Metformin: nauseous all the time

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone - I'm Charlie.
I'm a type one, and take novorapid with everything I eat, on a 1u-10g after 10am and before that, 1u-6g basis, with 44 degaldec.
Last month my doctor started me on Metformin (just 500mg) to take with my evening meal, but each and every time - without fault - I've been nauseous and all around ill because of it. There was a brief period when my pharmacist wasn't able to supply me with Metformin for three or four days, and getting off the daily dose made me feel so much better. I'm in contact with my main clinic nurse, and she says just to see it through, but I'm missing a lot of school because of it, and I don't know whether this is normal, but...I'd just like some advice? I'm feeling terrible, and I'm laying in bed asleep half the time because of it - I get to sleep just after midnight, and have brief periods of wakefulness around seven or eight, before going right back to sleep until five in the afternoon. Is this normal?

Cauliflower_rice

I'm a type one, and take novorapid with everything I eat, on a 1u-10g after 10am and before that, 1u-6g basis, with 44 degaldec.
Last month my doctor started me on Metformin (just 500mg) to take with my evening meal, but each and every time - without fault - I've been nauseous and all around ill because of it. There was a brief period when my pharmacist wasn't able to supply me with Metformin for three or four days, and getting off the daily dose made me feel so much better. I'm in contact with my main clinic nurse, and she says just to see it through, but I'm missing a lot of school because of it, and I don't know whether this is normal, but...I'd just like some advice? I'm feeling terrible, and I'm laying in bed asleep half the time because of it - I get to sleep just after midnight, and have brief periods of wakefulness around seven or eight, before going right back to sleep until five in the afternoon. Is this normal?
Hi, My brother is a type 2 diabetic and started on metformin recently... like you he has felt very ill, really ill, like you, he has gone back to his Doctor and at present feels much better not on it. Lets hope you both find an acceptable alternative -

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Hi @Charlemagne G.

There is a Slow Release version - called Metformin SR. Ask your doc about this if you're sensitive to the standard variant. Many people on the forums find this beneficial.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
It took me a few weeks to feel better on Metformin,I felt sick and not wanting to eat, I felt a bit tired perhaps because I couldnt eat much and didnt have much energy.
I wasnt as tired as you seem to be.

Johndotcom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some of the stupid suggestions made by Diabetes Consultant, who seems to know less than patients, we don't all fit in this typical box!
I've been on 1000mg x twice daily Metformin for many years now together with being on a Insulin Pump.
I appear every few months to get a couple of weeks of sickness and feeling ill, but then seems to return to normal till it happens again. I have told GP send Insulin Pump clinic, their only suggestion is to halve dosage why I feel ill, and prescribed anti sickness tablets and another tab to help, then put it back up again when fine. In that case why do I have to take it? It is meant to help the Insulin work better for me, but as I don't find any difference when on half doses, it now seems a complete waste of time. I'm type 1 insulin for 50 years, and on many other drugs for conditions, suffer severe pain on various pain killers and Morphine of 140mg daily plus, liquid Morphine for when pain just not bearable.

Last edited by a moderator: