Aaaaaaargh!!!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in the middle of some baking. I've never used sugar substitutes before. The recipe I used has Xylitol in it, but I bought Truvia instead, cos I have dogs. Anyway, point is, I added the same amount of Truvia as the recipe gave for Xylitol, but I think Truvia is much sweeter? Have I just added far to much sweetener to my lovingly made cheesecake? And if so, am I right in assuming that as well as tasting bad, it's likely to poison us?!

Gerds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfairness
Just in the middle of some baking. I've never used sugar substitutes before. The recipe I used has Xylitol in it, but I bought Truvia instead, cos I have dogs. Anyway, point is, I added the same amount of Truvia as the recipe gave for Xylitol, but I think Truvia is much sweeter? Have I just added far to much sweetener to my lovingly made cheesecake? And if so, am I right in assuming that as well as tasting bad, it's likely to poison us?!
Hi hedonista

I think Truvia is based on Stevia which is a herb. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol. debates about sugar alcohols and whether they stimulate the secretion of insulin. But you know what ....see for xmas day......i'm not worrying too much. we are having a chocolate cream cherry mousse with a little stevia. can hardly wait. i have an amazing partner who cooks me amazing things to help me keep my low carb healthy fat diet. 5 years now and so far so good.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post definitely belongs in @Robinredbreast 's scream thread!

Stevia on it's own is extremely sweet and in quantity can leave an unpleasant after taste. Apparently the main ingredient in Truvia is erythritol not stevia, but both are safe for diabetic use. Neither of them appear to have any nasty side effects, so apart from a possible odd and oversweet taste from the stevia I don't think you'll come to any real harm.

I've found this conversion table for various different sugar alternatives for baking, so you could work out what the difference is for the quantity of xylitol specified in the recipe against the quantity of Truvia you actually used?

Rbbity

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both of you. Just by licking spoons/bowls etc this evening I've had more sweetness in a few hours than I've had in the whole of the last year, and I'm now quite sure I can do without it! It'll be a treat to have cheese cake I suppose, but I'm far more excited about the cheese hamper full of Cornish Yarg, Stinking Bishop and beautiful old-style cloth wrapped cheddar etc that my friend has sent me, than I am about pudding.

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It won't poison you - I'm assuming you are still alive today! But Truvia is much sweeter, on the jar it says one third of a teaspoon is equivalent to a teaspoon of sugar. Most other sweeteners seem to have a 1:1 equivalent.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't find Stevia very sweet at all but that is the pure Stevia with nothing added to it where Truvia has erythritol added to it so that probably makes it much sweeter

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It turned out to be delicious - everyone had seconds. I would slightly modify the recipe by reducing the amount of base, and adding a pinch of salt to the mousse topping next time, but I will only make it once or twice a year because it's awakened my sweet tooth!

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It turned out to be delicious - everyone had seconds. I would slightly modify the recipe by reducing the amount of base, and adding a pinch of salt to the mousse topping next time, but I will only make it once or twice a year because it's awakened my sweet tooth!
Just the reason I don't bake or eat sweet stuff I don't want to keep a sweet tooth alive

Reactions: 2 people