Doctor confirmed off the scale reading and need help with

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
100 units of either or both seem quite high especially coupled with your BS. Maybe ask for a separate basal bolus? I could never control with basal randomly peaking etc. I like to be able to keep basal the same and inject for meals and corrections. I can see where mixed would be a problem.

Ok bad/dumb question but what does your A1C convert to in US? Sounds very high and that they are not looking after your best interest?

Mine was high from the start Kristin but obviously I tried the meds first but Metformin wasn't for me .One of my problems is I have other health problems which all require medications that seem to be listed as having an effect on Insulin .Thiazides ect .My lowest readings were when I read Dr Fung on the fasting post here and started fasting .I got them as low as 9.1 mm one day but just before Christmas my stomach started playing up and since then I've been off my food but my BS. have shot back up :-( Seems to be average 16.5 but that was two weeks ago and doesn't correspond with my readings on my meter for the last two weeks .I need it back down ,I feel like hell .

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1453999605.940320.jpg

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you eating when not fasting? Fasting only helped my BS when I was T2. I think I do best with 3 injections of FA a day even if I eat small meal I need the steady stream of insulin. I certainly can't fast in the morning. Best time for me would be to skip lunch and eat BF and dinner but the results are insignificant
This must be very frustrating for you.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
100 units of either or both seem quite high especially coupled with your BS. Maybe ask for a separate basal bolus? I could never control with basal randomly peaking etc. I like to be able to keep basal the same and inject for meals and corrections. I can see where mixed would be a problem.

Ok bad/dumb question but what does your A1C convert to in US? Sounds very high and that they are not looking after your best interest?
Kristin, it is a lot of insulin but not unheard of for someone with very advanced type two. 100 units is 1/3rd of an insulin pen just like our 3ml pens here in the US.

We definitely agree about the basal/bolus change. The only possible way you could be well regulated on mixed insulin would be to eat the same things in the same quantities at the same times each day, and what kind of life is that?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty up on my diet .I grow veg and eat clean and watch my carbs .That's the frustrating part .I'm in jeans I haven't worn for four years and my appetite is zilch .I lost 9kg over Christmas and had been feeling much better up until early December and had a stable bg of around 11/12 mmol throughout the day which was pretty good for me and now it's right back in the 20's .So demoralising.

Reading around on here I'm going to see if Afrezza is being rolled out here yet .

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you eating when not fasting? Fasting only helped my BS when I was T2. I think I do best with 3 injections of FA a day even if I eat small meal I need the steady stream of insulin. I certainly can't fast in the morning. Best time for me would be to skip lunch and eat BF and dinner but the results are insignificant
This must be very frustrating for you.

I'm a real fan of Dr Jason Fung so was fasting 24 hours twice a week and I felt amazing .

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
wow! a pen lasts me 30 days. Something is not right with this picture! I admit I am completely dense on this conversion thing but this doe snot seem right with that amount of insulin and BS is around 200? Am I reading that right? I can't see how a basal bolus treatment could make things any worse

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a real fan of Dr Jason Fung so was fasting 24 hours twice a week and I felt amazing .

I'm pretty up on my diet .I grow veg and eat clean and watch my carbs .That's the frustrating part .I'm in jeans I haven't worn for four years and my appetite is zilch .I lost 9kg over Christmas and had been feeling much better up until early December

I loved fasting though never 24 hours. I like food too much. I would not eat until 2 and then just a light / small lunch at 2 and same for dinner around 6. Felt great but now if I don't eat/take insulin in the morning I just go up so if I am going to go up any way I would like to eat some food, haha. Though I do prefer a vegetarian BF and animal / fish protein lunch and dinner but small amounts.

The weight loss is scaring me. I was down to 96 #'s and completely malnourished. You appear to be very insulin resistant. Any and all grains, dairy and nuts make me IR. If I eat any of these I see BG levels raise for a few days and then my receptors seem to open and I am back on track. What do you think of ditching dairy for a bit? It is claimed to be highly insulinogenic. And any food 'intolerances' you may have can do the same thing. What do you estimate your daily carb total?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow! a pen lasts me 30 days. Something is not right with this picture! I admit I am completely dense on this conversion thing but this doe snot seem right with that amount of insulin and BS is around 200? Am I reading that right? I can't see how a basal bolus treatment could make things any worse
I'm sure you are reading that right. There are several people on this forum and others I frequent that need more than 250-300 units per day. That's what makes type 2 treatment so difficult.

U-500 insulin and 80+ unit single dose pens exist for a reason: people need them. I'm very lucky to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have to inject in half unit increments. That's why it's so important not to compare yourself to other people. We each need what we need, there is no "standard."

Reactions: 6 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you are reading that right. There are several people on this forum and others I frequent that need more than 250-300 units per day. That's what makes type 2 treatment so difficult.

U-500 insulin and 80+ unit single dose pens exist for a reason: people need them. I'm very lucky to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have to inject in half unit increments. That's why it's so important not to compare yourself to other people. We each need what we need, there is no "standard."

I apologize if I sounded like I was comparing but I guess I was. I would be SO dead. Can you explain why a T2 would struggle more than a T1 and need even more insulin? Couldn't IR be reversed with an appropriate diet ? And as a T2 with exercise? As a T1 I don't really want to mess with the hypo/hypers with intense exercise. I like to stick with yoga and walking and don't need to fear lows or inject for highs. too old for that, haha. I seriously don't understand why a T2 would require a different regime than a T1 with insulin and diet?
In Susies case I understand the effects of the other meds. I had to take just 1 corticosteroid for 1 night for an adrenal test and I popped way up.
I too need a 1/2 unit pen and I wish Lantus would make one

I am not trying to be dense but very interested why T2's can require higher doses than T's

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok this is what I did.

After reading about ten books and loitering about on here I started with the GL diet and thought that would be enough to make a difference, then I got a meter. What a shock!!

So-called good carbs were really causing me to spike but if have never have known this if it weren't for someone suggesting I test before, after one hour and again at two hours to really get an idea of what foods were doing to me. That resulted with me deciding to quit carbs of all kinds and just get my intake from veg.

It's a real pain but I then started to test EVERYTHING I ate and then built my own menu options based on my reading.

It worked and my fasting bg (that's the one taken upon waking) came right down.

It's shocking how the NHS advises patients. You should have been referred to 'the expert' course which is supposed to give advice for controlling diabetes. Personally, I didn't rate it at all but some people get good ones running it.

Have a look at www.dietdoctor.com and YouTube Jason Fung - reversing T2. Very interesting and easy to do. And if you find brekkie hard, then it's perfect!!

You're in the right place. Your doctor is clearly a drama queen with his off the scale comment....

Best of luck xxx

Reactions: 5 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I apologize if I sounded like I was comparing but I guess I was. I would be SO dead. Can you explain why a T2 would struggle more than a T1 and need even more insulin? Couldn't IR be reversed with an appropriate diet ? And as a T2 with exercise? As a T1 I don't really want to mess with the hypo/hypers with intense exercise. I like to stick with yoga and walking and don't need to fear lows or inject for highs. too old for that, haha. I seriously don't understand why a T2 would require a different regime than a T1 with insulin and diet?
Well, as Im sure you know, type 1 and 2 are completely different diseases.

Yes, some people can reverse the effects of their t2 diabetes and even reverse their insulin resistance. However, it's not always as easy as simple "Diet and exercise."

There are marathon runners, body builders, and professional athletes with type 2 diabetes. These are some of the most active people in the world with some of the most advanced nutrition plans. It's just not always that easy.

Some people have issues with fatty livers which can literally mean only 1 gram of fat causing the issue, other people have difficulty with their cells' ability to utilize insulin, some may have other issues or a combination of many problems.

Reactions: 4 people

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok this is what I did.

After reading about ten books and loitering about on here I started with the GL diet and thought that would be enough to make a difference, then I got a meter. What a shock!!

So-called good carbs were really causing me to spike but if have never have known this if it weren't for someone suggesting I test before, after one hour and again at two hours to really get an idea of what foods were doing to me. That resulted with me deciding to quit carbs of all kinds and just get my intake from veg.

It's a real pain but I then started to test EVERYTHING I ate and then built my own menu options based on my reading.

It's shocking how the NHS advises patients. You should have been referred to 'the expert' course which is supposed to give advice for controlling diabetes. Personally, I didn't rate it at all but some people get good ones running it.

Have a look at www.dietdoctor.com and YouTube Jason Fung - reversing T2. Very interesting and easy to do. And if you find brekkie hard, then it's perfect!!

You're in the right place. Your doctor is clearly a drama queen with his off the scale comment....

Best of luck xxx
Thank you for your advice, I will check out diet doctor and Jason Fung later today and let you know how I get on x

Best of luck xxx[/QUOTE]

[I too need a 1/2 unit pen and I wish Lantus would make one]

I managed to get hold of re-usable echo pen (discontinued i think but stocks still left) from helpful D nurse, does half units and Lantus make cartridges for them. Changing by full units had too much effect on me.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey jziggy, I think you are on the right track.My best advice is to stick with us here on this forum.Many new posters have been wrestling with diabetes for some time, and comment on how glad they are to have finally found the forum.You have been lucky enough to find us just when diagnosed.This was my experience too, and I am so glad it worked out that way.
Like many of us you have had a less than satisfactory response from your health care practitioners.This sadly seems to be typical.But fear not all the knowledge and support is right here.
I was diagnosed type 2 in mid July 2015 random test 13.7 mmol and fasting 11.4 mmol resulting hb1Ac 75. I was using the forum every day to learn about my condition,I read a LOT. LCHF seemed a no brainier to me and three months after low carbing I was in for an hb1Ac result 42 which is basically normal.
I remember how confusing and just how downright unfair it seemed, I had a particularly bad supermarket experience,realising that 90% was off limits.But you just have to be inventive and there are low carb alternatives for almost everything.When you try one and it doesn't spike you it is high fives all round!!

So keep testing, keep a food diary,check out recipes here,the what have you eaten today thread is brilliant,and so is the thread for success stories,great to keep you motivated.

It will be fine,stick with us.

Reactions: 6 people

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey jziggy, I think you are on the right track.My best advice is to stick with us here on this forum.Many new posters have been wrestling with diabetes for some time, and comment on how glad they are to have finally found the forum.You have been lucky enough to find us just when diagnosed.This was my experience too, and I am so glad it worked out that way.
Like many of us you have had a less than satisfactory response from your health care practitioners.This sadly seems to be typical.But fear not all the knowledge and support is right here.
I was diagnosed type 2 in mid July 2015 random test 13.7 mmol and fasting 11.4 mmol resulting hb1Ac 75. I was using the forum every day to learn about my condition,I read a LOT. LCHF seemed a no brainier to me and three months after low carbing I was in for an hb1Ac result 42 which is basically normal.
I remember how confusing and just how downright unfair it seemed, I had a particularly bad supermarket experience,realising that 90% was off limits.But you just have to be inventive and there are low carb alternatives for almost everything.When you try one and it doesn't spike you it is high fives all round!!

So keep testing, keep a food diary,check out recipes here,the what have you eaten today thread is brilliant,and so is the thread for success stories,great to keep you motivated.

It will be fine,stick with us.
I won't be going anywhere as this site is fabulous for people like us and thank you for responding. I am slowly checking out all the new and old posts and learning all the time so hopefully before long I will understand Diabetes a lot better. I will be taking notes to the Doctor's with me next time I go and hopefully will be a lot slimmer :)