Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Going on a 5 day DAFNE course on 7th March and wondered if any type 2 on insulin has been on this course and how did you find it?

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are you sure its the DAFNE course @Cumberland? Thought this was just for people with type 1 diabetes.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you sure its the DAFNE course @Cumberland? Thought this was just for people with type 1 diabetes.
Hi Noblehead

Yes it's the DAFNE course over 5 days
My diabetic team at hospital recommended it because I am in my ideal weight (not overweight or obese) they think I am insulin resistant to a certain degree, currently I inject 2 X Humulin @ 140 units at 10am and 10pm plus Novorapid with meals which varies depending on what I eat
Just begun carb counting

They think I will benefit even though I am type 2

Reactions: 7 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
The DAFNE course has been mentioned to me too, if my HbA1c levels don't improve my consultant said carb counting and basal/bolus insulin might be a suitable alternative. Good luck and don't be teacher's pet @Cumberland lmao ;):)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The DAFNE course has been mentioned to me too, if my HbA1c levels don't improve my consultant said carb counting and basal/bolus insulin might be a suitable alternative. Good luck and don't be teacher's pet @Cumberland lmao ;):)
Can you seriously see me as teachers pet lol

I shall take my whoppee cushion with me and slide it under teachers chair

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Cumberland there is an online carb counting course that AccuCheck do. I found it when registering my Accucheck Mobile meter. There are other online carb counting courses too that other members could recommend, maybe @noblehead could give you pointers. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Cumberland there is an online carb counting course that AccuCheck do. I found it when registering my Accucheck Mobile meter. There are other online carb counting courses too that other members could recommend, maybe @noblehead could give you pointers. :)
Thank you Eddie Lad

I got an AccuCheck mobile meter will google this

Reactions: 5 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Eddie Lad

I got an AccuCheck mobile meter will google this
Just go to accucheck.com and register your membership and meter, the meter serial no is on the back of the mobile, you can order free spares as well.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the tag @eddie1968

TBH @Cumberland is better waiting until he is enrolled on course to learn about carb counting, it's only a fortnight away and he will learn more than the on-line courses have to offer.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Hi Noblehead

Yes it's the DAFNE course over 5 days
My diabetic team at hospital recommended it because I am in my ideal weight (not overweight or obese) they think I am insulin resistant to a certain degree, currently I inject 2 X Humulin @ 140 units at 10am and 10pm plus Novorapid with meals which varies depending on what I eat
Just begun carb counting

They think I will benefit even though I am type 2
Hi Cumberland
I can't answer from a type 2 view, but the basis of the course is dose adjustment for normal eating, so you have mentioned you are on fixed dose and then insulin with meals which sounds an ideal fit. It may have a result for you, but not sure if you already adjusting, it may help determine the correct levels of insulin you should take. I've done the course, it is much more than carb counting, it is looking for patterns in bg Vs time of day, exercise, carb portions, sick days, travel, etc and then adjusting by small corrections (of insulin in my experience) till you find what is correct for you. I hope you get something useful from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Cumberland
I can't answer from a type 2 view, but the basis of the course is dose adjustment for normal eating, so you have mentioned you are on fixed dose and then insulin with meals which sounds an ideal fit. It may have a result for you, but not sure if you already adjusting, it may help determine the correct levels of insulin you should take. I've done the course, it is much more than carb counting, it is looking for patterns in bg Vs time of day, exercise, carb portions, sick days, travel, etc and then adjusting by small corrections (of insulin in my experience) till you find what is correct for you. I hope you get something useful from it.
Thank you so much for your input

Looking forward to the course

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I enquired with the association here that runs our DAFNE course and I get a response saying you must be type 1 only. I actually let them know I'm an insulin dependant type 2 and they acknowledged there is nothing for type 2's in my boat. So they suggested if I wanted to learn anything I have to book sessions with a dietitian and diabetes educator. The thing is I've already seen both of those multiple times and I've not been taught much beyond how you inject and do what your endo told you to do. I think it is disgraceful that type 2's at later stage get left out of things that could be helpful.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Going on a 5 day DAFNE course in May. inclusive of meals, should be very educational.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think type 1's would have a problem getting into this course though... this is post is type 2's trying to get into the course. As it turns out I have no hope where I live. :(