Wanting to change basal insulin.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Hi, I have been low carbing for 8 months now. All good. Getting fairly regular night time issues, either going low or sometimes very high in morning.
Looked into changing my insulin as had been on lantus for many years and thought there may something new out there. There is. Tresiba. I researched it and it sounded as if it would be good for me.
DN said she would look into it. Now says I cannot have it as too pricey. She says to look at Tuojeo. It also may be too pricey but to do my own research! Have done my own research and it looks good for me, not perfect but better than the Lantus I am on now.
Anyone on Tresiba and been taken off it as it is too expensive? Anyone come off Lantus and gone onto Tuojeo? Do insulin costs come down over time?
Annoyed!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do insulin costs come down over time?
The costs for Lantus will certainly decrease in the near future. Their patent expired last year (I believe) which means other companies can create a generic (some already are). They have it tied up in courts at the moment, but that's essentially why Sanofi created Toujeo.

While I have seen some people claim to have improved management on Toujeo, there's certainly not enough information out there to even tempt me to change from my Levemir.

As far as Tresiba, I can't speak to it much and have done very little research on it. Its biggest claim is that it has an absorption profile that can last up to 42 hrs.

Personally, I use Levemir because it allows for more customization. It only lasts about 16 hrs for me which means I have to take two shots of it each day. However, that provides the benefit of adjusting each dose to keep my levels tigher.

In contrast, I'd probably use Tresiba if I had a habit of forgetting to take insulin. It's long-lasting profile seems like it would be particularly effective at avoiding DKA because you forgot to take your basal on any given day.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Tresiba for almost two years and it works well for me. GP grumbled about the cost, but I wasn't getting on with Lantus (unpredictable) and I had an allergy to Levemir.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The costs for Lantus will certainly decrease in the near future. Their patent expired last year (I believe) which means other companies can create a generic (some already are). They have it tied up in courts at the moment, but that's essentially why Sanofi created Toujeo.

While I have seen some people claim to have improved management on Toujeo, there's certainly not enough information out there to even tempt me to change from my Levemir.

As far as Tresiba, I can't speak to it much and have done very little research on it. Its biggest claim is that it has an absorption profile that can last up to 42 hrs.

Personally, I use Levemir because it allows for more customization. It only lasts about 16 hrs for me which means I have to take two shots of it each day. However, that provides the benefit of adjusting each dose to keep my levels tigher.

In contrast, I'd probably use Tresiba if I had a habit of forgetting to take insulin. It's long-lasting profile seems like it would be particularly effective at avoiding DKA because you forgot to take your basal on any given day.
If you lookup the action profile you will see Tresiba is amazingly flat. The action variability during the day I recall seeing quoted c. 20% as opposed to 80% for Levemir

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you lookup the action profile you will see Tresiba is amazingly flat. The action variability during the day I recall seeing quoted c. 20% as opposed to 80% for Levemir
I can vouch for it's flatness ;)

IMG_6404.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi, I have been low carbing for 8 months now. All good. Getting fairly regular night time issues, either going low or sometimes very high in morning.
Looked into changing my insulin as had been on lantus for many years and thought there may something new out there. There is. Tresiba. I researched it and it sounded as if it would be good for me.
DN said she would look into it. Now says I cannot have it as too pricey. She says to look at Tuojeo. It also may be too pricey but to do my own research! Have done my own research and it looks good for me, not perfect but better than the Lantus I am on now.
Anyone on Tresiba and been taken off it as it is too expensive? Anyone come off Lantus and gone onto Tuojeo? Do insulin costs come down over time?
Annoyed!
I have come off Levimer and gone onto Tuojeo on monday so only been on it for 3 days but looks good so far. Its more concentrated as well as it is 300 strengh so there is not so much liquid going into the body. It is supposed to last up to 36 hours so only haveing the one basal dose.(+mealtime bolus ) Less hypos so far

Reactions: 2 people

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. I think I will push for the Tuojeo and see how I go. Will report back.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
smag3, how did the change to tuojeo work for you?
My consultant suggested I use it instead of Lantus, because my workdays cannot be pre planned and some days are so physical that I have low sugars over many hours. He says Tuojeo is a flatter insulin and it doesn't matter if diabetics forget a dose?!?

K

Knikki

Hello @Dearbhla you might be waiting a while for an answer from smag3 because according to the info they have not been around for 28 weeks.

If your after a quicker answer you could try posting in a more open part of the forum or try the Type1 R Us thread :)

Reactions: Dearbhla