Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you are worried and don't want to wait for results to come back, how about going to the pharmacy and picking up a cheap blood glucose monitor?
You can often get one for under £15 without a prescription, and typically they come with 10 strips and a finger pricker.
That way you could find out in a matter of minutes. Of course if the result is normal it doesn't prove anything and you should still follow up with your doctor, but in case it is running sky high, as might be the case if you actually are undiagnosed T1, then you know to get to the hospital.

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
If you are worried and don't want to wait for results to come back, how about going to the pharmacy and picking up a cheap blood glucose monitor?
You can often get one for under £15 without a prescription, and typically they come with 10 strips and a finger pricker.
That way you could find out in a matter of minutes. Of course if the result is normal it doesn't prove anything and you should still follow up with your doctor, but in case it is running sky high, as might be the case if you actually are undiagnosed T1, then you know to get to the hospital.
That's such a good idea! Thanks! I may do that as I drank alcohol last night which I very rarely do because it makes me get ill, and have woken up cold, pale, shakey, sicky and extrmely weak:( what counts as too high or too low??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Things they may not tell me?:') like what?:')
awww!! bless hun !:)
it is nothing to worry about ! @urbanracer just meant that all of us with our experience can help because we all live with Diabetes and sometimes doctors don't always spend the time to really help you know the things you need to know to live with this.
all the daily things to do with testing blood and eating and stuff ! Don't worry though :)

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
it is nothing to worry about ! @urbanracer just meant that all of us with our experience can help because we all live with Diabetes and sometimes doctors don't always spend the time to really help you know the things you need to know to live with this.
all the daily things to do with testing blood and eating and stuff ! Don't worry though :)
Thanks:') any advice you have would be appreciated?:) I hopefully get my results tomorrow so that'll be scary:( if it came back positive, what happens then?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Things they may not tell me?:') like what?:')

Yes agreed, @himtoo has hit the nail on the head. All I meant was that your healthcare providers are unlikely to be diabetics themselves and the standard NHS advice may be viewed as one-size-fits-all policy that might work for you, it might not.

But @JordanMarie , you are still worrying when your symptoms have not been confirmed so please try to forget this until you know exactly what's going on.
Thank you for your message! The tiredness definitely rings a bell! I even nap in the day...and 17 year olds shouldn't be napping-.-

Teenagers do get tiredness, your body is using up the available energy by growing - this affects boys more than girls - from memory :) And the body typically goes through growth 'spurts' even though you may not realise it at the time.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @JordanMarie
it is hard to say completely for sure. with your age ( teen) i would hope you would be referred straight to hospital to the children / young adult Diabetic department and they would give you all the equipment and some education and help to get you started.

for the time being can't really say any more until you actually have results ( and I know it is hard not to worry but try your best please :) )

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Please forgive me for jumping in here but I'm experiencing issues now & to be honest I was scared witless but now only scared. Things have been dropping into place but you never know. I too had an insatiable thirst which kept on for about 2-weeks plus a dry mouth. That all passed by without too much worry but one morning I woke up and my eyes were blurry & I put this down to waking up. However, 1 1/2 weeks later I still have blurred vision. Writing this I have 2 pairs of glasses on so that I can see the text. A few days ago I went to Specsavers to ask for assistance and was offered an appointment later in the day. I couldn't make that so said I'll go to a different Optician. Specsavers didn't look at my eyes but told me to go immediately to A&E. I asked why? could I drive? was I about to drop dead? only to be told that if I went to the later appointment the Optician would explain it to me. I went to Vision Express and their Optician actually came and spoke to me and explained that it was highly likely that my new diet had affected by blood sugar levels. He was surprised about having to go to A&E but told me to contact my Doctor who was equally surprised. Anyway, the upshot is that I'm in the Doctors tomorrow for a blood test.

I'm 59 years old and classed as obese but I do exercise a lot as I have a large allotment. I do eat all the lovely fresh veg & fruit but have recently gone over to Paleolithic eating which means I've cut out a substantial amount of carbs, sugars, etc. According to the second Optician this is the cause of my blurred vision. I did have a very painful neck and headaches which all concentrated my fears but I was able to cure that when I discovered that my pillow was incorrect and that's where that pain was coming from. 1 night with a proper pillow and 95% of that pain has gone.

The reason I'm writing all of this is that it's ok to be scared but it's important to be able to talk to others and that's why I come to this site. At the moment I'm not Diabetic diagnosed but that could all change in the next couple of weeks. So for the young Lady who was writing on here with being scared, me to love and I don't scare easily. Thank you all for your comfort and advice.

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your support, I really appreciate it! I got my results back today and she said that my results were too high so they are doing a glucose tolerance test on Wednesday! If someone could explain this to me I'd be really grateful? I know the basics of the test but like - how quickly will I know? - is this a test for type 1 or 2? Could this be type 2? I am 17, eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and am a healthy weight? Cholesterol, blood pressure etc. Everything Normal! Please help!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your support, I really appreciate it! I got my results back today and she said that my results were too high so they are doing a glucose tolerance test on Wednesday! If someone could explain this to me I'd be really grateful? I know the basics of the test but like - how quickly will I know? - is this a test for type 1 or 2? Could this be type 2? I am 17, eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and am a healthy weight? Cholesterol, blood pressure etc. Everything Normal! Please help!

Hi @JordanMarie ,

Look at this page,

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @JordanMarie

Did they check for ketones? Does anyone think you have the smell of pear drops or nail polish remover on your breath?