Travel Insurance and Full Disclosure

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We often see threads from posters wondering if they need to declare their diabetes to their travel insurer when travelling abroad. Whilst the condition that befell this guy may not be related to diabetes, it perfectly illustrates what can happen when someone, for whatever reason, fails to disclose material information.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-declare-pre-existing-medical-condition.html

If in doubt, declare something and ask your insurer to confirm to you, in writing (an email would be fine), that you continue to be fully covered in the light of your disclosure. Of course, they may adjust the premium to reflect the declaration you make, depending on its nature, but is it easier to find a few extra pounds for a premium than tens of thousands of pounds for unexpected treatment?

Whilst unpalatable, we all know which makes sense.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A salutary warning for us all. I have my travel insurance through my bank and I imagine it would be quite easy to forget to amend it. :wideyed:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The onus is fairly and squarely on the customer to ensure they have adequately disclosed. Nobody should ever assume anything will "be fine".

The point of a claim is not the time to discover one has dropped a proverbial brick.

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A salutary warning for us all. I have my travel insurance through my bank and I imagine it would be quite easy to forget to amend it. :wideyed:

I have "free" travel insurance through my NatWest Mr-Fancy-Pants account.

However, I called them back in 2014 to see if I needed to declare my diabetes.
They said I was not covered unless I paid a premium of £80.

This covered me for one year, unlimited trips globally for a maximum of 30 days at any one time.

It ran out in November this year so... Thanks for the reminder!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it was the Nationwide I used to have, no extra charge when I declared it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does losing his pancreas automatically make him a Type 3c?
in which case, the bills will continue to rise, the longer he is out there.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail.
And I TOTALLY take on board the need for full disclosure to the insurance company!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I like about Forums, is I get to find out what is in the Daily Wail.

I'd never know otherwise as there is no chance I'd ever buy the rag.

Reactions: 4 people

Arizona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Benendon Travel insurance and as an asthmatic / high blood pressure patient it has been very reasonable - not yet had to disclose diabetes - that comes next holiday season. Let's see how it goes next time. It is not a good idea to be stuck abroad with a non disclosure on your travel policy.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use insure and go. I had to disclose my diabetes, my high blood pressure and what meds I'm on. A 12 month Europe wide policy was just over £50. My previous year's which was world wide was about £37. So not a massive difference but I feel better knowing that I don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We often see threads from posters wondering if they need to declare their diabetes to their travel insurer when travelling abroad. Whilst the condition that befell this guy may not be related to diabetes, it perfectly illustrates what can happen when someone, for whatever reason, fails to disclose material information.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-declare-pre-existing-medical-condition.html

If in doubt, declare something and ask your insurer to confirm to you, in writing (an email would be fine), that you continue to be fully covered in the light of your disclosure. Of course, they may adjust the premium to reflect the declaration you make, depending on its nature, but is it easier to find a few extra pounds for a premium than tens of thousands of pounds for unexpected treatment?

Whilst unpalatable, we all know which makes sense.

As you spend a lot of times in sunny climates, well beyond the normal 28 days, and you have been diagnosed diabetic at some point, who do you insure with?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have "free" travel insurance through my NatWest Mr-Fancy-Pants account.

However, I called them back in 2014 to see if I needed to declare my diabetes.
They said I was not covered unless I paid a premium of £80.

This covered me for one year, unlimited trips globally for a maximum of 30 days at any one time.

It ran out in November this year so... Thanks for the reminder!
As you spend a lot of times in sunny climates, well beyond the normal 28 days, and you have been diagnosed diabetic at some point, who do you insure with?

I spend months on end overseas, and do have insurance. Unless, like me you spend such protracted periods overseas, my approach (which is partly worldwide private medical insurance, attaching to my UK policy, and the balance as travel insurance) would probably be very costly, but depending on the style of travel, almost anything is possible, depending on the depth of the pockets.

I should declare immediately that having never taken any medication for diabetes or anything else (save the odd course of antibiotics or painkillers, when required), I have always presented a modest risk to insurers.

For those undertaking longer trips, it is possible to find single trip policies for trips up to 24 months, or for multiple trips within a calendar year, but not restricted to the usual 30 or 90 days at a time. These are often called backpackers insurance, and do have age limitations, which can vary enormously. For the longer trips, over 60 they become trickier to find, and over 70, I don't know of any insurers offering longer trips than about 45 days. A Google search reveals of of these things, if you put in your own requirements.

As you are overseas SXP, how do you manage your health cover?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spend months on end overseas, and do have insurance. Unless, like me you spend such protracted periods overseas, my approach (which is partly worldwide private medical insurance, attaching to my UK policy, and the balance as travel insurance) would probably be very costly, but depending on the style of travel, almost anything is possible, depending on the depth of the pockets.

I should declare immediately that having never taken any medication for diabetes or anything else (save the odd course of antibiotics or painkillers, when required), I have always presented a modest risk to insurers.

For those undertaking longer trips, it is possible to find single trip policies for trips up to 24 months, or for multiple trips within a calendar year, but not restricted to the usual 30 or 90 days at a time. These are often called backpackers insurance, and do have age limitations, which can vary enormously. For the longer trips, over 60 they become trickier to find, and over 70, I don't know of any insurers offering longer trips than about 45 days. A Google search reveals of of these things, if you put in your own requirements.

As you are overseas SXP, how do you manage your health cover?

And your actual answer is?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And your actual answer is?
From my post: "....partly worldwide private medical insurance, attaching to my UK policy, and the balance as travel insurance....."

And now your answer, please?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From my post: "....partly worldwide private medical insurance, attaching to my UK policy, and the balance as travel insurance....."

And now your answer, please?

A very interesting and very telling answer.
Do you travel?

If you do, any particular company, with a name, you insure with?
Your answer please, I'm sure we could all learn from you.
Are you insurers good with your dual insurance? I hope you've declared it to both of them?
Normally that's a very risky strategy, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very interesting and very telling answer.
Do you travel?

If you do, any particular company, with a name, you insure with?
Your answer please, I'm sure we could all learn from you.
Are you insurers good with your dual insurance? I hope you've declared it to both of them?
Normally that's a very risky strategy, and I wouldn't recommend it.

My insurers are fine, as the cover differs. My worldwide medical insurance is with one of the big names. My terms are preferential as a former employee, which is somewhat fortunate for me. My backpacker's cover is with whomever will provide the cover I want at renewal time.

No insurer will tolerate an insured individual making a claim on two policies for the same issue (aside from life, critical illness or some portfolio income protection policies), but to be honest, if their client is stupid enough to have overlapping cover that's up to them. Overlapping cover isn't risky, if managed appropriately. Gapping cover is risky, I would agree. Thanks for your concern.

Yes, I do travel, thanks. Do you, as you seem to be spending a lot of effort avoiding the reciprocal responses?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My insurers are fine, as the cover differs. My worldwide medical insurance is with one of the big names. My terms are preferential as a former employee, which is somewhat fortunate for me. My backpacker's cover is with whomever will provide the cover I want at renewal time.

No insurer will tolerate an insured individual making a claim on two policies for the same issue (aside from life, critical illness or some portfolio income protection policies), but to be honest, if their client is stupid enough to have overlapping cover that's up to them. Overlapping cover isn't risky, if managed appropriately. Gapping cover is risky, I would agree. Thanks for your concern.

Yes, I do travel, thanks. Do you, as you seem to be spending a lot of effort avoiding the reciprocal responses?

So, a glass ceiling, blue sky, run it up the flagpole response?
Mmm.
No names, no (back)pack drill.
Do you actually have any insurance at all?
No offense, but this is really becoming a 'Tricky Dicky' moment.
Still enough banter, back on track for the travelers.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, a glass ceiling, blue sky, run it up the flagpole response?
Mmm.
No names, no (back)pack drill.
Do you actually have any insurance at all?
No offense, but this is really becoming a 'Tricky Dicky' moment.
Still enough banter, back on track for the travelers.

I have given my answer, which was pretty comprehensive in my view. You, on the other hand, have avoided any sensible response to my own responding questions.

I didn't create this thread for a row, but to point out to folks who may be considering a not quite full disclosure.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, if you do actually travel, and do need to look for insurance, and to help out posters that may be considering an excursion beyond their keyboards.
And to name names, if you do actually travel.
I would suggest Zurich, who provide a full package, including medivac.
But it depends on where you go to.
If you stay within the EU, reciprocal cover isn't awful.
It's when you get to places were you think, mmm, get my medi kit, and use my own needles, that decent cover is really important.
But, between jobs, I've used a mixture of the good old Nationwide for the EU, and I've backed that with self insurance.
Either way, make sure if you go self insure, you have a robust credit card.

Now, Zurich wins hands down for me.
But, I'm actually there.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, if you do actually travel, and do need to look for insurance, and to help out posters that may be considering an excursion beyond their keyboards.
And to name names, if you do actually travel.
I would suggest Zurich, who provide a full package, including medivac.
But it depends on where you go to.
If you stay within the EU, reciprocal cover isn't awful.
It's when you get to places were you think, mmm, get my medi kit, and use my own needles, that decent cover is really important.
But, between jobs, I've used a mixture of the good old Nationwide for the EU, and I've backed that with self insurance.
Either way, make sure if you go self insure, you have a robust credit card.

Now, Zurich wins hands down for me.
But, I'm actually there.

I'm delighted you're sorted. I can sleep easy now.

90 days isn't long enough for me, under usual circumstances.