Not losing weight and Metformin

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not feeling healthy and in tip top condition
Hey Thank you for the encouragement, I am going to keep a diary of what I am eating , today egg and bacon, boiled egg, spinach and a few shavings of Parmesan, mid afternoon almonds and an evening meal of minced beef, peppers, cheese . BG was 5.9 before eating , will test again before bed .

Reactions: 3 people

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I don't know my carbs as I don't test on advice from my D/nurse. But being a chocoholic still hanging around from Xmas and before, temptations are high. I have lost 1 and a 1/2 stone in the last four months now standing at 11.7 stone. Advice. should I go for testing or continue to take a guess ?

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For all those chocoholics - have you tried the Cavalier chocolate from Waitrose -only 1.8 carbs for 10 g or the Lindt 85% dark chocolate -it's 1.9 for 10 grams. So I have 20 grams after lunch with a few almonds when I feel like a treat!
I know others on the forum have found sweet treats that won't 'break the carb bank'...!!

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I don't know my carbs as I don't test on advice from my D/nurse. But being a chocoholic still hanging around from Xmas and before, temptations are high. I have lost 1 and a 1/2 stone in the last four months now standing at 11.7 stone. Advice. should I go for testing or continue to take a guess ?

Mik, I would strongly suggest you ignore the advice from your diabetic nurse because it has no scientific base. It is usually for financial reasons (although they would never admit it) and they give reasons such as "what could you do with the results", "only for those on insulin", your fingers will get sore"..and so on. The best way, without a doubt, to get a handle on your levels is to test yourself and buy a meter. It is actually the strips that are the problem as they are expensive, but there is a meter called the SD Codefree, which a lot of us use, that isn't too dear and the strips are the cheapest - plus it's easy to use. When you test, you will find out what foods affect you and as well as the usual choc/sweets/puddings culprits, you will find that pasta, rice, bread and potatoes are often pretty bad culprits too.

Give it a go, get your meter, and we can help out with the levels and grub side of things:)

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Thanks. Tomorrow I see my DN. I can't wait for the result, (and a blood test to boot). She might disown me.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
A
Thanks. Tomorrow I see my DN. I can't wait for the result, (and a blood test to boot). She might disown me.

Ah..but we won't :D

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mike - I have some spare pots of Code free strips as I bought in bulk using a coupon code from a forum member - but now I've been sent a free acu check meter and my GP prescribes the test sticks - so if you want to send me a private message with your address -I can put a pot in the post for you - if that helps.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Mike - I have some spare pots of Code free strips as I bought in bulk using a coupon code from a forum member - but now I've been sent a free acu check meter and my GP prescribes the test sticks - so if you want to send me a private message with your address -I can put a pot in the post for you - if that helps.
Thanks for your very generous offer. I shall wait until I get the results from my BT which is tomorrow. About a week, all being well. Of course I might be able to convince the nurse to supply a meter etc. I await with trepidation.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds good, you've made a great start :)
and can I just say 5.6 this morning :) I have been having readings of 8 and over in the mornings , so pleased at the moment !!

Reactions: 6 people

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@kazzers

Carb cravings can be horrible.

You may find (if your body works anything like mine) that the cravings are triggered by eating carbs, but die away if you don't eat carbs for a few days. It is like an addiction.

So once you (I) get through the first few days, it really does get easier.

Another trick is to eat plenty of good, filling, satisfying low carb foods to get you through the craving days then, when they have died away, start reducing food a bit and focusing on weightloss after.

Hope that helps.
Thank you I am leaving it for a few weeks before I post on here again but I am SO pleased that I am having readings of 5.6, 5.8 , 5.4 etc etc No more 8.6 7.5 etc Low carbing and thrilled to bits . !! I am grateful to everyone who has posted a reply to me (well almost everyone ) Thanks again

Reactions: 7 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I am leaving it for a few weeks before I post on here again but I am SO pleased that I am having readings of 5.6, 5.8 , 5.4 etc etc No more 8.6 7.5 etc Low carbing and thrilled to bits . !! I am grateful to everyone who has posted a reply to me (well almost everyone ) Thanks again
Keep it up and do come back to let us know how your going - remember 1 day at a time and if you feel you are struggling there's plenty of support here:)

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Keep it up and do come back to let us know how your going - remember 1 day at a time and if you feel you are struggling there's plenty of support here:)
thank you I WILL be back :)

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Hi Tirianne
To update. I did not see the D/N Just had blood samples taken, but I do have a new date for a visit next Friday. I also have an appointment with the Doctor at the end of the month and have sent him a letter saying that I wish to go for the LCDiet.
We wait to see what happens with regard to the daily testing.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Hi Tirianne
To update. I did not see the D/N Just had blood samples taken, but I do have a new date for a visit next Friday. I also have an appointment with the Doctor at the end of the month and have sent him a letter saying that I wish to go for the LCDiet.
We wait to see what happens with regard to the daily testing.
Update
I have just seen my D/Nurse and have shown her four days of detailed food consumption and related carbs etc based on a LC DIET seen here. She appeared to be quite impressed and offered me a GlucoRX Nexus but said they were not able to supply lances or test strips due to costs. I was shown how to use the machine which came with a very small supply of lances and test strips. (Quite a change in attitude. Or is it me ?)
The reading then was 5.4 which I was told was OK under the circumstances. Several hours after lunch I attempted to re-test but got it all wrong. (So I'm old and need practice.)
I have just ordered more supplies, which should be here within a day or so.
I am now sorting out what results I can expect when I test no more than four times a day. Maybe ?/
Thanks for all your advice

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still get carb cravings, and sometimes I fall off the wagon, but mostly the low carb diet works for me and is one I've stuck to for longer. I tend to think of it more as a way of keeping my blood sugar lower though, because as soon as I think I'm dieting I have a tendency to self-sabotage.
If I think of it more as keeping myself well by low carbing, and I do feel a whole lot better on this way of eating, then I stick to it better and a side effect is I lose weight.
Basically I just don't eat bread, potatoes or pasta and avoid any other products made from flour.
If I do fall off the wagon I regret it because it makes the cravings worse and I don't feel so well. So you'd think it would be simple to stay on the low carb thing, but life's never so easy is it?

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I still get carb cravings, and sometimes I fall off the wagon, but mostly the low carb diet works for me and is one I've stuck to for longer. I tend to think of it more as a way of keeping my blood sugar lower though, because as soon as I think I'm dieting I have a tendency to self-sabotage.
If I think of it more as keeping myself well by low carbing, and I do feel a whole lot better on this way of eating, then I stick to it better and a side effect is I lose weight.
Basically I just don't eat bread, potatoes or pasta and avoid any other products made from flour.
If I do fall off the wagon I regret it because it makes the cravings worse and I don't feel so well. So you'd think it would be simple to stay on the low carb thing, but life's never so easy is it?
Hi RosieLKH
I am having trouble trying to find acceptable replacements for my lifelong food choices, roast beef, roast potatoes, fresh green peas, cheese on toast, chocolate, ice cream. I could go on, (and usually do). I am not a great fan of "foreign" dishes so finding acceptable replacements is a slow process. So meals are itsi bitsi.. Bread is being replaced by dark brown heavy weight chunks. Pots by pink, sweet potatoes. Ugh!!
I am still searching, looking through LCDs.
When I was little I remember loving bread and milk with sugar, as a cereal.
I think I had better stick to what's possible. It will be less traumatic.
Cheers