Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Hey everyone,

My DSN has offered me the opportunity to potentially take part in a trial to examine the effectiveness of type 1s using an SGLT2 Inhibitor medication in conjunction with insulin therapy. Apparently this medication is a relatively new generation of medication used to treat T2 patients, but could potentially be valuable to T1s.

I've had a blood test to see whether my current a1c falls in the range to qualify to take part so should hear relatively soon. Has anyone (T2 or T1) had any experience with this medication?

Description on Diabetes UK website look very interesting

SGLT2 Inhibitors work in the following ways:

• Reducing the amount of glucose being absorbed in the kidneys so that it is passed out in the urine.
  • Reducing the amount of glucose in your blood.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't like the idea of peeing glucose out. I don't think we understand the effect on our kidneys properly of this.

TIMOFNC3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maxy, I'm in a similar research trial in the U.S. The study is double-blinded, and I don't know if I'm on true medication or placebo. I'm in my 3rd month of the trial and don't notice any difference, so it's possible I am receiving placebo.
The concept is, that the threshold for glucose tolerance in the kidneys raises over the years. The medication lowers the threshold and helps to eliminate glucose from the body through the kidneys. There is some suggestion that insulin doses can be reduced, and that the medication has some built-in potential for weight loss. This is how I understood the concept.

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
I don't like the idea of peeing glucose out. I don't think we understand the effect on our kidneys properly of this.
I'd be inclined to have the same doubt/suspicion - I read that this can have a negative impact on urinary tract also, leading to urinary infections amongst other things.

Maxy, I'm in a similar research trial in the U.S. The study is double-blinded, and I don't know if I'm on true medication or placebo. I'm in my 3rd month of the trial and don't notice any difference, so it's possible I am receiving placebo.
The concept is, that the threshold for glucose tolerance in the kidneys raises over the years. The medication lowers the threshold and helps to eliminate glucose from the body through the kidneys. There is some suggestion that insulin doses can be reduced, and that the medication has some built-in potential for weight loss. This is how I understood the concept.
Thanks for your reply TIMOFNC3, if you could let me know the outcome after the trial is complete- I'd be very interested to hear.

How high was your BG or A1c1? Was this considered? Are you on insulin? How were you selected?
Unfortunately, despite getting in touch and asking my DSN forgot to ask me and never gave me back the results. They also forgot about even asking me in the first place. I was originally asked in quite a casual manner, being told my eligibility to participate would be dependent on whether my a1c was higher than it should be- I'm T1 on insulin yes.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I asked my consultant about the potential of trying one of these meds last september and he said no.
not suitable for me as a long term T1
( he is the head of dept )

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I asked my consultant about the potential of trying one of these meds last september and he said no.
not suitable for me as a long term T1
( he is the head of dept )

Hi himtoo, did your consultant give you a reason why it wouldn't be suitable for a long tine T1 ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi RRB-- no not really -- he just said it wouldn't be suitable -- He has been the leading research consultant at my hospital for many years so I took his answer as being evidence based rather than a dismissive "no"
( i am wanting to lose a bit of weight :) )

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi RRB-- no not really -- he just said it wouldn't be suitable -- He has been the leading research consultant at my hospital for many years so I took his answer as being evidence based rather than a dismissive "no"
( i am wanting to lose a bit of weight :) )

Thanks himtoo :)

Shaolindan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm currently doing this trial. It seems to have really made a difference in my control. I don't get any of the spikes in my readings that I used to. It is double blind but talking to the consultant he said it is fairly obvious when you and on it, in fact he can accurate predict the dosage too.

I have been T1 since Jan 1990. I am currently on a pump - 640g.

Reactions: 2 people

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife is a type 2 diabetic and has been for about 8 years. She is in her 50's and is a little overweight. She was given the
Forxiga tablets about 6 weeks ago. She had her diabetic check yesterday and had managed to lose just over half a stone without even dieting or doing anything different.

She advised that for the first week or so, she did pee a little more often than normal but since then her peeing has been back to normal