Not open for further replies.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I am not sure what constitutes a spike in BG levels. Mine range between 6.5 mmol/l and 9.5 mmol/l is this considered a spike?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello AlbertLaidlaw,welcome to the forum,a spike is defined as a rise of more than 3 mmols after eating.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1457539621.557361.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think 3mmol/l is far too generous. The thinking seems to be that it is better to be at say 6mmol/l all day than at 4mmol/l with a spike to say 6mmol/l after each meal. Too many variations in levels is what appears to cause the damage. As flat as possible is the answer, nice gentle waves on a graph rather than mountain peaks, but we all know that is difficult, and certainly impossible if we eat too many carbs.
The general advice given on this forum is to keep spikes down to under 2mmol/, preferably under 1.5mmol.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the % of the change that really matters rather than the actual amount.

4 to 6 is a bigger spike than 6 to 8

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the % of the change that really matters rather than the actual amount.

4 to 6 is a bigger spike than 6 to 8

Where has the 4 to 6 figure data come from?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can assure you the numbers appeared on the screen after I pressed the corresponding key.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can assure you the numbers appeared on the screen after I pressed the corresponding key.

Unfortunately, the op, being a newbie, may not appreciate your idea of a joke, and may not have realised you were simply making it up.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 I still have not achieved the pre meal range yet. Ive been taking medicines since last September. I have reached the after meals range though. For me a spike is what my bs read when I eat oats (30g) or shredded wheat, I got a BS reading of 15 an hour after eating either.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you dig out CGM traces for non diabetics they rarely go above 8 mmol but do spike between 4 and 8. I would suggest that is really what we all ideally aim for or as close as our individual cases and diet/lifestyle choices allow.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a nice example of what's an unacceptable spike for me:

spike.png

Shows what scoffing sugar does to me at the start of the graph against a smaller gentler rise from a slightly carby meal towards the right hand end. Other small low carb meals showed virtually no changes at all.

Grey bar shows 4.5 to 7.5 mmol/L range; yellow dots show (incomplete) start and end of pre meal to 2 hours post meal periods. All data from 24hours worth of continuous monitoring on a Freestle Libre. Levels are actually slightly lower than spot checks on my Contour Next give me.

Robbity

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robbity before everyone else gets an inferiority conplex I would suggest this is a pretty **** good day and nobody should be shooting themselves for spiking to a 10 for an hour or so.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @steve_p6 - apart from that spike it was also a very nice example of what low carbing can do for me; most days my levels are a bit more wiggly, but it was the only time where I had such a good example of a big (for me) spike on the Libre. Data from my meter can't show things quite so dramatically.

And I've now had two and a bit years of low carb lifestyle practicing to improve glucose levels.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me today it's been going from 5.8 to 8.5 1 hour after eating a McChicken sandwich fool that I am in fact at first I thought I was holding the meter upside down.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Unfortunately, the op, being a newbie, may not appreciate your idea of a joke, and may not have realised you were simply making it up.

4 to 6 is 50% ...6 to 8 is 33.3%

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
4 to 6 is 50% ...6 to 8 is 33.3%
the numbers mathematically add up - but somebody experiencing a 4 to 6 rise every day would not need to worry to be fair( non diabetic) -- somebody doing 6 to 8 would have a bit ( not loads more ) more cause for concern

Status
Not open for further replies.