Pump accessories

lynde89

Hi All!
I am going on the Medtronic 640g early next month. Are there any accessories anyone would recommend getting? This is the first pump I will have had so looking for some advice. I was going to see how it goes but wanted to see if there's any musts you guys recommend.
Ta, Em :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Common sense and plenty of patience are the only accessories needed :)

Reactions: 5 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you may also not have read the following books, Pumping Insulin and think like a pancreas.

They are very helpful books and will help you alot

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
before I started on the pump I did a little @Fayefaye1429 but once I had been on it I keep going back to it :)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the 640g, the only accessories I use are a smallish make up bag to carry around my spares kit (insulin vial, resevoir, mio, syringes, battery etc), some childrens socks (£3 for two pairs from a supermarket) which are heelless which I use to keep the pump in when it's in my bra (most of the time) and occasionally pants, and a waist belt (not the hid-in but similar) which I use for the gym and when playing badminton.

Also have think like a pancreas and pumping insulin, I re read chapters over again when I feel thee need.

Reactions: 5 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know everyone likes pumping insulin but to be controversial I felt it was too heavy
I thought it was useful for understanding how to transfer basal insulin amounts into the pump basal rates, but much of what is written in Pumping Insulin is stuff that you should be doing on MDI to maintain good glucose levels.

It's really a very good "Guide to managing Type 1 diabetes" with a lot of advice covering everything from how to adjust basal based on highs and lows, dealing with exercise, stress, time of the month, etc. It helps with modifying carb correction amounts, insulin carb ratios, etc. Just because the name is "Pumping Insulin", it's not really just about that. It's a manual for dealing with T1D.

What everyone, including the NHS forgets is that a pump is just another insulin delivery mechanism, and while using MDI requires injections and has less flexibility around basal insulin levels, the reality is that if you are monitoring yourself properly, you will probably run different basal doses for weekends, activity days, post activity night-time basal, etc. The difference between using MDI and a Pump is really minimal. Just because you can manage a different basal rate for different days on the pump doesn't mean that you can't and shouldn't do it on MDI. That's probably why I found the change over from MDI to pump fairly straightforward.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

In real life there are not too many diabetics like Tim2000s. Diabetes affects people from all walks of life including slightly dimwits like myself. The Pumping Insulin book is good but starts to mean more to people once they get a pump and start using it and then the info in the book slowly starts to make sense. Is it essential?........yes and no. Most of the basics of how to use a pump can be found on the web anyway.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Diabetes affects people from all walks of life including slightly dimwits like myself.
I think you're being a little unfair to yourself there... You have an encyclopaedia of Diabetes care in your head! But thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

lynde89

Thank you all! I will look into the belt.
I guess I am mainly worried about day to day wearing, but should figure that out & what would help when I get it, but your advice has helped a lot too.
Other concern is "romantic time" with the husband. I've read you can remove for up to an hour, but that would keep us to a time limit? Or I know some people continue to wear them? On one of the belts maybe?

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i sometimes leave my pump on during sex sometimes take it off, never wear it attached to anything in bed, it roams free lol. Only you can decide what works for you, at the start of pumping (9 years ago) I always took it off now it doesn't bother me as much leaving it on. It can stay off for up to an hr but if u leave it off longer u may need to correct....

lynde89

Hi Amanda. Thanks for the advice, will definitely keep that in mind.
Do you use one of the belts? They seem to be one of the things most pumped a like as its so adaptable. It's my birthday a couple days before I get my pump so am thinking of putting one on the pressie list if its worth it :).