Apple cider vinegar.

BARRE037FE

Got up at 3-00AM THIS MORNING HAD 2TABLE SPOONS OF CIDER VINIGAR THEN A BOWL OF PORRIDGE MY READING BEFORE WAS 6. 2HOURS AFTER IT WAS 16-8. DOES THIS VINIGAR WORK ON TYPE 2 DIEBETIC

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi,Barre037fe, it will be the porridge, most posters here aviod carbs as much as possible
I will ask. @daisy1. For the helpful info pack for you,have a good read and come back with any q's,clive

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a person of the diabetic persuasion (hey! I've been reading the postings about the word 'diabetic' :p) who suffers from the dawn phenomenon (DP) - my liver churns out what looks like tons of my own self-made glucose in the wee hours of the morning - I am very keen to experiment this month - and see if I can improve my Fasting Blood Glucose (FBG) with Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and stick to it for a whole month! I have taken it before, but tend to let it drop, as it is not a pleasant thing for me to do. And by taking it at bedtime, I found it had the same excitable effect on me as coffee - ie I couldn't go to sleep till 3am! And this was a repeated effect. But I am still trying to see what I can do to get as close to normal blood glucose readings without taking metformin (which will help lower the DP almost certainly). So the month of March is going to be the month of ACV!

Anyone keen to join in? Compare FBGs? And the HBA1c after a month? And see if there is any change...

For example, my FBG this morning was 7.3 :-( (And my carb intake yesterday would have been hard-pressed to be about 30 or 35g tops)
My latest (a few days ago) HBA1c - 44.

I will try taking ACV after dinner and before an after-dinner walk, and see if that deals to the keeping me awake effect! But still helps lower my FBGs... hopefully.

And take ACV, a weaker concoction maybe to prevent 'the sucking on a sour lemon' effect :yuck:, first thing on waking in the morning.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will apple cider vinegar interact with diabetic medicines like metformin or gliclazide ?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As far as my understanding of it goes @MarcoRiveria - it's not that there is an actual chemical interaction, but that because ACV does actually affect your blood glucose levels (and all the scientific studies and anecdotal evidence suggest that it really does) - you have to be careful if you taking medications that you don't overdo it and have a hypo. Hence telling your doctor you are taking ACV medicinally as well, so if necessary your meds can be adjusted, or just simply - you are on the lookout for a hypo, and your doctor is on the lookout at you!

As for me and my ACV experiment - I had better move it over to another sub-forum, once I find the right one....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to eat some mustard with meals and the vinegar does help my BS a little but I certainly can't eat carbs with it. It is not a miracle cure but will lower me a tich.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's the acetic acid. So save a few bob, and swig down ordinary cheapo malt or distilled vinegar http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/281.full
The only thing is - isn't it the 'mother' providing the really good stuff too? As in the probiotic advantage as well?

I swigged down some ordinary vinegar when out last night , as a grand-niece made some sugary dessert for me and I just hated to say no to her, so I thought I would give it a whirl, and see if it worked. Or, worked somewhat. I didn't take my BG until this morning, and it was 6.7 (and not in the 7s or even 8 which two jellies, a pud, and a tbsp of ice cream would normally do the next day by memory.)

So worth raiding loved one's pantries for a swig of vinegar with water when offered carby food at their place for dinner? Yes! I would say.

Reactions: leatrix

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The 'mother' has nutritional value but for me it has lots of wind, LOL. Mustard works better FOR ME

Reactions: 2 people

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I thought no harm in trying. I've been having it for 5 days now, after lunch and before bed, it seems good for my UTI symptoms.

Haven't really tested yet its effect on my blood sugar, will try to do it next week.

The main side effect on me is that I may need some food with laxative effect.

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Nothing will save you from the carbs in porridge. My dietician was telling me I should get into it because it's low gi, good fibre and lowers cholesterol....but it spikes my sugar levels.

I drink apple cider vinegar (with mother) for the probiotic but less so now that I've discovered Kombucha which I feel has stabilised my BS readings (less spikey).