ignorance from other diabetics about our treatment

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 2 aged 40
10 years earlier I had bouts of chronic pancreatitis I later discovered I was born with a split pancreas (pancreas divisum)

Since being diagnosed I was put on bolus and basal insulin as well as metformin

I carb count and just recently been on a DAFNE course

I think I am type 1 as I have been told that my pancreas is all but dead

I have never been overweight and maintained a steady weight throughout adult life

Type 2 folk I find are ridiculed by people who should know better

I work in a hospital and a non diabetic colleague of mine scolded me once for eating some chips saying diabetics should not eat ANY chips at all, I was in quite the mood for retaliation as I countered with 'It makes me sick how people can snipe at others as if they themselves are perfect' before scoffing the rest of my chips

Mod edit to remove inappropriate reference to work colleague.

That's a worry for your colleague to say that to you :eek: although not surprising though as I've had a lot of "should you be eating that" from people in the past.

I was diagnosed at age 25 which at the time was considered too young because it was called mature onset diabetes. I was also diagnosed with PCOS the same day and told I would've been living with that undiagnosed for some time. I was also told that was the reason why I developed type 2 at a young age. I remember telling people when I was first diagnosed that I had type 2 and they'd just shake their heads and say no you can't have that as you're too young, you must be type 1. So I've been having to explain myself forever it seems since I've been diagnosed. Now I'm having to explain to type 1's that yes I'm definitely on insulin and why. I just get annoyed I guess that people assume things without understanding the condition, or even thinking it is serious as was the case with the type 1's responding in the post I mentioned earlier. My pancreas is hardly producing insulin either but I'm still type 2 as no evidence of auto immune for me. My last GAD was negative and the c-peptide showed my pancreas just isn't doing its job.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Those that say they're not on Facebook, etc... I'm online a lot and the reason for that is I can't hardly talk because I live with reflux laryngitis and muscle tension dysphonia.... otherwise I probably would be on the phone/skype or chatting to people in person. My illnesses are quite isolating. Facebook is like a lifeline for me to connect with people without talking.

Hi mep, that is understandable and billions of people also use FB. I do have a FB account, but I don't go ion t much ( my teen loves it and I do not have skype, don't want it) and I really don't want to view the 'diabetes talk' on FB, but I have seen it in the past.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
That's a worry for your colleague to say that to you :eek: although not surprising though as I've had a lot of "should you be eating that" from people in the past.

I was diagnosed at age 25 which at the time was considered too young because it was called mature onset diabetes. I was also diagnosed with PCOS the same day and told I would've been living with that undiagnosed for some time. I was also told that was the reason why I developed type 2 at a young age. I remember telling people when I was first diagnosed that I had type 2 and they'd just shake their heads and say no you can't have that as you're too young, you must be type 1. So I've been having to explain myself forever it seems since I've been diagnosed. Now I'm having to explain to type 1's that yes I'm definitely on insulin and why. I just get annoyed I guess that people assume things without understanding the condition, or even thinking it is serious as was the case with the type 1's responding in the post I mentioned earlier. My pancreas is hardly producing insulin either but I'm still type 2 as no evidence of auto immune for me. My last GAD was negative and the c-peptide showed my pancreas just isn't doing its job.
I hope you don't encounter any negatives from off this site

Generally speaking some good folk on here helpful friendly etc

25 sounds young to me too mep

Reactions: 3 people

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm on both bolus and basal insulins. I also have hardly any insulin being produced. I have no choice but to be on insulin. I'm definitely type 2 though.

I'm on a bolus/Basel regime as well as a type 2 - I use novo rapid (carb count) and levimir 56 units at the moment x

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had met with one of my clients earlier this week and it turns out he is a diabetic (type 2) also.

We got to talking and he's insulin-dependent using an omnipod and also uses a Dexcom. It was a really cool conversation and we shared things I would have never discussed in a business setting. What's funny is that as soon as he found out I was a diabetic, he lifted up his shirt and showed me his OmniPod. If someone had looked into my office it probably would have looked pretty hilarious.

I thought the interaction was really cool and I suppose one of the few good things about this disease and how it can bring people together.

Reactions: 8 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had met with one of my clients earlier this week and it turns out he is a diabetic (type 2) also.

We got to talking and he's insulin-dependent using an omnipod and also uses a Dexcom. It was a really cool conversation and we shared things I would have never discussed in a business setting. What's funny is that as soon as he found out I was a diabetic, he lifted up his shirt and showed me his OmniPod. If someone had looked into my office it probably would have looked pretty hilarious.

I thought the interaction was really cool and I suppose one of the few good things about this disease and how it can bring people together.

That's awesome that you were both able to chat about things. It's true though there are some good things about having the disease (never thought I'd say that. lol). My type 1 friend often chats to me about diabetes and she is trying to talk me into getting a pump. She knows I'm type 2 of course and knows I have insulin deficiency. She'd never heard of that herself either, but when I explained it she was happy to learn something new. We were both going to the same diabetic clinic at the time too. At the moment I'm happy with MDI, and not even sure if I can get a pump or not. She thinks I can and I should as I've been on MDI for over 6 years now. But right now I am happy with MDI. I would like to get a CGM though. She was talking me into getting that too.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I am T2 on lots of mixed insulin. I am also prone to DKA and use two meters, Accucheck and Glucomen LX Plus B-Ketone meter. T1's have said I can't be producing ketones if I'm T2 in the past but some T2's are prone to it. :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 on lots of mixed insulin. I am also prone to DKA and use two meters, Accucheck and Glucomen LX Plus B-Ketone meter. T1's have said I can't be producing ketones if I'm T2 in the past but some T2's are prone to it. :)

Yes, I'm the same. The ER got me to eat again last night as I hadn't eaten for 10 hours. They had just done a urine test on me too so I knew it was ketones otherwise they don't even bother fussing.