I'm getting an Omnipod!

GLF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just very excited that after 26 years of multiple daily injections I have taken the plunge and am getting myself an Omnipod patch pump - no tubing, no injections - all controlled by a hand held remote - I can't wait. I have begun my training for the pod, and two weeks today I start!
has anyone else here tried it and do they have any tips?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
I'd never heard of the Omnipod till I read your post. Looks like a clever piece of kit! No tubes etc; gr8 for kids too. Keep us posted on how you get on with it and congratulations!
Jus :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought the Omnipod was only available in the US, are you in the UK? and is this being funded by the NHS or are you funding privately? It's a great looking pump which would be ideal for kids. We're hoping to get our daughter onto a pump sometime in the near future so if the omnipod is available in the UK with NHS funding I'd be really interested to know.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Sophia,
The Omnipod is available on the NHS in some areas. Here's the contact details for Ypsomed, they'll be able to give you more info and tell you whether your local hospital is funding the pump.
http://www.mylife-diabetescare.co.uk/contact.html
Jus

GLF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sophia - Yes the Omnipod is now available in the UK. I am getting mine through London medical. I know if I had a child with Diabetes I would certainly look at this. It is revolutionary and will certainly make a huge difference to control. It is a very clever pod and improvements are being made all the time. The doctors I have spoken too can't rate it highly enough. Any way I am self funding but after the initial layout it will be about £3k a year to have this. Insulin and the test strips which are needed are still on the NHS. But I think its worth it. I was really stuggling on lantus and having hypos all the time. what price a healthy future??

ZACNEMMA

Hi

How is it going with the Omnipod?
My son is hopefully going to pump with it. We have a demonstration/introduction in a couple of weeks. Looks great

Emma

GLF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh my God Emma it is just great!! I have had it two and a half weeks now. It is just so easy and painfree and I love the fact I can bolus when I'm walking down the street. It has reduced my insulin need by nearly a third , which is great. My control is much tighter and so easy to correct highs, or snack. It has a great feature which tells you how much insulin you currrently have in your system, it can store all my favourite foods and their carb ratios so if I fancy a gingernut, i tell the control I am having one and it will deliver the right amount of insulin based on carbs, insulin I have on board and BG.
It is so easy to wear, I have worn it in the bath, to a posh evening dinner and sleeping is no problem. I find on my upper arm is most comfortable.

I am sure you will be impressed at the demo night. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself and I will NEVER go back to all those injections and the inaccuracy that comes with them.

Good luck to you and your son - do tell me how it all goes x

ZACNEMMA

Hi

Life with your pod sounds liberating-makes me more determined.

I went to the omni-pod intro on tuesday. I was very keen on the pod before and now I am certain it's the pump for Zac.... However there is alot of hurdles as the "reactive" primary care trust have still not confirmed that Zac can even have a pump, let alone the amazing pod.
Seems wrong that we were invited for intro when he is still waiting funding. Anyway rant over.

So so glad to hear that you are embracing your new lease of life. I will let you know how Zac and I get on. Happy pumping xxx

NiallMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the Omnipod give you suggestions for corrections doses? and also is the pump as flawed as it used to be?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Does the Omnipod give you suggestions for corrections doses? and also is the pump as flawed as it used to be?
This thread is almost 6 years old, you might be better off looking in the pump forum :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yes it has a bolus calculator built in. What were the flaws btw, I started on the Omnipod Pump nearly a year ago and can't fault it (although I've no experience of using another pump as this is my first).

Reactions: 2 people

kimlouise1502_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just very excited that after 26 years of multiple daily injections I have taken the plunge and am getting myself an Omnipod patch pump - no tubing, no injections - all controlled by a hand held remote - I can't wait. I have begun my training for the pod, and two weeks today I start!
has anyone else here tried it and do they have any tips?

kimlouise1502_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't got this but I have seen alot people taking about this. How did you get this as I have been t1 for 38 years and having a diabetic meltdown and I think this would be good for me too

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't got this but I have seen alot people taking about this. How did you get this as I have been t1 for 38 years and having a diabetic meltdown and I think this would be good for me too

Hi Kim - You've responded to a very old thread here. so you may not get too many, if any responses, from the original posters, although @noblehead is still an active participant on the forum.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people