Doctor confirmed off the scale reading and need help with

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Well done @amgrundy your BG levels are fabulous! And all achieved in 4 weeks! you are a star. Hope that your story inspires @jziggy
I have a similar story once I started low carbing my blood sugar dropped into the normal range very quickly. Good luck @jziggy sounds like you're well on your way to low BG levels already. X
Thank you 13 lizanne

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Thank you for the messages above, RE: Off the scale. I only know what my doctor told me he said it was very high, and that I was Type 2 diabetic and put me on Metformin 500mg. Eat healthy and sent me to a diabetic nurse, she gave me a monitor and strips, she more or less said she would not have given me a monitor but the doctor told her too. She said eat healthy and come back to see her. She will give me a flu jab as I was bad with flu over Christmas and New Year if I had not gone to the doctors at Christmas I would never had known I would have put everything down to the flu.

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ziggy I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with a reading [ off the scale ] 19.3 now 4 weeks later with controlling diet 7.1 this morning. I eat bran flakes and blueberries for breakfast and alternate it with poached egg 1 slice of dry cured bacon, grilled tomatoes. Lunch rivitas with low fat cheese spread or cottage cheese lots of salad including red peppers Dinners chicken fish tuna mackeral etc with plenty veg. No sugar in tea drink coffee [black] everyone on here eats different things too, what suits one might not suit another but just giving you examples of what works for me. Hardly eaten any potatoes never eaten rice [ not a lover] eat melon regulary.
Wow 19.3 ! Well after that I feel so much better as although I was not told what my reading was, I did my first reading today after just one week and it was 9.1 which I know is not good but if I was off the scale a week ago, I must be doing something right ! I will start again fresh in the morning now without food and see how I go, testing before and after food Thank you for the food examples, boy do I need them as I haven't a clue at the moment what I am doing ha ha

Reactions: 4 people

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think this 'off the scale' comment by medical professionals is highly UNprofessional. And dramatic. And nonsensical.

A reading of 19mmol/l is nowhere near 'off the scale', since home meters usually go up to 30 or 33 mmol/l as standard! Readings higher than that come back as 'Hi' and the manual recommends the user contact their doctor.

In the UK doctors regularly see people with reading in the high 20s, and send them home with metformin, or an appointment the next week. We see these people turn up on the forum regularly. It isn't ideal, but it happens.

What I suspect is that the medical professional in question was looking at a chart that stopped at lower figures. But that doesn't mean that higher figures are not possible, and often exist on other charts.

Such readings are not ideal, and they should be reduced by diet, exercise or medication. But there really is no need for such an absurdly melodramatic beside manner.

'off the scale' indeed.

*wanders off muttering indignantly at such ridiculous scaremongering*
Thank you for your thoughts, I feel so much better ! I was petrified of checking my blood myself after being told I was off the scale and cannot believe I came away without a number. 9.1 this morning after breakfast, although it took me a good hour to pluck up the courage to do it. Not ideal i know from looking on here, but not as bad as I first thought :)

Reactions: 4 people

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you having tests to confirm you are definitely type2???
I have to go back to the Doctor in May after taking 2000mg Meformin a day and he will discuss further. Hoping to lose 2 stone before I see him so fingers crossed !

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Ziggy I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with a reading [ off the scale ] 19.3 now 4 weeks later with controlling diet 7.1 this morning. I eat bran flakes and blueberries for breakfast and alternate it with poached egg 1 slice of dry cured bacon, grilled tomatoes. Lunch rivitas with low fat cheese spread or cottage cheese lots of salad including red peppers Dinners chicken fish tuna mackeral etc with plenty veg. No sugar in tea drink coffee [black] everyone on here eats different things too, what suits one might not suit another but just giving you examples of what works for me. Hardly eaten any potatoes never eaten rice [ not a lover] eat melon regulary.
I found bran flakes one of the worst breakfasts for spiking my blood glucose.

Reactions: 6 people

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found bran flakes one of the worst breakfasts for spiking my blood glucose.
That's ok, I hate bran flakes anyway and I was told to stay away from cereal altogether from the pharmacist where I got my meter. I find breakfast the most difficult meal of the day when at work.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this 'off the scale' comment by medical professionals is highly UNprofessional. And dramatic. And nonsensical.

A reading of 19mmol/l is nowhere near 'off the scale', since home meters usually go up to 30 or 33 mmol/l as standard! Readings higher than that come back as 'Hi' and the manual recommends the user contact their doctor.

In the UK doctors regularly see people with reading in the high 20s, and send them home with metformin, or an appointment the next week. We see these people turn up on the forum regularly. It isn't ideal, but it happens.

What I suspect is that the medical professional in question was looking at a chart that stopped at lower figures. But that doesn't mean that higher figures are not possible, and often exist on other charts.

Such readings are not ideal, and they should be reduced by diet, exercise or medication. But there really is no need for such an absurdly melodramatic beside manner.

'off the scale' indeed.

*wanders off muttering indignantly at such ridiculous scaremongering*

Couldn't agree more @Brunneria For all those members thinking omg my BG is 10 or over .I could post you my last weeks readings and there isn't one less than 20mmol and yesterdays was 29.1mmol.The doctors hardly bat an eyelid ,they just up your insulin or Metformin and send you on your merry way .Been high for months and months and all they've done is mess about with different meds .I'd managed to get it down to around 12mmol by fasting and following advice from certain members here but for some weird reason it shot up just before Christmas and has stayed up yet again *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Now you see this is why we are getting mixed messages on what to eat, my diabetic nurse told me to eat cereal, now after the comment about bran flakes I am not so sure.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Now you see this is why we are getting mixed messages on what to eat, my diabetic nurse told me to eat cereal, now after the comment about bran flakes I am not so sure.

It seems to be a very personal thing .Some foods spike you, others don't ,and it's different for each of us .That's the benefit of testing before and after meals .It lets you know what shoots you up .

This programme is quite interesting .This was posted on another thread about the possible interaction of stomach bacteria to blood sugars .http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...on-weight-and-not-others-and-can-we-change-it

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
It seems to be a very personal thing .Some foods spike you, others don't ,and it's different for each of us .That's the benefit of testing before and after meals .It lets you know what shoots you up .

This programme is quite interesting .This was posted on another thread about the possible interaction of stomach bacteria to blood sugars .http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...on-weight-and-not-others-and-can-we-change-it
HI thanks for the link above will read it

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Couldn't agree more @Brunneria For all those members thinking omg my BG is 10 or over .I could post you my last weeks readings and there isn't one less than 20 and yesterdays was 29.1 .The doctors hardly bat an eyelid ,they just up your insulin or Metformin and send you on your merry way .Been high for months and months and all they've done is mess about with different meds .I'd managed to get it down to around 12 by fasting and following advice from certain members here but for some weird reason it shot up just before Christmas and has stayed up yet again *sigh*

I would think it might be time for a GAD and C peptide to see if maybe you progressed to needing insulin? That is what happened to me. Went from 85-100 fastings for years and overnight popped up over 200 and couldn't bring it down for anything.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
JZiggy,
I could not eat bran or any cereals at all. I will just give you my standard meal plan as an example. You can fill the holes in with your favorite proteins and veggies as well as fats.
BF is guacamole with celery and radish. (whole smashed avocado and sea salt, nothing fancy)
L is about 2 oz turkey, shrimp, egg salad or some other protein, and a good handful of green beans and some sauted mushrooms with EVOO or mayo depending and a few raw veg
Dinner is usually 3 o tuna, salmon or some other fish, a handful of broccoli or asparagus and a few raw veggies all topped with EVOO or mayo.
I will snack on a few nuts when need be but they tend to make me hungrier and over indulge so they are off the menu for now.
I don't eat any grains, starches (potato, rice, root veg) sugar/sweeteners, DAIRY, legumes (other than green beans) or fruit.
I do drink a glass or two of red wine with dinner (SSSHHHHH)
My ideal diet is Very low carb, moderate (about 5 oz ) protein and 80% fat. I love tuna, salmon and egg salad with mayo and a side of veggies.
My main foods are celery radish mushrooms scallions green beans broccoli asparagus cauliflower and various lettuces
tuna egg turkey chicken shrimp salmon cod tilapia and occasionally beef or lamb
My main fats are EVOO mayo olives avocado
My FAVORITE and most stabilizing BS food is AVOCADO! I gotta have it for BF everyday or I'm a wreck, LOL

As others have said many eat differently and have different goals. I'm not sure anyone can argue that any of these foods are bad for BS but I may hear differently.

Good luck and good job for taking it seriously. It does become easier once you find a routine. I tend to eat the same way everyday. It takes a lot of the thinking and figuring out

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think it might be time for a GAD and C peptide to see if maybe you progressed to needing insulin? That is what happened to me. Went from 85-100 fastings for years and overnight popped up over 200 and couldn't bring it down for anything.

I'm already taking Insulin Kristin.Have been for some time .It IS time for me to ask them to change it rather than keep upping it .I'm already taking 100ml morning and night :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm already taking Insulin Kristin.Have been for some time .It IS time for me to ask them to change it rather than keep upping it .I'm already taking 100ml morning and night :)

Sorry, what does 100ml convert to in US? Are you bolus/ basal? Numbers seem high for that no?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, what does 100ml convert to in US? Are you bolus/ basal? Numbers seem high for that no?
I'm using Novamix 30 Flexi pen Kristen it's a mixture of both Basal and Bolus .It isn't clear what the exact measurement is as it is pre filled and I turn my dial to 50 units of insulin and press but my diabetic consultant wants to add another injection .I started on 20 but they have just kept upping it for all the good it's done . This has measurements but they are as clear as mud :) http://www.medbroadcast.com/drug/getdrug/NovoMix-30

Last edited by a moderator:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have yet to speak to a person who was well controlled on mixed insulin. It sounds downright dangerous to be honest.

Btw, 100ml is 100ml no matter which country you're in :p

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have yet to speak to a person who was well controlled on mixed insulin. It sounds downright dangerous to be honest.

Btw, 100ml is 100ml no matter which country you're in :p

:D I thought they were but with the difference in the USA measuring system for Diabetics I wasn't sure . Yes it's absolutely rubbish .I've just had my "annual review " and asked for it to be changed but somehow managed to leave without an alternative ,hmmm .My Hba1c was rubbish again at 106 .

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
100 units of either or both seem quite high especially coupled with your BS. Maybe ask for a separate basal bolus? I could never control with basal randomly peaking etc. I like to be able to keep basal the same and inject for meals and corrections. I can see where mixed would be a problem.

Ok bad/dumb question but what does your A1C convert to in US? Sounds very high and that they are not looking after your best interest?