Is high Blood Pressure inevitable

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I agree with Sirmione, a couple of minutes of slow deep breathing before the cuff goes on works for me

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thx for the tips , it's ironic isn't it I reverse my diabetes and this enters the scene , agh well relaxing techniques here we come , just have to sort it out, no point in feeling sorry for myself lol holiday memories here we come.

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks , I have had a strange last three days , I can't seem to beat my fear not only of the nurse testing my BP but after Recent events with the 24 hours monitor ( see previous post) I have become obsessed with the home monitor and after 6-8 great readings last night the monitor started climbing up , and I bought into it and obsessed for hours trying to get an ok reading, even when I got an ok reading I obsesses to get two in a row and guess what the second was 150/80 . Any thoughts on staying calm with this as its just started this cuff fear a few months ago. White coat is a real drag when it creeps into the home monitor to, need to master the mind.

Hi, I have a monitor at home too as I was diagnosed with hypertension. I'm on ramipril to treat it. What I do is only test myself 1-2 times a day if I'm feeling ok. If I'm not feeling ok, then I will test more. I find that my BP does go quite high when I'm fighting infections, etc. I have to be careful too because along with the high BP I also get a high heart rate which is known as sinus tachycardia. So in the past any time I've had to call an ambulance I've had both high BP and high heart rate and they treat you as an emergency especially because I'm diabetic. I guess they think we're at high risk of serious things. I usually feel the worst too when I have both the high BP and heart rate. But if you're feeling ok, try and encourage yourself to only test at a set time of day, or twice a day if that will help. If you notice a high reading they do say you should get 3 high readings before you need to be concerned. I know it's hard to not obsess when you want to keep your BP in normal range. It also may be that you need meds to help, or a dosage change if you're already on meds. I hope that helps. :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
also I should add I do freak out myself when I test in the morning and I'm 147/93 (which I was the other day). But then I remember I spent the night in pain so pain elevates it as well. :(

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just of the phone to the doctor from my work insurance as I am still testing high with my home monitor this morning . I told him I seen to have developed a kind of phobia ( white coat)to testing in and out of the docs surgery now . I do have a sort of head cold / virus which is making me paranoid more about this.
The doc suggested most diabetics have high blood pressure and need ramparol to protect the kidneys , I don't remember the prof from the Newcastle diet mentioning this , the inevitability is my concern? Please advise..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you need to do a thorough search of the internet for information on Ramarol.

I don't think PRofessor Taylor of the ND has ever made bp a focus of his work. He works with diet and obesity, so any bp info would be incidental, although possibly a starting point for further research.

S

Sean01

I read through all of these and there's a huge amount of sense out there. I have had high blood pressure for most of my adult life. Eventually I was put on meds to control it and it was still at the high end of normal. I was 23 stone and athletic - but also in denial. I was 23 stone when doing marathons and I have never thought of myself as excessively big (there's the denial) but since diagnosis (T2, Oct 15, metformin/exercise/diet) I have lost a lot of weight and my BP is now 100/70 and sometimes slightly lower.
Get a home testing kit
Test yourself at the same time each day (when it is calm and quiet)
Keep a record (include anything that might cause stress)
Eat suitable foods that help with blood pressure. (onions and garlic)
Hoping to come of the blood pressure meds at some stage.

C

catherinecherub

Just of the phone to the doctor from my work insurance as I am still testing high with my home monitor this morning . I told him I seen to have developed a kind of phobia ( white coat)to testing in and out of the docs surgery now . I do have a sort of head cold / virus which is making me paranoid more about this.
The doc suggested most diabetics have high blood pressure and need ramparol to protect the kidneys , I don't remember the prof from the Newcastle diet mentioning this , the inevitability is my concern? Please advise..
I think the medication you are referring to is Ramipril.
This is often prescribed for people with diabetes as it protects the kidneys.
I personally think that you are in a state of flux about your blood pressure and the stress is raising your BP when you test. I used to have a home monitor when I was first diagnosed and became obsessed about recording my BP. and a high reading would upset me. I used to dread what the reading would be and this didn't help.
Blood pressure is not static and the more you become obsessed about it then the more your readings will fluctuate.
If you can sit quietly for a few minutes prior to taking a reading and let your mind drift rather than concentrating on your B.P. then you may find that things improve.

10 factors that can influence blood pressure.
http://blog.suntechmed.com/blog/32-...ctors-that-can-affect-blood-pressure-readings

Reactions: 4 people

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think the medication you are referring to is Ramipril.
This is often prescribed for people with diabetes as it protects the kidneys.
I personally think that you are in a state of flux about your blood pressure and the stress is raising your BP when you test. I used to have a home monitor when I was first diagnosed and became obsessed about recording my BP. and a high reading would upset me. I used to dread what the reading would be and this didn't help.
Blood pressure is not static and the more you become obsessed about it then the more your readings will fluctuate.
If you can sit quietly for a few minutes prior to taking a reading and let your mind drift rather than concentrating on your B.P. then you may find that things improve.

10 factors that can influence blood pressure.
http://blog.suntechmed.com/blog/32-...ctors-that-can-affect-blood-pressure-readings
That kind of sums it up really , the mind is a powerful thing eh?

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
PS , My home monitor was such a good pal as well , the ambulator put the cat amongst the pigeons , I've had one of these phsicological viruses going on throughout the last few days and that makes one a bit doom and gloomy , suppose me and my home monitor just got to make sweet music again eh, I'll wait to the virus goes before I start courting the monitor again me thinks.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I suffer white coat quite badly. Even when I was young and fit my BP was sky high at the doctors. Once took a navy Dr 20 mins for me to relax enough to get a reasonable result. I even suffer when I take my own.

My coping scheme now is I put the cuff on and then let my wife trigger it just before I go to sleep.