuff which gives better data. So there is potential to get a Vibe now, use it for like 2 years and then upgrade to the next, newer system later on.

EDIT - The Veo uses the Contour NEXT link as the 'remote' which tells the pump to bolus, which i would assume is what the 640G uses. The down side to this is the connection is one way. meaning the pump doesn't send data to the remote so you can bolus but you wont be able to see what you IOB is at that time, and it only does a normal bolus, not a combo/extended bolus. So its applicable in certain situations only, and it doesn't use the same algorithm to determine insulin doses that the pump does.
to

Jenk

You can also think of it this way.

Without the CGM portions he Vibe and the 640G are both 'just pumps' they both do the same things and likely perform well enough no one would tell the difference.

With the CGM, the 640G has a better feature set BUT the actual data it is getting from the Enlite sensors (from what i hear) is worse, and less reliable in real world use (although MM claims in tests its as good as Dexcom).

The CGM of the Dexcom system is much better, but the combination requires more button pushes on the users part. IMO pressing more buttons is worth it if you are getting better, more consistent readings from the CGM.

Also, i like to think that Animas will be releasing a new system as the vibes are now 4/5 years old, and they will want to compete with the 640G, i expect they will learn from all the negative things about the 640G and avoid those mistakes AND they will still be using the Dexcom stuff which gives better data. So there is potential to get a Vibe now, use it for like 2 years and then upgrade to the next, newer system later on.

EDIT - The Veo uses the Contour NEXT link as the 'remote' which tells the pump to bolus, which i would assume is what the 640G uses. The down side to this is the connection is one way. meaning the pump doesn't send data to the remote so you can bolus but you wont be able to see what you IOB is at that time, and it only does a normal bolus, not a combo/extended bolus. So its applicable in certain situations only, and it doesn't use the same algorithm to determine insulin doses that the pump does.
Hi. My son is new to T1 and pumping. We have had a pump since May 2015 (Medtronic Veo) and think we can do better than the Enlite sensor. Is the Veo compatible with the Dexcom? I am getting a sense that Dexcom ismore accurate. The enlite makes too many errors and keeps us awake at night with false alarms

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Dexcom is unfortunately not compatible with the enlite sensors. Dexcom have their own sensors and system. I believe Dexcom are a better sensor than the enlite though but the enlites are getting better I believe.

@ohitsnicola the Contour Nextlink 2.4 blood glucose meter is used as the USB. :)

J-a-n-e

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not used the CGM with mine yet, I have got a transmitter and one sensor which has been supplied by NHS but if I want to continue using CGM I have to self fund unfortunately. :-(
Please can you explain how you was able to get a transmitter. I've asked for it, and even said I'm happy to self fund sensors... I just can't afford to buy a transmitter at the moment which I believe cost around £700.00. I'm using Animas, I have high sugar levels - 14-17 and ketones every morning and I'm pregnant.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My DSN got a deal when she got the pump. I haven't actually seen the transmitter myself yet but my DSN has it ready for me at the clinic along with one sensor (also part of the deal). I suppose I was just lucky that my clinic got that deal. I would ask your DSN to find out how much a transmitter costs as I am not really sure. Your team might also be able to get a deal through Medtronic for you. If you don't ask you don't get. :)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I'm currently on day 7 of wearing an enlite sensor with my pump. It seems fairly good so far although it was a bit fiddly getting the transmitter off to recharge it!! There have been times where it shut my pump off thinking I was about to have a hypo when I was 7.1 so I turned it straight back on again. It did turn off a few times when I was about to have a real hypo last week which was good. :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Please can you explain how you was able to get a transmitter. I've asked for it, and even said I'm happy to self fund sensors... I just can't afford to buy a transmitter at the moment which I believe cost around £700.00. I'm using Animas, I have high sugar levels - 14-17 and ketones every morning and I'm pregnant.

A Dexcom transmitter for the animas pump and 4 sensors costs £500. Or you can buy the transmitter for £345 ? plus one sensor for £50. Boxes of 4 sensors cost £186.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sensor died today, nearly 8 days out of it. Was hoping for a few more than that but hey ho!

mauro73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good evening all, Minimed Paradigm Veo + Enlite sensor in UK since 1 year.
Sensor works fine for 5 days, then it usually start to get false indication. Disconnecting and reconnecting the transmitter, I was able to get two three more days...not more and not always.
One quick question: where and how can I buy the sensor? When I was in Italy, I had one year free supply... but here in UK, no chance, I have to fund it myself.
The only way to buy it is from the Medtronic site? I did find out on Amazon they are much cheaper?
Can anyone give me some advise?
Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The only way to buy it is from the Medtronic site? I did find out on Amazon they are much cheaper?
I doubt very much you can buy from amazon Medtronic have their own market well and truly sewn up.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've been managing to average 19 days by recharging the transmitter.

mauro73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I doubt very much you can buy from amazon Medtronic have their own market well and truly sewn up.
I actually found it on Amazon , but it come from America. Cost goes from 170$ to 250$ ... main problem is they do not ship to UK.