More Essiac Tea Vicar?

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi all,
Has anybody tried Essiac tea?. It's supposed to stop diabetes in it's tracks.
I know that the claims are probably horse s**t, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

cheers,
timo.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I can't see that it would stop diabetes in it's tracks otherwise we'd all be on it but it has been around for a while as a naturopathic medicine used in cancer treatments.

ChocFish

Side effects of this tea are that it lowers blood glucose, there are also other side effects such as diarrhoea, nausea, etc and people with kidney or liver problems must not touch it, I think we should stick to cinnamon and fenugreek...?

sixfoot

Chocfish just wandering through the threads ( must get a life !!) noticed you mentioned Fenugreek. I have heard of the Plant but didnt know it had any effect on diabetes .

Dave P

sixfoot

Karen thanks for the link, i have also been dabbling with Cinnamon and do find it helps. The reckomended doseage appears to be 1 tsp per day how do you determine on what and when ?

Dave P

ChocFish

Hi again Dave

I am not so strict when it comes to measuring the cinnamon, I just take it twice a day, every day, roughly half a teaspoon morning and evening, sometimes probably a bit more though, for example I had some stewed apples today (I love it cold from the fridge, ever so refreshing) and i put in cinnamon, bit of lemon, etc, I put it into my green tea, on cereal, etc

I havent taken fenugreek though, my bg is steady, so much so that my GP, who sent me last year for another glucose tolerance test that came out as 9.7, is no longer sending me for the Hb1ac test, I still have it done though. I think, but cant be sure of course that its either the oils or the cinnamon or my diet that is keeping me steady and helped insulin resistance, or maybe a combination of all of them as well as the other things that I do for myself, still uneasy about it all even after all this time, bubbles do burst eventually dont they, I darent get too cocky.

All the best Dave

Karen

sixfoot

Karen like you i am treading this path carefully but it seems to be working so am keeping going ( what else to do ??) The bursting bubble is a concern because i really couldnt face some Health expert grilling with " i told you so " or " you wouldnt listen". You pays your money i suppose.

Dave P

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I take about half a teaspoon on my weetabix in the morning then a cinnamon tablet with my lunch and dinner(or dinner and tea if you're like me!)Fenugreek is often used in curries and I'm sure there way a study done about Indian cooking and diabetes.

sixfoot

Thnx Sue, the bit that got me a bit shaky was when i found the cinnamon side effects blog. Which do you find more effective the Powder or the Caps and in what strength do you prefer ?
Dave P

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Well I take about half a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon in the morning and the tabs are 500mg each.My BS seems relatively stable during the day so they both appear to be effective with me anyway.

sixfoot

Well sue as you know im on Byetta and been talking to dennis cos the weight was kind of in limbo for 2/3 wks but today Wham 4.5lbs to the Good and BS is on the Mark. This is the bit that has me twitching over the Cinnamon. The bit about wieght reduction and its effect on resistance if its right is a definite posibility now and hence i may be able at a time not too distant dump a lot of the Meds and do it another way.

PS one should always have ambition ??????????? :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
'They' reckon that if you lose 10% of your body weight(that is if you are overweight!) It has a great effect on insulin resistance.I think I did lose 10% and it did indeed make a great difference not only to my BS but my blood pressure as well.

sixfoot

Sue definitely got some to spare, reckon if i can get down to anywhere under 17 that will be sustainable. At 6`4 and generally big boned anything less would almost be anorexic :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
God,if I was 17 stone you'd have to roll me everywhere!! :lol: :lol: but then I'm only 5 foot 4inch.

sixfoot

At my recent review on Byetta which is a group thing - i did admit to feeling a bit of a fraud. A good part of the group M/F was what you would call Obese/ V Obese !! with declared BS figuers to match. Short sharp shock if you like but the success ive had and seeing where it could go has made me more determined than ever to get it dealt with.

5`4" ------- I was that high when i was 9 --------------54now :D