Increase carer allowance up to £100 pounds weekly

yorkshire

Dear All Carers i hope you guys are well' i am iqbal khan and am caring for my mother approximately 8 years she does suffer from diabetes etc,its honour for myself to take care of my mother. And the rest of you guys who are also caring for others etc. I appeal to all you people please sign the petition for the increase of carer allowance at least £100 pound weekly and extra benefits and recognition .The amount at moment for carers is not sufficient to the climate that we are in so please everyone click on the link or log on to petition parliament and sign in... log on to https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/114355
sign the petition and also share plz.if we reach approx 10,000 signatures the government will acknowledged and respond and if we hit up to 100,000 signatures it will be a debate and a sign of victory

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/114355

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Iqbal, I admire you for attempting to make a difference, I'm a fellow carer, although no longer in a hands-on role.
But, and I'm sorry to point this out, your petition stands very little chance of getting far at all. There have been many petitions asking for almost exactly the same thing, and they have not reached anywhere near the numbers required, despite plenty of publicity. I know that you have posted on the Carers UK website, if you look at the petitions section you can see it there, also Google Carers Allowance Petitions. You can see on the CUK homepage about campaigns to end Carers poverty too. Successive governments have made promises and every time, we have been shafted. Sorry if bluntness offends.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ladybird64 i hope you have sign the petition' i no its a hard mission ,but still trying our best

Of course I have Iqbal, I wish you all the best with it. :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Dear All Carers i hope you guys are well' i am iqbal khan and am caring for my mother approximately 8 years she does suffer from diabetes etc,its honour for myself to take care of my mother. And the rest of you guys who are also caring for others etc. I appeal to all you people please sign the petition for the increase of carer allowance at least £100 pound weekly and extra benefits and recognition .The amount at moment for carers is not sufficient to the climate that we are in so please everyone click on the link or log on to petition parliament and sign in... log on to https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/114355
sign the petition and also share plz.if we reach approx 10,000 signatures the government will acknowledged and respond and if we hit up to 100,000 signatures it will be a debate and a sign of victory

Hi, have signed the petition. And hopefully it is on Facebook now. I was an unpaid carer for 9 years looking after my mother who not only had Alzheimer's, but she was Type 2 Diabetic as well - like myself. I now look after my spouse (again an unpaid carer) we save the government thousands of pounds - the £100 benefit could go towards our expenses.

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Careers Allowance can entitle you to extra help from benefits. Carers Allowance can lead to a Carers Premium added to a benefit claim. The Carers Premium is an extra amount added to the benefit calculation worth £34.60 a week.
Benefits like Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can includ the Carers Premium which leads to a higher benefit assessment. Most Council web sites have a link to a benefit calculator or your local CAB can work out if you are entitled to extra benefits.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well. My nephew has just received back pay due to not being paid the minimum wage. Carers should qualify for the minimum wage too. European court would support. :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry Ickihun, but it's not that simple (although I wish it were), the call for CA to at least match the minimum wage has been going on for many years. We have got precisely nowhere. There is also the fact that, if CA is awarded, the person who is cared for (Caree) has their benefits slashed! CA is classed as "earned income" - to receive it, one must provide at least 35 hours of care each week. £62.10 - earned income? Can you think of a single job where you would work those hours, often with heavy physical labour involved, and get less than £70 per week?

For those with a bit of time, here is the info from the government's own site

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/what-youll-get

I'll leave you to work out if the CA, even with the additional Carers Premium, is anything but a total insult (Yep, I'm biased).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Out of interest has it even been challenged in court?
I am interested.
A very close friend has links with a human rights commissioner for another European country and I can make some enquiries if you think they can show some light?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Out of interest has it even been challenged in court?
I am interested.
A very close friend has links with a human rights commissioner for another European country and I can make some enquiries if you think they can show some light?

Can I give you this link @ickihun ? http://www.carersuk.org/ This is the main UK charity for carers, they have been around for 50 years, so would know the ins and outs of the legalities of it all. If you do get in touch to ask them, can I suggest you email? I know the main line is always busy with carers trying to get through and not enough staff to answer.
Can I also thank you for showing an interest? Too many people (usually those who aren't long term carers) consider it a "duty" to be a carer for a family member, and that it should be the responsibility of the family. There's an awful lot of people who are sinking because they are trapped in a caring situation with no end in sight - and it can be hellish. I know, I've been there.

Thanks again xx

DEL58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance , Arrogance,

Great work Iqbal