Carbs & sugars

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could someone please tell me how many grams of sugar & carbs we should have a day?

Thanks x

RobPL

It's all about what suits your body and your lifestyle and your aims.
Some people on here are on over 100g of carbs a day and some are on a lot lower.
Myself I am on less than 20g a day.
I am type 2 diabetic and am very overweight. I have lost almost 1.5 stone since I started restricting carbs but I have another 4 stone to lose. This is why 20g is suitable for me at the moment.
I'm sure that will change as I lose weight and go from weight loss to managing weight and diabetes for life.
So we need to know a bit more about you to assist with this question.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No sugar at all as far as is possible.
Carbs in general is up to you. Everyone has a personal tolerance level. The only way to find yours is to use a meter to test before and after you eat carbs, then reduce the portions until you no longer get unacceptable spikes. This may mean cutting some of them out completely. Personally I eat up to 30g a day, often less, none at breakfast, some at lunch, and the rest for evening meal. It took a lot of testing, trial and error to find my tolerance level.

Reactions: 12 people

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm talking more about hidden carbs. I am very underweight. But if I eat potatoes or rice it sends my BG up. But I need the carbs to put on weight. My BG read 10.9 this afternoon the lowest ever. Although i need to pick up weight I am eating for someone that is trying to lose weight. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with T2, but I'm scared I might b T1. Dr has just upped Metformin to 4 a day & this morning I started Gliclazide. So what happens now?? Just got to wait and see x

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same problem I was never overweight but when I started lower carb I lost quite a lot. I did come to a plateau and stopped loosing but I have never regained all the weight I lost. I am not very low carb I just cut out the starchy ones no rice or pasta and a little bread or potatoes maybe once a week and of course no sugar stuff. Nuts,avocados,cheese, butter and cream can help to keep the weight up

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm talking more about hidden carbs. I am very underweight. But if I eat potatoes or rice it sends my BG up. But I need the carbs to put on weight. My BG read 10.9 this afternoon the lowest ever. Although i need to pick up weight I am eating for someone that is trying to lose weight. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with T2, but I'm scared I might b T1. Dr has just upped Metformin to 4 a day & this morning I started Gliclazide. So what happens now?? Just got to wait and see x

NO you don't need carbs to put on weight. You need extra fat and maybe extra protein. You have to find the right balance to put on weight or maintain. It is trial and error, but increasing carbs is not the way to go, believe me. Are you eating low fat? Avoiding dairy? Vegetarian? Not eating enough? Other medical problems?

Have you suddenly lost weight, or have you been slight for a long time? Weight loss can be a symptom of T1 and if you suspect this then you must ask your GP for the appropriate tests that will confirm matters one way or the other.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Two choices, eat carbs and take medication to overcome the BG or avoid carbs and find something else to gain weight. Carbohydrate aren't the only source of calories. See if you can get a c-peptide test, it will tell you if your pancreas is working or not. If you look at the side effects of Gliclazide, weight gain is one of them. I gained 10 kgs, only I didn't want to.

As somebody who can gain weight by looking at food, I'm intrigued by the notion of needing to gain weight. I have heard it before but didn't ask why? Does being underweight cause any medical problems?

Reactions: 6 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two choices, eat carbs and take medication to overcome the BG or avoid carbs and find something else to gain weight. Carbohydrate aren't the only source of calories. See if you can get a c-peptide test, it will tell you if your pancreas is working or not. If you look at the side effects of Gliclazide, weight gain is one of them. I gained 10 kgs, only I didn't want to.

As somebody who can gain weight by looking at food, I'm intrigued by the notion of needing to gain weight. I have heard it before but didn't ask why? Does being underweight cause any medical problems?

Some people are very thin because of medical problems and it is more difficult to find the right balance of food to keep them at a stable weight. Many really thin people can have a poor appetite and to thin can be as bad as being overweight as it can cause problems with general health
For us natural skinnies we can loose weight as quickly as you say you can put it on but we find it difficult to regain that weight. Metformin has been suppressing my appetite somewhat so I am not eating as much as I did and have now lost some weight again hopefully I will get my normal appetite back again soon

five2one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could someone please tell me how many grams of sugar & carbs we should have a day?

Thanks x
Sugar and carbs are technically the same thing as carbs turn into sugar eventually so it's a total you want to see the low carb program is really good you should try that :) x

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Metformin has been suppressing my appetite somewhat so I am not eating as much as I did and have now lost some weight again hopefully I will get my normal appetite back again soon
Metformin isn't the easiest to deal with, my problems were mostly to do with after eating, if you know what I mean. Although this problem was never as severe after I cut my carbs, do you think the carb cutting might help?
You can call me jealous if you like, the worst think about being overweight is that everyone assumes you eat loads and loads. On two separate occasions I've actually had people (two women actually and complete strangers) ask me if I considered dieting or having bariatric surgery.
Hopefully your appetite will return soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

reidpj

Up your protein (if you can). Dietary protein elicits an insulin response (approx. 50% that of glucose - fat approx. 10%); insulin is, sometimes, referred to as the 'fat storage' hormone. It has been noted that a lot of people who follow a High Protein Low Carb diet fail to lose weight, and some actually gain.

I, myself, follow a Very High Fat (approx. 82%), Moderate Protein (16% = average 66g/day), and Very Low Carb (2% = average 11g/day - all of these carbs are 'hidden', I haven't touched a piece of fruit or veg (except for peanuts and olives) in the last 6 months

Reactions: 3 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are not eating fruit and veg I hope you are eating vitamin supplements. You will be losing a lot of essential vitamins and minerals by not eating fruit and veg. Also it is possible to go too low with carbohydrates. Your brain needs to function. You need some carbohydrate otherwise you might be in danger of damaging your brain. Fats take a long time to digest.12-48hrs fruit/veg 30mins carbohydrates 3-8hrs roughtly depending on what they are. You do not need much carbohydrate but do take some.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you are not eating fruit and veg I hope you are eating vitamin supplements. You will be losing a lot of essential vitamins and minerals by not eating fruit and veg. Also it is possible to go too low with carbohydrates. Your brain needs to function. You need some carbohydrate otherwise you might be in danger of damaging your brain. Fats take a long time to digest.12-48hrs fruit/veg 30mins carbohydrates 3-8hrs roughtly depending on what they are. You do not need much carbohydrate but do take some.
You do not need to eat any carbs. Your body will easily maintain an appropriate blood glucose level by converting protein and/or fat to glucose. Also, meat has all the nutrients a human requires. There's no need to take supplements unless you have a verified deficiency, although if you don't get much sun exposure a vitamin D3 supplement is a good idea.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have the same issue, on the low BMI side. 10.9 as your lowest is still high, and I hope the Gliclazide works for you. Give it a week, but don't only wait and see. Help the meds, go low carbs while at it (like less rice at 1/2 cup or even 1/4, more protein and fat), and exercise. Let the blood sugars go down first, 5 to 6.5 is a nice starting target, like before dinner. Morning fasting level will be better too in time.

If the gliclazide is still not working in a week or two despite low carbing and exercising, then you have to go back for another diagnosis, IMHO. If it works, then doing the same routine should help stop the weight loss and just add more protein, fat, and keep on exercising. Maybe go to some bodybuilding site and find out the best timing for exercise, before or after protein meals.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry but you will never convince me having no carbs a day is not playing russian roulette with your Brain. The Brain is extremely glucose hungry. If you are only eating proteins and fats for your glucose they take between 12-48hrs to digest if your gut bacteria is healthy .I doubt they are since you are not eating vegetables nor fruits, you put yourself in danger for no reason except to cut out carbs.

reidpj

I am sorry but you will never convince me having no carbs a day is not playing russian roulette with your Brain. The Brain is extremely glucose hungry. If you are only eating proteins and fats for your glucose they take between 12-48hrs to digest if your gut bacteria is healthy .I doubt they are since you are not eating vegetables nor fruits, you put yourself in danger for no reason except to cut out carbs.

Hi

No one is trying to convince you of anything - in fact, it's the other way around

Even if dietary fats/proteins did take 12 to 24 hours to fully digest (which they don't), it would make no difference to the level of gluconeogenesis, as there are plenty of stored/circulating substrates around to meet the demand - how does the brain cope during periods of fasting?

Gut bacteria (healthy?) are not needed to digest dietary fats or proteins. In fact, I can find no good scientific research that shows a biological need for gut bacteria 'healthy' or not - there are plenty that show that replacing some with less unhealthy ones is beneficial, but none ( far as my research has shown) that show that any are 'healthy'.

I have had (under my endo's insistance) a full battery of tests; none of which shows any deficiency. It would seem, that I am getting everything I need from my diet (as per NOCarb's post above).

You may find the following interesting:

http://www.ketotic.org/2013/11/similarities-between-germ-free-mice-and.html

http://www.empiri.ca/2012/08/my-carnivorous-diet.html

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-brain-function-fasting-24/

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Once your body's adapted, your brain works perfectly well on fat/ketones. It's actually quite natural and healthy. Breastfed babies are an example of how natural this is.

I don't necessarily agree with NO carbs at all - as I believe I need the vitamins and minerals and fibre I get from the very low carb vegetables and berries I eat, but I don't believe that I need these at all for their actual carbohydrate value.

@NoCrbs4Me is a complete advocate of no carbs at all, and I've seen no evidence that he's actually brain dead yet...:D

Robbity

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@NoCrbs4Me is a complete advocate of no carbs at all, and I've seen no evidence that he's actually brain dead yet...:D

Robbity

I am a complete advocate for zero carb for myself, however, barring other health issues it should work for anybody. I don't seem to be mineral/vitamin/fibre deficient. A very simple way to demonstrate that carbs are not necessary is that I don't have hypos. If my brain or any other part of me was using glucose faster than I could make it, then I'd get hypos. I don't.

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember a thread about LCHF and resulting lack of hypos?

Robbity

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been VLC for 25+ years (under 20) and I am even lower carb now, just a small salad at dinner and 1/2 and avocado and I feel better than ever. I would never eat a potato or rice or any such carby food and not because I don't like them but they make me feel awful and not just from a BS stand point. stomach ache, sleepy etc. To each his own but carbs are not a required food group. Some people just enjoy them....